National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Papa John's Trophy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 17:42
Another one

Keighley HWO v Liverpool St Helens
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
DICKON View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DICKON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 17:43
I disagree with those that slate the naysayers. The RFU based their introducing of a cup competition on basis of feedback they say they had from players. On this very site a few seasons back I highlighted how what players say about cups and what they actually do are disconnected. I made the point in person to Bill Sweeney last season too suggesting that the investment would have been better directed to the leagues and extending the season so that we had more break weeks. Instead, we have had some Level 6 clubs playing 9 straight games and players are knackered - it is no surprise some clubs have withdrawn and the RFU were warned this would happen. For our part, we entered but could not be sure that players would make themselves available as they only really look a week or two ahead at the amateur level (L6 in our case). We are fronting up but I have every sympathy with those that don't as they could not possibly predict how their player base would behave when they entered. Now at least we know and it will be interesting to see how long this experiment lasts as the evidence from the previous national Cup competitions at all levels was not compelling....

Edited by DICKON - 27 Mar 2023 at 17:44
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 08:01
Hartlepool Rovers have conceeded to Leodiensians.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 08:59
I can't find anything about prize money on RFU site, apart from contribution to travelling and accommodation. 
Cauliflower ear.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 09:45
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

I can't find anything about prize money on RFU site, apart from contribution to travelling and accommodation. 
Don’t think there has ever been a mention of prize money - don’t think anybody expects any.
No doubt Papa Johns will have provided a sum of money for community sponsorship and well done to them for doing so. 
The RFU will have estimated how much got travel etc would cost but presumably the reduction in entries, and the number of walkovers growing this week,  they may end up “quids in.” At least for this season
I’d like to be a fly in the wall when they meet in the summer to discuss the Community Cup.

PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 09:55
I understand Blackburn have pulled of the Regional 1 Comp
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 12:32
Originally posted by DICKON DICKON wrote:

I disagree with those that slate the naysayers. The RFU based their introducing of a cup competition on basis of feedback they say they had from players. On this very site a few seasons back I highlighted how what players say about cups and what they actually do are disconnected. I made the point in person to Bill Sweeney last season too suggesting that the investment would have been better directed to the leagues and extending the season so that we had more break weeks. Instead, we have had some Level 6 clubs playing 9 straight games and players are knackered - it is no surprise some clubs have withdrawn and the RFU were warned this would happen. For our part, we entered but could not be sure that players would make themselves available as they only really look a week or two ahead at the amateur level (L6 in our case). We are fronting up but I have every sympathy with those that don't as they could not possibly predict how their player base would behave when they entered. Now at least we know and it will be interesting to see how long this experiment lasts as the evidence from the previous national Cup competitions at all levels was not compelling....

But the club's didn't have to enter. They should have discussed player availability but Once they decided they should participate to the end. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
DICKON View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICKON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 12:44
The challenge is that players don't look that far ahead Richard - I truly wish they did but most of our lads only commit 1 week ahead so that would have been hopeless for the Cup entry. We finished the league season well and felt that we might get additional availability as a result so we entered - this has proved to be a good decision for the 1st Round but if we win it the 2nd Round is on the 15th when we also have a 2s Cup Final, which adds extra pressure to the availability conundrum. 
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 14:10
With the county championship rounds in May, will this have an impact on player availabity for later rounds of trophy. 
Cauliflower ear.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 14:51
So far 33 Walkovers - so either the players who were surveyed lied or clubs just don't think it was worth the hassle.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
DICKON View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICKON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 15:08
I don't think players lied PiffPaff, I think some didn't realise how the structured season would impact their bodies by the seasons end and others have ended up with 1st Round draws that mean they will be away most of the day. Imho clubs will have entered with the best intentions to compete but when they have chased up players for their availability this week, it simply hasn't been there.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 15:27
D, maybe "lied" was the wrong wording, naive?. Not many Clubs thought the "Cup Window" was a good idea yet the RFU still went ahead full-steam. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of games cried off tops 100 by the time the 15th April comes round. A return to cup dates in the season would be a much better spread with say the Semis and Final at the end of April. Clubs who cry-off in the early rounds at least still have league rugby to contend with, basically a lot of clubs at Level 5 down effectively ended their rugby season in March. Some clubs still the PJ Cup will have not played for 3 or 4 weeks by the time the 2nd Round comes around that can't be good for players.

Edited by PiffPaff - 28 Mar 2023 at 15:28
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 17:29
I think the lack of interest started with the RFU -  the Cups were announced with too many questions not answered or announced.
Would the draws be seeded (I.e.top 2 in league get home draw), would the early rounds be regional, where would the finals be played, how much financial support would there be for travel (turns out a third of the cost of a coach from what I can see), why is level 7 and below knockout (one away game costing you hundreds for a coach and you lose and that’s it - or worse still two away draws and you lose the second one)??
To be fair the weather hasn’t helped, so clubs drawn away at lower levels had only ten days to organise travel and alert players plus the finals are now on Coronation weekend - nightmare awaits for finalists trying to arrange travel etc.
Finally, it’s not players who decide these things it’s coaches and committees and I agree that if you entered the competition you should get on with it then shout loudly about how it should be organised next season -if held. 

Edited by Neasham - 28 Mar 2023 at 17:32
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 18:21
Neasham, the RFU FCS specified it was players who wanted an end of season cup comp.

BTW walkovers are now at 41 including Dudley Kingswinford who won Midlands 1  
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
DICKON View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICKON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 18:47
Agreed Piffpaff on both your last 2 posts.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 18:52
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Neasham, the RFU FCS specified it was players who wanted an end of season cup comp.

BTW walkovers are now at 41 including Dudley Kingswinford who won Midlands 1  
Really? How do we know? Any players out there able to confirm they advocated this?
RFU determined to cut size of leagues simple as that. Fait accompli. 
BTW where can I find where these cry-offs are listed. Is it on the England rugby website ? 

Edited by Neasham - 28 Mar 2023 at 18:55
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 19:39

The RFU used player quotes to justify reorganising the league.

The aim was to reduce travel, but a third of clubs ended up being promoted to fill spaces, so probably ended up with longer travel.

There were quotes supporting a cup, but not a cup held at the end of the season - including over Easter.

Fitting the shorter league season into fewer weeks meant fewer weeks off during the season, not more. The weather has not helped - but there was always going to be bad weather in at least some seasons.

Had the cup been interleaved, the cup weeks could be used by teams who have been knocked out as catch up weeks, or rest weeks.

Having cups organised as they are, has meant long journeys at the end of a season. Support was promised, but was never going to pay the full amount. And the extra matches and travel outweigh the reduction in leagues.

And I wrote to the RFU making those points at the time, and did not even get an acknowledgement.

Poor communication, both by the RFU, and possibly by clubs, has led to many players assuming the season ended at the end of the league.

So all in all a Right Foul Up.

Edited by Camquin - 28 Mar 2023 at 19:50
Sweeney Delenda Est
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 20:50
Thanks for the link. Sad state of affairs.
Karlos F View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlos F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 20:54
CS Stags vs. Brighton on 22 April, now shows it as a home game for Brighton as W-S-M have dropped out of the pool

Edited by Karlos F - 03 Apr 2023 at 18:40
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 21:35
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

Don’t think there has ever been a mention of prize money - don’t think anybody expects any.
No doubt Papa Johns will have provided a sum of money for community sponsorship and well done to them for doing so. 
The RFU will have estimated how much got travel etc would cost but presumably the reduction in entries, and the number of walkovers growing this week,  they may end up “quids in.” At least for this season
I’d like to be a fly in the wall when they meet in the summer to discuss the Community Cup.

There was none for the Intermediate Cup back in the day. But I do have to concur that communication was a big failure here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
  Share Topic