National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The venerable Peter Higgins is incredulous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The venerable Peter Higgins is incredulous
    Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 08:24
My brother in law ....the venerable Peter Higgins.....is an occasional rugby watcher but is primarliy a football chap. He supports his local team Tranmere Rovers through thick and thin and occasionally travels about 800 metres to watch his local rugby club Caldy.

Over a glass of wine I gave Peter a run down on Caldy's journey in the Championship. He was heartened to hear about how hospitable, welcoming and supportive all the other Championship clubs had been towards Caldy and their supporters in their first ever season at this level. 

Over a few more glasses of a most delightful Sancerre I recounted tales of Richmond's President Chris Mills taking on the prodigious Adam Aigbokhae in a pint race at Paton Field, Ampthill's Paul Turner giving Caldy some heartfelt and supportive advice, the dazzling back play by Bedford and of course the sheer joy (apart from the rugby) of our weekend in Jersey. There were lots of other subsidiary stories that often meandered in a relatively meaningless way, (especially those that involved Graham and his travel plans or were about the pre match lunch before the London Scottish game at the Paton Field Stadium) but soon we moved on to what all of this mean't in league terms for this season and next season.

Over a bottle of Malbec I tried my best to explain what was likely to happen next season running through a number of possible scenarios:

1. A team may be relegated from the Championship this season
2. No team may be relegated from the Championship this season
3. A team that doesn't actually exist any more may be parachuted into the Championship for next season
4. This mythical team may be playing anywhere in the country next season
5. The winner of this season's Championship will get ......nothing...and will stay in the Championship (unless they decide to become Welsh)
6. No one has any idea what is likely to happen next season

Peter was befuddled and couldn't grasp what I was saying. He asked me the question "Isn't the Championship mean't to be the second level of English Rugby? As I pressed on to try and explain the RFU's chicanery Pete just slowly shook his head and summed up his view on what he had heard.

"This would be unacceptable at any level in any other sport in any other civilised country but for it to subsist in England at the second tier of the rugby pyramid is scandalous. I am incredulous how rugby in England can ever prosper in this opaque and directionless environment. Who is at fault for this shambles"

Could someone provide Peter with an answer?

Edited by Big Eddie - 04 Apr 2023 at 12:14
''The future isn't what it used to be''
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 08:59
That's easy, the RFU is totally at fault.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 16:33
I can only be impressed at the eloquence of Mr Higgins after a bottle of Sancerre and a bottle of Malbec!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 16:43
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

I can only be impressed at the eloquence of Mr Higgins after a bottle of Sancerre and a bottle of Malbec!

Peter Higgins is a very eloquent man..........even when fortified by a bottle of fine wine.......although he may possibly have said "FFS you must be effing kidding me"

Edited by Big Eddie - 03 Apr 2023 at 16:44
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 19:36
Just to keep your alliteration going BE, Fifty Seven old farts.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 20:08
Would that they were still in charge.
Sweeney Delenda Est
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 20:48
I would point to the dazzling display of the English Rugby team playing Ireland to confirm the excellent mind set of the RFU. Any disagreement should be sanctioned by The RFU.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 06:01
For years I have railed against the RFU's chicanery and complete indifference to the game outside the elite level but it took a conversation with Peter Higgins who is outside any rugby orbit to shine a light on how bad the chronic maladministration of English Rugby has become.

In my twenties and early thirties I was suffering from a chronic illness that took hold very gradually and eventually got so bad it seriously affected the quality of my life. Bizarrely I didn't seek a diagnosis until a visiting family member was so shocked by my obvious physical distress they insisted I went to see a doctor. Looking back on it now it is inexplicable that I did nothing about it for such a long period of time. I just thought that perhaps my condition was just a normal part of life that came to everyone when they reached adulthood.

The game of rugby is afflicted by a similar chronic malaise that is going untreated because rugby has by and large learn't to live with this sickness even though it is seriously affecting the very fabric of our game. 

Unfortunately even though the venerable Peter Higgins has pointed out the "bl***ing obvious" it is not clear to me which doctor we should get a diagnosis from or whether there is actually any cure or palliative remedy
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 11:06
I am going to speak to the venerable Peter Higgins to ascertain his views on the latest very strong rumour that has come to my attention.

I understand (from someone who should know) that there is a proposal that is being put forward to the RFU Council members that next season the Championship should comprise 14 teams.  This unexpected twist is apparently to save London Scottish from relegation! 

My understanding is that the Council members will be asked to approve the inclusion of Wasps Phoenix, no relegation from the Championship (a reprieve for London Scottish), one team to be promoted from National One and of course no promotion for the team that wins the Championship.

I welcome a 14 team league but not the way it is proposed to be achieved, I am sure Peter Higgins will give me one of his head shakes....and I am sure he will tell me that...... 

If the Championship is to go to 14 teams surely it should be organised via:
- the relegation of the bottom club in the Premiership 
- the promotion of the club in first place in the Championship 
-  and the promotion of two sides from National 1

The genesis of this proposal, which apparently has been tabled by the RFU Management team (possibly one person or half a person) responsible for the Championship and is also backed by the Championship clubs perpetuates ring fencing. Surely two sides should be promoted from National 1? 

Am I being naïve?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 11:15
Expansion of leagues has traditionally been done by reducing the number of sides relegated.

However, as the RFU need 24 teams for their new cup, I cannot see this flying
I can see LS being reprieved due to the new pests not getting off the ground, or one more side goign belly up.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 11:20
You are probably right Camquin and I have nothing against London Scottish but in my mind it isn't right that 2 sides are not promoted from National 1 in these circumstances. Surely success should be reinforced rather than failure being rewarded.

Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 16:18
If Wasps are to be included (and I am still struggling to find how or why they should be) in the Championship, then it would be grossly unfair to relegate LS. Wasps went bust, not LS.
If the RFU want a 14 team 2nd tier and assuming that they will not relegate from or promote to the PL, then they should maintain the Championship 12 from this season and promote the top 2 in N1. Wasps can go fish as far as I’m concerned, but hey! That is my own personal opinion which others may well disagree with.
Tackle Low!!!!!
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 16:41
What makes the idea of a 14 team Championship even more incredulous is that the following season it has been suggested that will be reduced by 5 to give two 10 team Premiership 1 and 2 (ie 11 + 14 less 10 less 10). Hope this makes sense and that’s before I have touched a drop of 🍷
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 17:12
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

If Wasps are to be included (and I am still struggling to find how or why they should be) in the Championship, then it would be grossly unfair to relegate LS. Wasps went bust, not LS.
If the RFU want a 14 team 2nd tier and assuming that they will not relegate from or promote to the PL, then they should maintain the Championship 12 from this season and promote the top 2 in N1. Wasps can go fish as far as I’m concerned, but hey! That is my own personal opinion which others may well disagree with.

I completely agree Brizzer and I think the venerable Peter Higgins will as well when I next discuss the situation with him....
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 17:14
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

What makes the idea of a 14 team Championship even more incredulous is that the following season it has been suggested that will be reduced by 5 to give two 10 team Premiership 1 and 2 (ie 11 + 14 less 10 less 10). Hope this makes sense and that’s before I have touched a drop of 🍷

John,

I am sure when I explain your logical observation to the venerable Peter Higgins he may well turn to drink
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 17:56
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

For years I have railed against the RFU's chicanery and complete indifference to the game outside the elite level but it took a conversation with Peter Higgins who is outside any rugby orbit to shine a light on how bad the chronic maladministration of English Rugby has become.

In my twenties and early thirties I was suffering from a chronic illness that took hold very gradually and eventually got so bad it seriously affected the quality of my life. Bizarrely I didn't seek a diagnosis until a visiting family member was so shocked by my obvious physical distress they insisted I went to see a doctor. Looking back on it now it is inexplicable that I did nothing about it for such a long period of time. I just thought that perhaps my condition was just a normal part of life that came to everyone when they reached adulthood.

The game of rugby is afflicted by a similar chronic malaise that is going untreated because rugby has by and large learn't to live with this sickness even though it is seriously affecting the very fabric of our game. 

Unfortunately even though the venerable Peter Higgins has pointed out the "bl***ing obvious" it is not clear to me which doctor we should get a diagnosis from or whether there is actually any cure or palliative remedy

I fear the rugby equivalent of Dignitas is the only option.

I have long held the opinion that we need the majority of clubs in the Premiership to go to the wall in order for our game to be reset to operate in a sustainable manner. And if that means our top clubs are unable to compete in the European South African Cup then so what? Until then for me meaningful rugby only exists from the National League down and even that is becoming polluted by the incompetence above it. (No offence intended Big Eddie!).
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 20:34
WEvans,

I don't take issue with your assessment and I reinforce some of what you say below. However, I have to say that despite my own apprehension as to what the Championship experience would be like for Caldy I have enjoyed the experience way better than I expected. My present assessment of the Championship after almost a full season:

1. All the clubs without exception have been hugely hospitable and appear to be run by proper rugby people. It has been a joyous experience to visit these Championship clubs

2. The quality and standard of rugby has not been the attritional slug fest I feared. Some of the play has been exhilarating, exciting and  hugely entertaining. The Caldy v Bedford match was one of the greatest games of rugby I have ever seen.......and I have seen a few games!

3. Any team can beat any other on their day.....it is just a great product. 

4. The pre match and post match craic has been exceptional and the Ravers' creed 'Win or lose we are on the booze' is not out of place,

Economically rugby at the elite level is just plain bonkers. It is a terrible business with no prospect of ever reaching self sufficiency. I just pulled the latest filed sets of accounts for two different Premiership sides.

One is acknowledged to be in difficulty. I haven't seen any such comment about the other.

The latest publicly available balance sheet of the 'troubled' club has net liabilities of circa £4m (after including the value of the P Shares at a staggering £20m) 

The latest publicly available balance sheet of the other club has net liabilities of £1.5million (after including the P Shares at a valuation of nearly £18m)

Based on the filed accounts both clubs are heavily loss making and they only remain solvent because their owners continue to support them. I doubt whether either of the owners would persist with such a 'business' in any other sector. I am sure if I pulled a few more sets of accounts the pattern would be repeated.

Rugby is a shockingly bad business and for the life of me I cannot understand how any owner can enjoy the experience. It must be a gut wrenchingly corrosive ride.......with no end. The Championship and National 1 down seems to be a very much better place to be.

Edited by Big Eddie - 04 Apr 2023 at 20:43
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 23:58
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

The latest publicly available balance sheet of the 'troubled' club has net liabilities of circa £4m (after including the value of the P Shares at a staggering £20m) 

The Championship and National 1 down seems to be a very much better place to be.

BE - my accountancy days are long gone. Where does "Going concern" and "Trading whilst insolvent" fit in to the equation? 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 06:21
FHLH,

The 'troubled club' has a going concern qualification relating to material uncertainty in its latest filed accounts. The other club has written confirmation from its parent company relating to funding and the audit reort has no qualification re going concern.

I would suggest that the biggest issue in the balance sheet of both companies is the valuation of the P shares. With an ascribed carrying value of nearly £20m and nearly £18m for these 'investments' in the respective balance sheets I would suggest that if I asked Pete (I think everyone knows the venerable Peter Higgins well enough now that we can be more familiar) whether he would pay such amounts for these P shares he wouldn't need to ask his financial advisor .

Edited by Big Eddie - 05 Apr 2023 at 06:23
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 15:31
Big Eddie,

Firstly I totally accept your points above and am delighted Caldy have had a great and enjoyable season in the Championship.

My comment suggesting meaningful rugby does not exist in the Championship was made for several reasons. Firstly due to the ludicrous situation where one of the member clubs can only participate due to borrowing players from other clubs (31 so far by my reckoning). Secondly due to the farcical matter of promotion and thirdly due to the scandalous shenanigans apparently taking place to welcome the morally as well as financially bankrupt Wasps next season.

I fully accept the above is not the fault of the clubs (with the exception of the one which isn't really a club anymore) but in my humble opinion it all makes the Championship a meaningless league even if there is some decent rugby played.

Apologies for not making this clearer in my original post and I for one will welcome Caldy back to the National League if and when they are "fortunate" enough to win the only sort of promotion from the Championship that matters!

Edited by WEvans - 06 Apr 2023 at 15:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic