National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedRound 5 Fixtures, News, Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 15:49
Coventry - HT. 
Cov 26 (BP) - 5 Bedford.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 15:52
Donny 40(tbp) LS 7 (1t) on 51 mins
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 15:55
Donny 40(tbp) LS 12 (1t) on 54 mins
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 15:59
Donny 45 (tbp) LS 7 (1t) on 58 mins
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:06
Donny 52 (tbp) LS 12 (2t) on 64 mins
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:07
Ealing 59 (BP) - Notts 7 (1T) - 45' - Kyle Whyte powers across the line from short range after a few phases
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:10
This ref needs to change his name to Cyclops he’s that one eyed. I take that back- it’s only took 52 minutes and the loss of our fly half with a nasty facial injury but we’ve finally got a decision our way!!!! 

Edited by maire23 - 11 Feb 2023 at 16:15
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:13
Full Time In Penzance
Pirates 52 Caldy 5
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:15
Donny 59 (tbp) LS 12 (2t) on 72 mins
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:17
Donny 66 (tbp) LS 12 (2t) on 76 mins
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:21
Donny 66 (tbp) LS 12 (2t) ft
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:34
Ealing 66 (BP) - Notts 7 (1T) - 66' Bodilly chips from 30meters and dives on the ball to score. 
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:37
Ealing 66 (BP) - Notts 14 (2T)  - Nottingham scores after a long break frkm a quick tap, again.

Edited by gerg_861 - 11 Feb 2023 at 16:43
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 16:44
Ealing 71  (BP) - Notts 14 (2T) FT - Uzokwe gets another. Editing post as final score was shown wrong on scoreboard.

Edited by gerg_861 - 11 Feb 2023 at 21:12
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 22:09
Wow! Not a day to be on the road in the Championship Cup today with the home teams winning by an aggregated 222 - 55 …. Ouch!
Tackle Low!!!!!
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 09:55
The results certainly highlight how pointless the Cup is. We can say that there are only 5/6 teams that can ever win the cup, Ealing, Jersey Pirates, Doncaster, Coventry, Bedford. All the others are simply resting players for the remaining league season and becoming cannon fodder for the top teams. 

So why a cup competition in the first place. The logic seems to be a small league of 12 to have a bigger cut of RFU money which this year was £140k  less £40k insurance. If it had been a 14 team league then the share would have been £120k but two more home league games which would have brought in more that the £20k lost in the share out, and the games would have remained competitive. However those clubs, who rely on DR's from the Premiership would have been affected by The premiership cup and Internationals  when these players are called back. 
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 10:06
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

The results certainly highlight how pointless the Cup is. We can say that there are only 5/6 teams that can ever win the cup, Ealing, Jersey Pirates, Doncaster, Coventry, Bedford. All the others are simply resting players for the remaining league season and becoming cannon fodder for the top teams. 

So why a cup competition in the first place. The logic seems to be a small league of 12 to have a bigger cut of RFU money which this year was £140k  less £40k insurance. If it had been a 14 team league then the share would have been £120k but two more home league games which would have brought in more that the £20k lost in the share out, and the games would have remained competitive. However those clubs, who rely on DR's from the Premiership would have been affected by The premiership cup and Internationals  when these players are called back. 

I take your point, but surely there are only a few teams who can win the league as well - does that make it a pointless competition? Pirates have a small (in numbers) squad and are struggling a bit in the league this season as we rebuild. Therefore the cup has become quite important for us. Yesterday a few players who don't get regular starts in the league games were able to show what they can do. Having said that this competition doesn't compare to the old B and I cup, which was great fun.
*Stalwart
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 12:14
That is true also but perhaps the new proposed format of 2 x 10 Premiership sides will resolve that , with the second league having entry criteria and both leagues getting good funding from the RFU. I would think the Prem 2 league would include Ealing, Doncaster, Coventry, Pirates, Jersey, Bedford, Wasps, plus one from the premiership. All clubs fully professional with no relegation unless the winner of Nat 1 (Championship) can satisfy Prem 2 criteria. 
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 13:17
At risk of hijacking this thread, I’m struggling to see why Wasps and Wuss (or whatever they will be called) would be a threat in the Championship. Unless I am mistaken, at the moment neither side has any players at all. So where will they get them from and what with? If the debt has disappeared, then the other Championship sides should call foul and they should be made to start from the bottom of the pyramid. If the debt has been cleared, then how will they be able to afford to muster squads good enough to compete at the top of the Championship?
As much as I find some Championship clubs relying on PL loan/DR players to compete annoying, I understand why they have done it and I think that this is the most competitive the division has been in years.
Tackle Low!!!!!
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 15:53
Sixways Rugby intend to take Stourbridge’s place in National 2. They don’t intend to play in the Championship. 
As for Wasps (who I believe will still be called Wasps) that’s a good point. No idea. That said, who knows what’s going on behind the scenes? Granted they won’t have their biggest players but if they can field a couple of teams at Champ standard they should be okay. 

With regards to the Cup- there’s been some interesting results. For instance- Ealing were absolutely shocking when they came to Lady Bay. We were extremely unlucky not to get anything they were that bad. They just looked disinterested and we ran rings around them. I spoke to some of our players after the game and some seemed buoyant as we had ran them that close. If Ealing had played as badly as they did in that one game they would have got precisely nowhere. 

I went down to Vallis Way yesterday knowing we would get destroyed and we duly did. The second half was much better than the first Nottingham wise though- if only because we actually got a decision our way! Easy to win when you’ve got 16 men playing for you! Sounds bitter- I’m in no way bitter, it was absolutely expected, we tried our hardest but Ealing are just superior in every way- but that ref was shocking. Even when our fly half went down first with what looked like his knee and then went off with a nasty facial injury (which I’m sure he didn’t inflict on himself) Ealing were given the advantage! 

I have to agree with Stalwart though. Bring back the B&I! Have some great memories of B&I trips. 

Edited by maire23 - 12 Feb 2023 at 15:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic