National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

New Signings and Retentions 23-24 - Event Date: 01 May 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BFG1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New Signings and Retentions 23-24
    Posted: 03 May 2023 at 09:41
Billy Harding to Club I see
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 18:42
DMP confirm 6 departures https://www.mowdenpark.com/news/mowden-confirm-departing-players-2777959.html

Some big players in there, we will miss all of them respectfully but massively miss Josh Crickmay, and Dave Fisher in the pack and the boot of Matt (Kylie) Minouge next year
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 20:50
Originally posted by BFG1 BFG1 wrote:

Billy Harding to Club I see

That could be correct, as I understand it Blackheath have added an entire new front 5 to their current squad
RAID ON
Kentish Man View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentish Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 09:50
With some less than subtle approaches to the better players in Nat 2 being made 
FlyingRuck View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingRuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 13:00
Really?
See you further on up the road
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 13:51
Shock horror a rugby club talks to players about next season during the summer off season when most are out of contract. Be interesting if these knowledgeable people could name their source
So many Christians not enough Lions
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 15:43
Clubs speak to players all year, to understand their contractual commitments, interest, motivation, and financial expectations.

Agents essentially pimp players out to clubs trying to find their clients what they are looking for. Personally I don’t think any contact with a player is underhand unless they are poaching trying to get a player to break an existing agreement.

I know when I played after games opposition coaches regularly asked questions such as what are your plans for next year, how far do you commute and are travel costs covered, and sometimes as open as do you fancy coming down to play for us next season then linking with how much I would get.

It’s a competitive sport on the field and for it to be competitive an expectation of competitiveness off the field should be a given.

Just my opinion…. But complaining about approaching players is sour grapes, your coaches, committee and others are doing the exact same thing. 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 16:27
Yes even I was approached back in the 1970's lol, but do National 1 players really have agents?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 16:40
The ambitious ones do.
Sweeney Delenda Est
FlyingRuck View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingRuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 17:52
Absolutely
See you further on up the road
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 10:59
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Shock horror a rugby club talks to players about next season during the summer off season when most are out of contract. Be interesting if these knowledgeable people could name their source

I wouldn't hold your breath. Some posters seem happy to bad mouth others but are strangely reluctant to provide any evidence.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 11:40
Okay I promise when I go to watch Kent this afternoon I will be very careful what I say to any players I should speak to in case it is construed that I am trying to get them to change clubs not that I have any authority to do so

Sir_Q View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir_Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 15:17

Okay I promise when I go to watch Kent this afternoon I will be very careful what I say to any players I should speak to in case it is construed that I am trying to get them to change clubs not that I have any authority to do so

I couldn't get to Medway today unfortunately so any updates on the game would be most welcome Rabbie.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 17:35
Kent won 20-15 in the end from being 15-3 down at half time game changed when Kent made changes at 9&10 
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 20:18

Rabbie, assuming said comment from a gent with your experience should be taken as tongue in cheek Wink
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 18:50
DMP announce core forwards who’ve re-signed for next season - https://www.mowdenpark.com/news/dmp-announce-retained-forwards-2778966.html

Great to see all of the players retained by the club in particular-

Joe Craggs
Will Jones
Yaree Fantini 

I’m sure all of the above have had offers from clubs higher up the tiers great to see them in DMP colours again next year.

Darlington Mowden Park can confirm the retention of 11 forwards ahead of the 2023/24 National One season. With over 500 caps amongst them, the retained players include a mix of youth and experience. Asked about keeping the bulk of the forwards together: "We're pleased to have a core group of lads commit to next season. We are heavily active in trying to recruit some key positions to help push us forward for 2023/24."

Alfie Barron

Since his arrival from Hartpury in 2017, Alfie Barron has established himself as a mainstay in the DMP front row. Missing only a handful of games in his time at the club, Alfie reached 100 league appearance against Esher in December, and was one of three players to play in every game this season.

Sam Kyle-Clay

After signing from Fylde last summer, Sam Kyle-Clay has played a big part in his first season with the club whilst missing just 2 games all year. Since making his debut against Chinnor in September, Sam has been a regular in the DMP front row and goes into his second season with the club in 2023/24.

Isaac Kayada

Former Wasps Academy prop Isaac Kayada joined DMP mid way through the 2023/24 season, making his 1st XV debut against Plymouth in March. The Durham University student goes into his first full season with the club in 2023/24.

Carl Guest

Having signed from Hartpury in 2021, Carl Guest heads into his third season with the club in 2023/24. Able to cover both hooker and prop, Carl has amassed 41 league appearances in his two seasons in the North East, scoring 4 tries in the process.

Max Fraine

A new arrival for 2022/23, New Zealander Max Fraine has quickly established himself in the DMP front row. The young hooker has made 23 appearances in his opening season, including a Man of the Match performance against Plymouth in March.

Max Davies

Former England U20 international Max Davies heads into his fourth full season with the club, having arrived from Ealing Trailfinders in 2019. Max recently made his 50th DMP appearance against Plymouth, scoring 3 tries in 19 games this season.

Talite Vaioleti

Heading into his 10th season with the club, Tongan lock Talite Vaioleti has established himself as a firm fan favourite in the North East since his arrival from Jersey in 2013. Mowden's most capped active forward, Vaioleti has made 180 league appearances including 13 this season. 

Joe Craggs

An ever-present at the club, Joe Craggs has been an integral part of the DMP pack since his 1st XV debut in 2015. Craggs has amassed 178 appearances for the club at lock and back row, playing almost every minute of a 2022/23 season which saw him earn Man of the Match honours on four occasions.

Yaree Fantini

DMP's Supporters Player of the Season for 2022/23, flanker Yaree Fantini has made an instant impact at the club since his arrival from Benetton Treviso last summer. Having scored 14 tries in 23 appearances, Yaree heads into his second season with the club in 2023/24.

Will Jones

After arriving from Ospreys in 2021 Will Jones has quickly become a mainstay in the number 7 shirt, making 44 appearances in two seasons in the North East. DMP's Player of the Season for 2022/23, Will heads into his third season with the club in September.

Ollie Hodgson

DMP captain Ollie Hodgson extends his stay at the club having made his 150th appearance against Moseley in February. Since his debut in 2013, Ollie has been a huge part of the squad and has captained the side since 2017. This season has seen him score 4 tries in 17 league appearances at number 8.

Pistacio View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pistacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 12:54
not sure where to post this but Nick Easter been names as an Assistant coach for the USA 

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 13:05
Originally posted by Pistacio Pistacio wrote:

not sure where to post this but Nick Easter been names as an Assistant coach for the USA 

the link doesn't work
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 13:27
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Originally posted by Pistacio Pistacio wrote:

the link doesn't work

2023 USA Men’s Eagles Staff
Head Coach | Scott Lawrence
Assistant Coach - Attack | Alama Ieremia
Assistant Coach - Forwards and Defense | Nick Easter
Assistant Coach - Scrum | Blake Bradford
Head of Athlete Performance | Alex Ross
Individual Skill Development | Elvis Seveali’i
Head Analyst | Jimmy Harrison
Head Physiotherapist | Kristen Douhan
Sports Massage Therapist | Daliah Hurwitz
Team Manager | Oscar Alvarez

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 11:36
Are you a National League One level player, looking to join a thriving, historic club? - Blackheath Rugby

Now I understand what they are trying to achieve, but are they not in danger of upsetting the team who got them their promotion?
I'm sure all clubs will be looking to expand or strengthen their squads, but were I a second row at the club I might just feel a tad peed off, unless of course someone has either retired or left.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic