National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Championship 2023-2024 signings and departures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 17:32
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Greg Greg wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Cov sign Ryan Hutler from Jersey.

Former Blues winger and is a very good player.

A regular starter for Bedford and played very little for Jersey (correct me if I'm wrong - did he get injured?)
Yes, he appeared to miss quite a lot of games while injured.
Faster than someone really quick when fit tho. Brilliant signing by Cov imo.
From memory, yes you're correct.
It'll be good to have a winger in the Max Trimble (speed-wise) mould again.
Our City,
Our Club
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 18:14
 Karl Garside TH also staying at Donny

Along with...

Connor Davidson LH
Andrew Foster TH
George Roberts Hooker
Ben Murphy 2nd Row
Alex Dolly Scrum Half
Sam Olver Fly half
Joe Margetts Centre
Connor Edwards Centre
Harry Davey Wing/Centre/Fullback
Maliq Holden Wing   
George Simpson Wing
Billy McBride Fullback/Standoff

Edited by KnightsBoy - 12 May 2023 at 19:06
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 18:41
The Pirates leavers, a number of decent players there:

Four of those departing are forwards, namely backrowers Jarrard Hayler, Seb Nagle-Taylor and Bear Williams, and prop Hayden King.  As for the backs, fly-half Harry Bazalgette, scrum-half Tom Kessell, centres Rory Parata, Shae Tucker and Garyn Smith, full-back/wing AJ Cant, wing Robin Wedlake, and full-back Carwyn Penny are set to leave.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 19:04

Four of those departing are forwards, namely backrowers Jarrard Hayler, Seb Nagle-Taylor and Bear Williams, and prop Hayden King.  As for the backs, fly-half Harry Bazalgette, scrum-half Tom Kessell, centres Rory Parata, Shae Tucker and Garyn Smith, full-back/wing AJ Cant, wing Robin Wedlake, and full-back Carwyn Penny are set to leave.

Wouldn't mind one or two of these at Donny
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 19:18
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

AJ is on his way!
*Stalwart
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 19:22
Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

If correct that's quite a signing

AJ is on his way!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 23:15
There must be a Wasps XV in the leavers here and Premiership / Academies 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
HookerPaul View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 08:02
They will need more than XV to compete in the Championship.  Will be surprised if it happens with all the shenanigans going on.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 09:55
Originally posted by HookerPaul HookerPaul wrote:

They will need more than XV to compete in the Championship.  Will be surprised if it happens with all the shenanigans going on.

Yes I know, about 40

But if you look at leaving ex Wasps./Worcester, Premiership culls, Championship leavers on this thread plus imports the target is achievable. 

I don't think players are a problem, manager, pitch, management fit for purpose and ongoing ££ might be. 

Who gets the Worcester / Wasps PRL funding balance? 

Edited by FHLH - 13 May 2023 at 09:56
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 11:10
Putting my sensible head on, rare occasion, I would suggest that players, agents and other staff may be very wary of signing anything with Wasps until there are cast iron guarantees from RFU and other relevant parties as to where they will be based and, from the club, that they would get paid during the second half of next season.
As for any funding they may wish to attract/apply for, surely this should go to pay off some of their massive debt.  All they should be entitled to should be the pittance that RFU consider sufficient to run a Championship squad.
If they are in the Championship next season then it needs to be on a level playing field, no special treatment because they have a name.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 11:26
I think Dalaglio shouting out loud everywhere that Wasps are too big a brand to be relegated should give you an idea of how he will be manoeuvring behind the scenes of the PRL/RFU. There will be rules stretched way beyond reason to accommodate their privileged stars, that is of course if he has time dodging being made bankrupt himself over his unpaid tax bill.
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 11:59
Exactly.  All they currently have is a brand.  Remember Woolworths? Big brand.  Gone.  Think they still exist in the States under Wallmart.  Now theirs a thought.....USA Wasps anyone?
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 12:03
Woolworths still exists in South Africa. Wasps would fit well with Bulls and Cheetahs!
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 12:06
Woolworths are Australia’s biggest supermarket chain
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 12:32

Putting my sensible head on, rare occasion, I would suggest that players, agents and other staff may be very wary of signing anything with Wasps until there are cast iron guarantees from RFU and other relevant parties as to where they will be based and, from the club, that they would get paid during the second half of next season.
As for any funding they may wish to attract/apply for, surely this should go to pay off some of their massive debt.  All they should be entitled to should be the pittance that RFU consider sufficient to run a Championship squad.
If they are in the Championship next season then it needs to be on a level playing field, no special treatment because they have a name.

If they are in the Championship next season it will be entirely due to them having special treatment.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 12:40
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

I think that we should all keep in mind that Wasps has many, many passionate rugby fans, who have no fault in what their club's management did. That doesn't mean the club should get special treatment, but we should keep in mind that those fans have been through a rough time.

If they are in the Championship next season it will be entirely due to them having special treatment.
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 13:43
Totally agree Greg. Not the fans fault.  I would hate to be in their position.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 12:13

Totally agree Greg. Not the fans fault.  I would hate to be in their position.

I have sympathy for many of their fans although not for the deluded ones who are still blind to the behaviour of their past and present owners (just take a look at their online forum) but you can't give Championship places to a club just because their supporters have had a hard time.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 14:33
This used to be the 'signings' thread...
Our City,
Our Club
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 19:29
 Evan Mintern 2nd Row also staying at Donny

Along with...

Connor Davidson LH
Andrew Foster TH
Karl Garside TH
George Roberts Hooker
Ben Murphy 2nd Row
Ehizode Ehize 2nd Row
Alex Dolly Scrum Half
Sam Olver Fly half
Joe Margetts Centre
Connor Edwards Centre