National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Papa John's Trophy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Papa John's Trophy
    Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 18:57
Just thought i'd start a thread in anticipation of the Pizza Trophy. Draw after the 11th of March fixtures and only the Cup competition ends at Twickenham (at least according to what's released). But looking forward to seeing how this works out (also will the club specific codes for cheap pizza be valid everywhere?).

Edited by Robb - 28 Feb 2023 at 18:57
Lord_Kitchener View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord_Kitchener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 11:27
Robb just wants his discounted Pizza Handshake
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 11:48
Originally posted by Lord_Kitchener Lord_Kitchener wrote:

Robb just wants his discounted Pizza Handshake

No, I want to see this be a good competition and not another farce from the RFU.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 11:58
I find it interesting that they found a sponsor for this, but not for the Championship, Championship Cup or the National Leagues.

I know there is a glamour to a cup final.

However, there are weasel words in the announcement that it will be held at Twickenham or other prestigious stadium. So prepare for a trip to Darlington. :-)

I will also await with bated breath the scope of the travel bursary.

Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:08
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I find it interesting that they found a sponsor for this, but not for the Championship, Championship Cup or the National Leagues.

However, there are weasel words in the announcement that it will be held at Twickenham or other prestigious stadium. So prepare for a trip to Darlington. :-)

Twickenham is a prestigious stadium?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:12
I know several players who enjoy playing thee, though as it was the Army v navy game they were talking about, perhaps it was the after game celebrations.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Lord_Kitchener View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord_Kitchener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:15

Regional 1 scheduled for 29th/30th April. Aren't England Women playing then against France? Curtain Raiser?
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:31
That would make sense. Does anyone know which clubs that have declared their intentions to enter ?
The older I get, the better I was.
@boatyjames View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 15:00
Most will won't they?
What else are we going to do in April - having the last league game of the season on 11 March is just barnmy - all our biggest bar takes are for league games in September/October and March/April as most spectators don't want to freeze there butt's off in the winter!
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 15:17
Well for 50% of entrants from Level 7 down their season will end if they lose in Round 1 as its straight knockout. The Regional 1 & 2 Cups are pool based I think.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 15:23
I understand that 62% of clubs have entered, but no idea of splits by level or region/ county.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 16:07
Level 5 62 of 72 entered
Level 6  106 of 144 entered
Level 7  121 of 217 entered
Level 8 86 of 312 entered
Level 9 and below around 60% entry

need to point out that at Level 8 there a lot of Lower XVs who are not eligible to enter

Edited by PiffPaff - 01 Mar 2023 at 16:10
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 17:06
So presumably two level 6 sides go up to level 5 to make 64
So 24 level 7 sides fill in level 6 to make 128
leaving 97 + 86 = 183 = 128 + 57 or three groups of 64 with 7 byes in the first round.

Or am I being too sensible again.

What do 2nd Xvs do for the rest of the season?
Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 20:43

Or am I being too sensible again.
Yes, you are! The lowest level competition at Regional 1 (the Bowl) features 'remaining teams, 9th-12 place, max 24 teams'. Despite this, the first round is marked 'Last 32'.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 11:32
Given the draw is going to be next week, any ideas as to when?
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 13:18
Wednesday

Regional Cups - starting 25th March

Counties Cups - starting 1st April (no joke)
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 08:46
I assume until the leagues conclude we won’t know the fixtures?

Looking forward to new beginnings.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:28
Nope as above, draw on Wednesday, fixtures out then I would think especially if you need to book a Bus or organise a sponsor which clearly RFU Competitions think you can do in five minutes.

I'm told there is some "Travel Funding" available for long distance trips, not sure what the criteria is and how much the magic RFU money tree will provide.

Think one or two in Regional South East maybe sweating or indeed looking forward to being drawn away at Camborne and vice versa. Likewise some clubs in South Cheshire might be less than please with a North East trip .....  and vice versa in the Counties draw. Wonder if they will "manage" the draw and try to keep distances short in the early rounds. 

Edited by PiffPaff - 09 Mar 2023 at 12:29
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 13:00
Is it right that the final day at twickers is on the Coronation weekend? That would a transport and accommodation nightmare 🤔
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 13:25
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Is it right that the final day at twickers is on the Coronation weekend? That would a transport and accommodation nightmare 🤔
The Regional 1 Championship (top tier) final is on 30th April, and all other finals will be on 7th May Ermm
The RFU never mentioned Twickenham - the original document only talks about the competitions "culminating in ‘Community Game Finals’ to celebrate community rugby at prestigious locations."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic