National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Lowering of the tackle height

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering of the tackle height
    Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 13:42
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 15:42
It will be interesting how referees interpret the ball carriers dipping before a tackle. 

Lineouts will certainly become a lottery!

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Full Bodied Red View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Bodied Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 15:44
They already are with some referees!
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 16:09
This will hugely increase the number of jackle opportunities, a scenario that produces a lot of injuries. Surely they will have to look at the breakdown too
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 16:29
Absolutely ridiculous directive by people who don’t know anything about the game. Might as well go to tag rugby now. Ruining the game.
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 16:50
Playing a different version of the game at level 1 & 2 is barmy.  I think rugby is in massive trouble, and this has confirmed my fears
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 17:38
Especially as academy players swap on an almost weekly basis between Nat 1 the Championship and the Prem Cup.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 17:55
Total joke !!!
This will in effect wipe out the participation of 2/3 of a clubs squad namely the forwards. The game will turn into 7’s or tag rugby with a bunch of fast runners only. 
Totally agree with the high tackle as it stands and protecting the head from stupid high tackles and no arm shoulder charges but this takes things too far and destroys the game. 
Pace Power Perfection
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 21:09
Madness. 

What happens when a player whose been in National 1 for several years & gets promoted to Championship? All of a sudden he’s getting tackled & having to tackle in a completely different way. 

In two years time we’ll be watching 5’5” players running directly at second & back rows knowing they won’t be tackled correctly & winning a penalty. 

Anything above shoulder height is a yellow & with force a straight red. Surely that can work if enforced? 
One Club
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 22:45
Insane, what happens next year if a champ or Orem player gets a serious head injury? Surely a massive legal claim as RFU have stated a lower tackle height is safer???!!

Already schools have indicated to RFU they will boycott it and play by IRB rules!!!

RFU total shambles
Run with it
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 07:32
Complete load of rubbish most ill conceived law change I have ever seen
So many Christians not enough Lions
Mountain Man View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 07:50
Crazy -so why are we surprised.

Is there another sport in which senior teams below level 2 play to different rules?

No doubt, as with the re-organisation of the leagues, the RFU will have consulted their members and then ignored them. Or a back door to ring-fencing? 
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 08:33
My concern would be how this law fits in with 'tacklers rolling away'. I've seen it so often recently where tacklers make a perfect low tackle but because of the physics of this they will often end up 'on the wrong side' and then penalised when the rest of tackled players team run in and block them in there.

Also how on earth do you stop the pick and go close to the line? Most of the time the attacking time are driving in basically on their knees already

The part I do think is sensible and should actually already be applied to the current laws:

Ball carriers will also be encouraged to follow the principle of evasion, which is a mainstay of the game, to avoid late dipping and thereby avoid creating a situation where a bent tackler may be put at increased risk of head-on-head contact with the ball carrier through a late or sudden change in body height of the ball carrier.   

Edited by Count Ford - 20 Jan 2023 at 08:44
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 12:30
I have never before heard such rubbish and that is saying a lot when taking about the RFU.
The RFU are pandering to the H&S lobby because the media are getting on the side of a few players who have issues that are effecting thier health. Whilst I have every sympathy for those players who are struggling (for reasons yet to be conclusively proven to be due to playing rugby), as a percentage of those who play our game, the numbers are minor.
Again, we have a situation where the majority are being disadvantaged becuse of issues with a few. I doubt that any of those players with issues were forced to pull on a shirt and play the game so, whilst they deserve all of the support that is possible, they should not be held up as a reason for ruining our game.
Our governing body is currently complicit in destroying the game it is supposed to support and defend. They should be ashamed.
All Knwoing All Seeing
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 12:46
I think it’s the pick and go near the try line that will cause most head injuries 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 13:12
Owen Slot in today’s Times forecast that these measures would be introduced globally by World Rugby (IRB as was) - probably before the end of this year. And that the pro game would follow ‘soon enough’…
PropDad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PropDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 14:22
Not sure if it will make any difference but a petition has been set up to oppose this:

French Connection View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 14:48
It was a certainty that this would be introduced at some stage. After being a DOR at National 2 club for a long time, I became Head Coach of a Federale 3 club here in France in 2017 and this law has been 'trialed' at all Federale leagues and below since 2018.  However at the same time they introduced a law banning the pick and go as well - which actually makes sense. We just have a pod of fowards standing 3 metres away instead. The double tackle is also outlawed here as well. There was a predictable uproar in France when they did this - just as in the comments above, and at first the referees panicked completely and we were getting 40 or 50 penalties a game. However after a short while it settled down and now to be honest if you watched a Federale League game from here you wouldn't really notice the difference, other than occasionally a referee will award a penalty and we'll all shake our heads and wonder why. But that's no different to rugby anywhere. One positive difference is the availabilty of the ball for an offload after the tackle. I like the law change and I predict that everyone here will as well after a while. It makes perfect sense and it's been a real thing with me for 20 years or so. Those very many of you on here who were playing before the mid 90s and the influence of Rugby League will remember that back in the day EVERYONE tackled low. In all my career at various levels I have never, ever coached or advocated anything other than the low tackle. It's just safer and actually more effective - putting the ball carrier on the ground as quickly as possible is the most effective defence. 
The only thing that I totally disagree with both in France and England is having 2 different sets of laws for different levels of the game.  I'd apply that change to all rugby, everywhere, It's really nothing to be worried about
GreenThrough&Through View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenThrough&Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 16:35
In effect, they are lowering the high tackle line from the shoulder to around the navel. Bend your knees and bend at the hips and you naturally lower yourself to about navel height.

If you as a defender are expecting to make a tackle, either the ball carrier being in your channel or as you drift across the field you reckon can get across to the ball carrier, there is no reason why you can't lower your body, and therefore tackle, height.

Up until around 2000, the low body tackle was the pre-dominant form of tackling. It's still the way coaches are supposed to coach children how to tackle.

Simple solution at senior level - go back to coaching lower body tackling. Players and coaches who don't adapt will soon get found out.

As for how it's reffed, i hope referees will apply some leniency for those scenarios where a defender is caught 'off guard' e.g. drifting across the field, not expecting to make the tackle, ball carrier steps back in side at speed straight into the defender - likely outcome is both are upright at the point of contact.
 How can you tell if the player wasn't expecting to make the tackle? More often that not they'll lose the collision and will go backwards, even a little bit, absorbing the contact and making a passive tackle.

It is a farce though that it's been rolled out across the community game first. An environment in which training time is low and therefore less time to change behaviours and technique through coaching. You'd have thought it would make more sense for it to impact professional rugby first where the players would have significantly more time to prepare - though to do that it would need to be rolled out by the IRB to all nations, not just the RFU and England.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 16:49
Originally posted by PropDad PropDad wrote:

Not sure if it will make any difference but a petition has been set up to oppose this:

I don't know if this will have any effect but we should all sign it.

How long will it be before they introduce 'catch & kiss'?
All Knwoing All Seeing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic