National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedSemi-final pairings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi-final pairings
    Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 13:27
Just out from 'HQ':

Championship Cup Semi-Final Matches Confirmed 

Following completion of the home and away legs in the initial pool matches of the Championship Cup, the semi-final games have been confirmed.  

The two highest point scoring clubs play their semi-final at home, with the top points scorer playing the 4th, and the 2nd and 3rd ranked clubs playing one another. 

Semi-finals

·       Cornish Pirates v Jersey Reds (1st v 4th place)

·       Ealing Trailfinders v Doncaster Knights (2nd v 3rd place)

The semi-finals will take place over the weekend of 5-7 May.  Precise fixture dates and timings for the games will be available shortly. 

If there is a draw after 80 minutes, extra time will take place consisting of 10 minutes each way with a minute interval.  If the scores remain equal after extra time, the winner will be the team which has scored the most tries in the game (including extra time). If the scores are level and the number of tries scored is equal, then there shall be a place kick competition to determine the winner.

The Final of the Championship Cup takes place the weekend after the semi-finals, 12-14 May, and will be played at the home ground of the club with the best playing record in the semi-finals. 

workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 15:41
Great time to be playing "Coronation Weekend"
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 15:46
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Great time to be playing "Coronation Weekend"
The current & former Duke of Cornwall will be otherwise engaged then.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 21 Feb 2023 at 15:46
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 18:51
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Advantage Cornwall Then   
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 19:33
Any idea what this means "The Final of the Championship Cup takes place the weekend after the semi-finals, 12-14 May, and will be played at the home ground of the club with the best playing record in the semi-finals."? Does that mean the higher seeded team coming out of the Semi? Or does it mean the team with the best outcome e.g. 5-0 vs. 4-1 in points?
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 19:45
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Any idea what this means "The Final of the Championship Cup takes place the weekend after the semi-finals, 12-14 May, and will be played at the home ground of the club with the best playing record in the semi-finals."? Does that mean the higher seeded team coming out of the Semi? Or does it mean the team with the best outcome e.g. 5-0 vs. 4-1 in points?

The indication from 'HQ' is that it's the winning team with the best points difference/ winning margin from their SF tie - no bonus points for 4 tries or being within 7pts. There's a sequence of potential tie-breakers after that: highest pts total, try-count, fewest reds then yellows &, in the astonishing scenario of there still being a tie after all that jazz, a coin being tossed.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 20:53
Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

Advantage Cornwall Then   
In Jersey the former Duke of Cornwall became "Notre Duc" following the late Queen's death. Should be a cracking close contest between Pirates & Jersey and both sides will want to win it.
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 21:02
Yes should be a cracker Carrott.
I imagine the RFU are hoping either of us do enough to get a Home final or failing that Donny Beer
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 21:10
If the final is at The Mennaye or Castle Park there would be a big crowd. Jersey would have a good turnout I'm sure, at Ealing probably not.

*Stalwart
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 21:47
Do either of the Ealing supporters go to away games ??
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 07:27

I imagine the RFU are hoping either of us do enough to get a Home final or failing that Donny Beer
You can be pretty sure that even if Jersey beat Pirates they would have no chance of getting the final at St Peter. I think its a pity they haven't arranged for the final to be at a neutral ground like the Stoop, RAG or even ODP which would be easy to get to for all supporters. I would go even if Jersey weren't involved unless it was a sell out and it meant a proper supporter of one of the clubs involved was being denied a chance of a ticket. 
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 09:42

You can be pretty sure that even if Jersey beat Pirates they would have no chance of getting the final at St Peter. I think its a pity they haven't arranged for the final to be at a neutral ground like the Stoop, RAG or even ODP which would be easy to get to for all supporters. I would go even if Jersey weren't involved unless it was a sell out and it meant a proper supporter of one of the clubs involved was being denied a chance of a ticket. 

350 miles and a six hour journey each way from Penzance to the RAG or Stoop on a good day. Hardly easy.
*Stalwart
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:43
Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

350 miles and a six hour journey each way from Penzance to the RAG or Stoop on a good day. Hardly easy.

Even more so seeing as Pirates won’t be playing Stalwart
Tackle Low!!!!!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 11:50
Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

Probably easier and nearer than Castle Park particularly if you have a week or less to organize it. The odds are heavily stacked in favour of the final being at Vallis Way or Castle Park. The RFU will probably prefer Vallis Way in case they need to send somebody to give the trophy out.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 13:38
Credit where credit is due. It is a fantastic incentive for the teams to keep going until the final whistle.
Tackle Low!!!!!
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 17:54

I do .......well as many as I can. I have signed up for the Jersey away game . Not sure about the other supporter. I have been to the away game at Jersey many times.

What about you Geoff ? do you commit to many away games ?
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 18:54
Lost count of how many N0.7
I've even been to Ealing, with a pint in the Duke of Kent on the way.
I must have seen you, as I swear I saw at least one Trailfinders supporter there
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 20:34
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

I do .......well as many as I can. I have signed up for the Jersey away game . Not sure about the other supporter. I have been to the away game at Jersey many times.

What about you Geoff ? do you commit to many away games ?

So looking forward to that game No. 7. It is easy to forget that there is a huge amount of rugby to play before we get to it. I do think that it will be an occasion though and I’m looking forward to catching up with you.
Tackle Low!!!!!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 21:08
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I read it as if Pirates win they are at home and if Jersey win they are away to whoever wins the other match.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 22:38
It says ‘in the semi-finals’ so surely it means the best performing team in the semi’s. I.e. bonus point win, then biggest points difference or tries scored etc. That way every team has the opportunity of hosting the final.
Tackle Low!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic