National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Stourbridge/Worcester Warriors Merger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 20:40
Originally posted by Senile Said Rick Senile Said Rick wrote:

That Bloke !
Interesting that a chap from Newport shows so much interest in Stour 😉
Shrawley he must be closer to Old King Edsbridge with the ‘we hate Shatlas let’s go back to the old days at level 15 bants’ 

Your not so esoteric puns made me smile Smile
yorkshirestour View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshirestour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 20:50
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Apologies in advance here for a Touch of sarcasm but I can't resist - nothing to do with the current management/coaching/administrative staff, it's all Worcester, Wasps and Moseleys fault because they've no players to loan to Stour
All clubs at this level utilise support from the teams in the leagues directly above. 
Don’t apologise that bloke, I am sure you will get a vote. 

Senile Said Rick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senile Said Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 09:50
Wink
ego have a ingens perturbo snake in meus pardus
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 11:59
All clubs at this level utilise support from the teams in the leagues directly above.
[/QUOTE]
Do they indeed? Some do, some don't! But if that is the mindset of the Stour hierarchy (and I'm sure it most definitely is) and they've been following that route for 20odd years, basically without building any playing foundations of their own then it was only a matter of time before they found themselves in this mess. Other teams that may/or may not loan players in most often have 2nd XV's (and very strong ones at that!) together with good feed through from "growing their own" and recruiting contracted players from around the area. Add in to that the current squad have been told that "none of them will be there next season" you really do wonder what the future holds.
That isn't me speculating by the way it came out of the players mouths when they came to us a few weeks back. 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 14:39
Telling the players they are out before the deal is done seems to be a tad presumptuous, sounds like some shocking player management, who'd join a club run like that?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshirestour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 15:10

Do they indeed? Some do, some don't! But if that is the mindset of the Stour hierarchy (and I'm sure it most definitely is) and they've been following that route for 20odd years, basically without building any playing foundations of their own then it was only a matter of time before they found themselves in this mess. Other teams that may/or may not loan players in most often have 2nd XV's (and very strong ones at that!) together with good feed through from "growing their own" and recruiting contracted players from around the area. Add in to that the current squad have been told that "none of them will be there next season" you really do wonder what the future holds.
That isn't me speculating by the way it came out of the players mouths when they came to us a few weeks back. 
[/QUOTE]
I can’t get over just exactly how much you know - in fact it very nearly gives you away Mr Bloke 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshirestour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 15:13
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Telling the players they are out before the deal is done seems to be a tad presumptuous, sounds like some shocking player management, who'd join a club run like that?

I’m not clever enough to work out which of you is winding which up tiger but if you really think that is the case then you need to stop reading rubbish. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshirestour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 15:16

[/QUOTE]

I can’t get over just exactly how much you know - in fact it very nearly gives you away Mr Bloke 
Iamok123 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamok123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 00:08
Originally posted by yorkshirestour yorkshirestour wrote:

That's fair enough Yorkshire Stour but I suspect from your title that you are no longer local but can I ask if you were would you travel 27 miles to watch Stourbridge (or as I suspect a team called Worcester Warriors as the owners have done a u-turn on this) in an empty stadium or stay local and watch Stourbridge Lions at Level 8 - no disrespect but have you seen any Level 8 rugby lately? When you've been used to National League rugby ever since leagues were introduced way back you'll soon see that level 8 is pretty dire by comparison and I doubt that any players at that level would be fed into the Worcester/Stourbridge set up at Sixways
Stourbridge is my team not Worcester so that should answer your first question, I would go on that level 8 journey if it would support all other areas of the club. 

Well don't be surprised if many others don't. With Dudley Kingswinford just a few miles away, I know where I'll be going. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshirestour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 17:30
Originally posted by Iamok123 Iamok123 wrote:

Originally posted by yorkshirestour yorkshirestour wrote:

That's fair enough Yorkshire Stour but I suspect from your title that you are no longer local but can I ask if you were would you travel 27 miles to watch Stourbridge (or as I suspect a team called Worcester Warriors as the owners have done a u-turn on this) in an empty stadium or stay local and watch Stourbridge Lions at Level 8 - no disrespect but have you seen any Level 8 rugby lately? When you've been used to National League rugby ever since leagues were introduced way back you'll soon see that level 8 is pretty dire by comparison and I doubt that any players at that level would be fed into the Worcester/Stourbridge set up at Sixways
Stourbridge is my team not Worcester so that should answer your first question, I would go on that level 8 journey if it would support all other areas of the club. 

Well don't be surprised if many others don't. With Dudley Kingswinford just a few miles away, I know where I'll be going. 

Lots to understand yet 
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 20:33
So what happened when Sweeney turned up ???
Did he duck out when he realised both parties are skint and no prawn sarnies and champers were laid on for lunch and that he had to pay for his taxi ???
Pace Power Perfection
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 20:36
Thatbloke 

Level 8 should be applauded not condemned. It is the best that many can achieve so does not merit your off hand dismissal of its ability level. 
Pace Power Perfection
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 22:31
Our 2nds have been admitted into the ECC at Level 8 this season and it is the best thing that has happened for them in the last 20 years. I never intended to belittle that level of rugby. I was trying to ask whether members who have been used to watching National League rugby since the leagues were introduced would be happy to watch rugby 4 or 5 levels further down the pyramid. Clearly it will be for the Stour membership to decide but please don't kid anyone that those players will have any involvement with what goes on at Sixways, probably at Level 5 if the takeover/merger goes a head 

Edited by Thatbloke - 09 Mar 2023 at 22:32
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 00:16
It all depends on exactly what Worcester offer, and how bad the finances at Stourbridge are.

I do not believe the committee at Stourbridge are stupid or doing this willingly, I suspect it is a case of needing to selling the cow and hoping beyond hope for magic beans.

If the only other option is winding up completely - then this deal looks like salvation.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 10:00
The initial postings from Stour state that "finances are strong" and that it is the decline in playing numbers that is driving this
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 12:33

The initial postings from Stour state that "finances are strong" and that it is the decline in playing numbers that is driving this

I believe Wasps were saying their finances were strong right up to the end too. 
Lucky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 15:56
Stourbridge Lions failing to put a side out this weekend so forfeiting games to Luctonians 2nds, which leaves Lucs top of League with maximum points. Like Newport, we benefit hugely from being able to put out multiple, in Lucs case 3 competitive league sides, and a 4th 15 most weekends. It helps avoiding reliance on “bigger clubs” which can come back to bite you.
Patience and long term investment in local players is the way to survive. It is less than a decade that Lucs have been at the dizzy league heights that they a are now, but they have made the right investments to stay there and have a base of local players, not imported mercenaries.
Farming Fit
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 17:03
In 2021, they had assets of 720k (Stourton Park and cash) and debts of £420k. They had cash on hand to cover the trade debtors, but then there is £180k outstanding on the loan for the 3g pitch.

They had a sponsor covering first team wages - and looked to have been more or less breaking even for a while.

COVID came at a bad time for them, without it, they might be in a better place to pay off the loan.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 17:35
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

..... loan for the 3g pitch.

Can a 3g pitch be taken up and relaid so that houses can be built Shocked

Edited by FHLH - 10 Mar 2023 at 17:35
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 19:49
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

..... loan for the 3g pitch.

Can a 3g pitch be taken up and relaid so that houses can be built Shocked

I am sure it can - however might be better to cut road and house shapes out of it leaving lawns in place for the houses.

Seriously, the answer would be yes (happened at tye old Crawley leisure centre) but it won't generate much income on a resale
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic