National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

No promotion Again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No promotion Again
    Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 15:49
Only Doncaster have passed the Minimum standards review. Ealing failed again.

castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 15:56
Writing us off a bit early aren’t you 😉
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 16:21
Did not expect that...... although I'm sure there will be a long protracted appeal, counter appeal, legal review etc etc.  Will keep us busy for the long Summer months.  Unless they know something the rest of us do not

Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 16:31
I am staggered, if Ealing really wanted promotion surely they would have had all their ducks in a row!!! What a shame !
Run with it
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 17:51
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

I am staggered, if Ealing really wanted promotion surely they would have had all their ducks in a row!!! What a shame !

As an Ealing fan (but without any official club connection), I and the other folks who I have spoken to are baffled. Surely, the criteria were known well ahead of time. The ground as-is should be at 5000 capacity, and getting planning permission is not an impossibility. If they didn't want to start the digging next year, then they could have had one season in the prem, then dared the RFU to kick them out. Much harder to chuck someone out than to keep the door shut in the first place. Really disappointed by this, and I can't see it helping to improve morale at all ahead of a tough block of games.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 18:01
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Writing us off a bit early aren’t you 😉

Only 29 points to catch up then…. Come on Donny!!!!!!
Tackle Low!!!!!
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 18:01
Baffled and confused. I’ll reserve judgement until Ealing release their statement. 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 18:02
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

As an Ealing fan (but without any official club connection), I and the other folks who I have spoken to are baffled. Surely, the criteria were known well ahead of time. The ground as-is should be at 5000 capacity, and getting planning permission is not an impossibility. If they didn't want to start the digging next year, then they could have had one season in the prem, then dared the RFU to kick them out. Much harder to chuck someone out than to keep the door shut in the first place. Really disappointed by this, and I can't see it helping to improve morale at all ahead of a tough block of games.
It must be a hard pill to swallow Gerg. TBH we knew that the ground (although it can hold 5k plus) wasn’t ‘licensed’ as such. Inquisitive surrounding how the safety checks etc panned out and planning for 10k+1 (which was likely the big sticking point)

I am in agreement the capacity regulation is ridiculous but is this the only blocker for Ealing? Hope you get the answers bud
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 18:10
So Ealing have just spent millions more for nothing! I think we are all confused.

Do Knights have the finances as well to build, or is it just the planning permission required, without proving source of finance?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 18:23
We have the planning permission, safety protocols approved, and I believe funding is available if ever it is required to be built. It would have happened the year we lost to Bristol in the playoff final….but ifs and buts and all that. There is a bit of me that would love to see the Knights up there, but the pragmatic side says the Prem has to be a more even playing field (meaning the promoted side should receive equal funding from day 1)
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 18:45
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

We have the planning permission, safety protocols approved, and I believe funding is available if ever it is required to be built. It would have happened the year we lost to Bristol in the playoff final….but ifs and buts and all that. There is a bit of me that would love to see the Knights up there, but the pragmatic side says the Prem has to be a more even playing field (meaning the promoted side should receive equal funding from day 1)

I see what you mean. Obviously promotion would be an exciting achievement, but looking at the Prem at the moment it might be a poisoned chalice. As you say, things are very much stacked against any club breaking the cartel, and getting to the Premiership, as financially they are at a massive disadvantage.
*Stalwart
GTB View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 19:00
Does no promotion mean that one team will be relegated from the Championship?
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 19:56
Yes one team relegated now, Richmond sweating and expect LS to field Quins 2nd XV!!!
Run with it
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 20:20
Surely Richmond & McQuins could amalgamate to one club ??

2 Clubs, one home ground ??
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 20:49
Are you sure, I thought we were having an ever expanding Championship.
A cynic would say, no relegation is to stop LS from threatening to head North.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 21:18
So after being turned down last season I would have expected ET to ask exactly what they needed to do to meet the criteria and I would have expected them to make sure that they met the requirements. What went wrong? I am very confused. Or is it the case that the RFU just don’t want ET in the PL and they will do anything to make sure that they don’t get there?

Edited by Brizzer - 13 Feb 2023 at 21:19
Tackle Low!!!!!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 21:45
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

So after being turned down last season I would have expected ET to ask exactly what they needed to do to meet the criteria and I would have expected them to make sure that they met the requirements. What went wrong? I am very confused. Or is it the case that the RFU just don’t want ET in the PL and they will do anything to make sure that they don’t get there?

Digging around tonight, I have heard a rumour that Ealing council was very late delivering a safety certificate.
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 02:12
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

You’re not the only person to have said this and I myself suspect this is the case. 
Saturated area and all that. 
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 10:29
As far as I am concerned Rugby Union at club level is all about levels 9 to 2 and what goes on in the Premiership is nothing to do with Rugby Union as I recognise it.

Ealing have dodged a bullet. The Premiership is a disaster financially and I suspect that probably most owners of Premiership clubs wish they could somehow get out with honour intact. However, that isn't easy to do.......pull the plug and opprobrium awaits........as countless fans rage against the demise of their club.......largely unaware of the financial sacrifice being made by the owners year on year. 

It must be one of the most corrosive, stomach wrenching of experiences knowing that you are involved in a failing enterprise with very little prospect of self sufficiency ...........

''The future isn't what it used to be''
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 10:46
So Ealing cannot go up and unless Doncaster win the league then next season the possible shape of the championship will include Wasps, so long as they pass the RFU requirements and get ground share with Worcester (Sorry Sixways RFC) signed off (RFU have not yet said if they will approve this) then the league would be 13. So it would be 2 relegated and 1 from Nat 1 to go back to 12 or No relegation and expanded league to 14 which is what the RFU said they would do to get both Worcester and Wasps into the championship.  
The RFU must now be running round in ever decreasing circles trying to resolve the following problems.
  • What size the Championship will be for 23/24?
  • Will the approve Wasps moving into Sixways?
  • Will they approve Atlas purchasing the assets at Sixways but with no team
  • Will they approve the merger with Stourbridge and allow them to take over their position in the League (Level 4/5)
  • What will happen if the Stourbridge members reject the merger?
  • Will The RFU approve 2 Premier leagues of 10 for the 24/25 season and all the consequences that will have on lower leagues?
What ever happens there will be one less club in the national Leagues 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic