National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The venerable Peter Higgins is incredulous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 17:12
In the interest of balance I would also record that imo this has been a brilliant rugby season in Championship and the quality of rugby has been as good as I have seen in the last decade or so. The league has remained competitive at the top and bottom and with a few rounds to go it is still all to play for. There have been just shy of 8 tries scored in every game and there is only one hooker in the top ten individual try scorers. Scottish have done what they could with limited finances to compete and but for a couple of missed conversions nearly beat Jersey at St Peter and I for one will welcome them and Wasps next season in the same way I would any visiting team. The teams in the Championship next season will be determined by the RFU whom I have limited respect for but the clubs that we play should always be welcome.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 06 Apr 2023 at 17:39
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 18:42
Or not, depending on who ends up in the division.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 19:05
Wasps are a franchise, not a club...
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 20:01
Wasps FC is a perfectly fine club.
With great rivalries with Saracens, Ealing and London Scottish.
Herts II is a great league.

Wasps RFC is a mere phantom
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 22:08
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Quite
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 22:10
Originally posted by Moseley Mauler Moseley Mauler wrote:

Wasps are a franchise, not a club...
TheMK Dons of rugby.
At least they had the decency to move just once.
Our City,
Our Club
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 09:58
I was advised last weekend that there are pans for 12, 13 and 14 sides in the Championship, 14 being LS relegated, Wasps parachuted in, Rams and Sale FC promoted and ....wait for it.. Newcastle relegated having taken a £10m bung from the RFU to take relegation and no promotion, thus achieving the so long awaited ring fenced prem.  

I know what Mark says, but it's just another twisted tale in a long convoluted series fo them.

Edited by Whistle watcher - 09 Apr 2023 at 09:25
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 11:05
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Great community club, just up the road from me!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 17:00
I would like someone to explain to me what or how logic or fairness is involved in allowing a new rugby club called Wasps to enter the pyramid at level 2. I cannot see any justification for it and it once again smacks of chicanery 

Edited by Big Eddie - 10 Apr 2023 at 17:01
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 17:07
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

I would like someone to explain to me what or how logic or fairness is involved in allowing a new rugby club called Wasps to enter the pyramid at level 2. I cannot see any justification for it and it once again smacks of chicanery 

Trust me Big Eddie, we are all asking ourselves exactly the same thing.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 17:14
I cannot even see what the possible financial benefit is. Does the RFU believe that this new club will be awash with thousands of supporters that will benefit the Championship. Personally I very much doubt it.

It is just a decision with seemingly absolutely no merit that reflects very badly on the integrity, ability and common sense of the RFU. I hope someone can provide me with some potential justification because if there is none the RFU are in danger of being considered to be less than competent
''The future isn't what it used to be''
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 21:22
I believe that the RFU are seriously considering having no relegation from the championship , saving either Richmond or London Scottish and having a 14 team league plus a cup competition with the first six weeks being for the cup , whilst the World cup is on. The league will then start in Mod October and carry on  into May. Championship clubs will be required to play 32 matches. What happened to player safety and reducing the number of games. This will only happen for one season so what is the point. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic