National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Another Guardian article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Guardian article
    Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 14:04
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 14:21
He's got several good points, but until clubs get together to call an EGM the powers that be will keep killing the game and picking up a fat salary and pension to boot 

The CCU  whatever they were called were all hot air for about 2 weeks in Jan, then nothing.

It will be late in about a months time and that I'm sorry to say will be a major nail in the club rugby coffin and once its gone its gone, it ain't coming back
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 14:27
An excellent series of articles by Robert Kitson, the problem is the RFU bigwigs don’t read the Guardian! 

We are all members of the RFU butvour main voice is through our CB reps. They have to represent the whole of their CB and, unfortunately, the views expressed by National League clubs are not always supported by the lower level Clubs.

My Club would love to be part of a playing pyramid which sees players move up and down between Clubs and Leagues to their, and their Club’s betterment but many smaller Clubs just see us as opposition and want our fringe players to be their stars with nothing in return. 

Getting holistic opinions in CBs can be like herding cats!
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 14:56
No my point is your man from Rams has hit it on the head.

The RFU are not fit for purpose, full stop!

So changes need to be made, not just let them carry on doing whatever they want and bully every club into going along with what they say.
The clubs in the UK have got to have a voice and do this. 
Next season there will be 100's of players stopping playing with this tackle law, on the back of that , clubs will go under or merge, that is a fact and a head on crash the RFU are walking into, eyes wide open. They have been told, they have been warned and what do they do, put on a few roadshows, where it was rammed home they are correct, they did not even do one in Cornwall, shows what they think of that part of the world!
The group of "Merry men and woman" at HQ are trying to flex to show they have more power than the clubs.

If we are not happy with a Government we get a chance to reelect, well the time has come for the member clubs to get rid of Sweeney and his jolly men with Paula Carter and elect a governing body that will look after the game of Rugby Football Union for all, not just the few!
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 16:15
When you consider the despicable and immoral way the RFU have run rugby in the last year or so and the fact that bar the odd article in the mainstream media there is absolutely no challenge to their leadership it seems that they can continue to carry on exactly as they please.

To be honest I see the only hope is that the class action over brain injuries succeeds and bankrupts the RFU forcing a new governing body to be formed because nothing else will force change. And even if this is likely to be years away. 
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 17:19
Not sure how many you need 
But I’m sure someone on here will know 

Call an EGM and get rid of the lot Sweeney downwards 

There are so many clubs upset I would not have thought it would be that hard to pull together 

If they get away with the changes this time next year there will be less clubs to call an EGM 

Edited by Scrumtime - 26 Apr 2023 at 17:21
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2023 at 17:46
The difficult part is getting to contact all the clubs.
And getting them to be interested.
If you want to help, drop me a PM.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 07:25
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

The difficult part is getting to contact all the clubs.
And getting them to be interested.
If you want to help, drop me a PM.

Thank you 

Jester : thoughts please?

I’m sure we can get the ball rolling on this site

But the bottom line is 

Sweeney and his merry troops have got to go and go now! 

Edited by Scrumtime - 27 Apr 2023 at 07:26
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 07:59
The RFU has a database of all clubs and contacts that is easily searchable. Compiling a database of 1000+ in a very short time frame would be quite simple. https://www.englandrugby.com/find-rugby
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 13:09
At the risk of being "that guy", I've said before on here. The Board and the Council are two distinct things. The Board header by Mr Sweeney are paid employees of the RFU so asking for the "head" of anyone from Sweeney down just isn't going to happen. The RFU as a Business and as a Governing Body needs to function with these professionals in place or find someone to replace those in post otherwise it will become a massive void.

Its these same professionals that advise the Council on matters such as the Tackle height and so on. Council members are elected by their Constituent Body to serve on council along with I think 4 or 5 independent Council Members. So who do you want to remove? The paid staff who if "sacked" may be paid off handsomely or the Council Members who serve a 3 year term before having to be re-elected or step down for someone else. 
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 14:40
I'm still unclear what any 'rebellion' would solve.

The tackle high issue is here to stay. The game has a legal duty to do something to reduce known injuries. 

Reorganisation of the leagues will never suit everyone. 

The only issue I can see which could be changed is the RFU dealings with the Premiership cartel to ensure a more equitable distribution of money (and power). 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 15:07
The tackle height in the community game will not solve concussion

Sir only has 1 set of eyes and in most games no team of 3 let alone a tmo. 

How many times do we see sir following a pass and missing the late upright hit of a tackler smashing a 10 or in what I reckon is the greatest number on concussions in lower level games impacts with the head in a ruck situation.

If they want to stop head impacts they need to clean up the tackle area so less bodies on the ground first and foremost, I am not saying bring back raking players on the ground but stop players going off their feet unless tackler/tackled and start it at the top of the game
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 18:21
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

At the risk of being "that guy", I've said before on here. The Board and the Council are two distinct things. The Board header by Mr Sweeney are paid employees of the RFU so asking for the "head" of anyone from Sweeney down just isn't going to happen. The RFU as a Business and as a Governing Body needs to function with these professionals in place or find someone to replace those in post otherwise it will become a massive void.

Its these same professionals that advise the Council on matters such as the Tackle height and so on. Council members are elected by their Constituent Body to serve on council along with I think 4 or 5 independent Council Members. So who do you want to remove? The paid staff who if "sacked" may be paid off handsomely or the Council Members who serve a 3 year term before having to be re-elected or step down for someone else. 

I agree with your sentiments PP, BUT, who are these paid employees working for? I would suggest that they work for us, the clubs who make up the Union. There has been some extremely poor examples of “business” management by some of OUR employees which, I hope, at review time are properly considered (assuming of course this takes place). The amount of our money that goes to the Premiership, whilst next to b—ger all goes to the community game is disgraceful.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 18:43
I do hope that everyone on here that is expressing criticism of the RFU has expressed the same view to their Council Member, normally a CB Rep. clubs come together only for the AGM, Council Members represent their Clubs between this AGMs so ensure that they are aware of your dissatisfaction and mandate them to vote the way you want them to on the issues that matter.
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 21:38
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

I do hope that everyone on here that is expressing criticism of the RFU has expressed the same view to their Council Member, normally a CB Rep. clubs come together only for the AGM, Council Members represent their Clubs between this AGMs so ensure that they are aware of your dissatisfaction and mandate them to vote the way you want them to on the issues that matter.

Definitely! 
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 06:32
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

We have and were fobbed off re the tackle, most CB members are so far removed from todays game and the needs of clubs we might as well be in the 1990's, which is where most are still living.

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 07:36
Can you go on the RFU website and see who the council members are and which areas/clubs they represent
So many Christians not enough Lions
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 07:46
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Can you go on the RFU website and see who the council members are and which areas/clubs they represent

Currently the About the RFU page from their Main Menu returns a Page Not Found.

There is still a post which lists some of the key figures dating back from 2021. - https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/what-is-the-rfu-council

Edited by ParkBench - 28 Apr 2023 at 08:03
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 08:21
Imagine if that sport with a round ball was run as bad as Rugby.

MPs would have them before a select committee.

Maybe time to write to our MPs and put the RFU under outside scrutiny?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 08:48
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Imagine if that sport with a round ball was run as bad as Rugby.

MPs would have them before a select committee.

Maybe time to write to our MPs and put the RFU under outside scrutiny?

You mean like this?

Remember Wakefield RFC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic