National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

'Premiership' Cup confirmed....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Premiership' Cup confirmed....
    Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 15:40
Our City,
Our Club
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 15:49

Premiership Rugby, the RFU and the Championship clubs are delighted to confirm the format for next year's Premiership Cup. 

The Gallagher Premiership Rugby clubs will face the RFU Championship sides - with the competition kicking-off on September 8, 2023.   

The pool stages will take place over five consecutive weekends from the weekends of 8-10 September to 6-8 October with the semi-finals held over 9-11 February and the final over the weekend of 15-17 March.   

The 24 teams will be split into four pools of six - based on league standings at the end of the current 2022/23 season. 

Ravers v Sale, Pury v Glaws, Mond v Quins- surely it has to be.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 24 Apr 2023 at 15:55
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 15:52
So we will have 13 teams and the prem will have 11. The pools are based on this seasons standings…
So where are wasps in that equation?

Not dissing this long overdue concept. Just questioning the structure.
Forever Green.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 15:53
Six matches, five weekends?
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 15:56
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Teams only play the other 5 in the pool. 2 or 3 games at home.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 24 Apr 2023 at 15:58
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 15:59
D'oh, I was thinking six pools of four, so six matches.

So who gets the extra home match, baggsie it is the Championship sides.
Who doubts it will be the Premiership sides.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 16:03
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Teams only play the other 5 in the pool. 2 or 3 games at home.

For those who actually have a home
Tackle Low!!!!!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 16:19
A cup competition that no doubt will bring 100s through the gates, wishing to avoid the RWC on telly.

Although depending on the draw, maybe watching some Premiership 2/3 teams might make me excited. 

Hopefully regional draws, so guessing Northampton, Saracens, Ampthill, Bedford, Wasps (as the fake Premiership team) and one other.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 16:41
If they seed the pools and assuming league positions do not change and Wasps arrive with a budget.

Saracens, Bristol, Bath, Bedford, Cornish, Cambridge/Rams
Sale, Harlequins, Gloucester, Coventry, Doncaster, London Scottish
Leicester Tigers, Exeter Chiefs, Newcastle Falcons, Ealing, Ampthill, Caldy
Northampton Saints, London Irish, Wasps, Jersey, Hartpury, Nottingham
Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 16:42
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

A cup competition that no doubt will bring 100s through the gates, wishing to avoid the RWC on telly.

Although depending on the draw, maybe watching some Premiership 2/3 teams might make me excited. 

Hopefully regional draws, so guessing Northampton, Saracens, Ampthill, Bedford, Wasps (as the fake Premiership team) and one other.

Cambridge perhaps?
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 16:48
With the WC on, these fixtures will effectively become the PL clubs pre-season games, which I do not necessarily mind, but we could find ourselves playing against a third choice team or the starting squad players minus the WC players.
I haven’t checked but I bet that the semis and final ‘coincide’ with the 6 nations
Tackle Low!!!!!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 17:00
CPK, the only chickens I am counting are the ones in the run - though Mr. Redtail also counts those.
It will be Rams, unless we can beat Moseley.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 17:11
The other thing that has not passed me by is the hypocrisy that our grounds are not good enough to entertain the PL clubs in the PL but they are in the cup…. Or will all of the PL sides miraculously be drawn at home against the Championship clubs?
Tackle Low!!!!!
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 17:27
Fortunately for us, ours is deemed acceptable so maybe we get some home games. 

No, really it is a farce this ground malarkey 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 19:02
No doubt Prem Clubs won’t like Bedford as we have a slope in one corner (next to a bar).

Ampthill might upset a few players used to a luxury stadium with the mystery tour to the pi5ch.

Of course neither would be allowed in…so hopefully the young second stringers will enjoy visiting Championship grounds, where they may end up playing.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 20:14
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

…so hopefully the young second stringers will enjoy visiting Championship grounds, where they may end up playing.
.....or who already play there regularly, for the likes of London Scottish!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 21:19
I've been looking forward to this kind of cup for years. Ealing beat relatively strong Sarries sides (over 100 tier 1 nation caps) home and away when we made up our own Trailfinders cup a few years back. I hope that they do make it regional enough that the travelling support is strong.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 22:41
My first impression was brilliant, about time. However now looking at the small print in the statement I’m disheartened:

The 24 teams will be split into four pools of six - based on league standings at the end of the current 2022/23 season. 

This basically means that two pools will be the Prem sides plus Jersey and the other two pools being Champ sides. Ie all they are doing is running the Prem and Champ cups concurrently. Presumably the semis will be a Prem team vs a Champ team with a likely all Prem final. 

For this competition to be a success it should be equal Prem sides and Champ sides in each pool. That has the potential to drive a decent amount of interest and potential for some upsets. If however it is as I have described above then it’s dead in the water. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 23:09
I read that as it will be seeded. So the top four will be apart.
I suppose the others could be drawn from five pots, or assigned snakewise - that is Saracens as 1st seed getting the 8th, 9th, 16th, 17th and 24th seed, as I did above - is not entirely clear, but three of the pools should be three plus three.

It is also not clear where Wasps would be seeded, I assumed 12th.

Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 06:47
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

This basically means that two pools will be the Prem sides plus Jersey 
and of course Jersey would play all of their games away and pay their own expenses because their ground is not up to standard. Perhaps they should also play in budgie smugglers and bare feet. Jersey supporters would be able to watch games streamed to a car park a few miles from the ground.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 25 Apr 2023 at 07:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic