National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > English Counties and County Championships
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Bill Beaumont County Championship.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 21:04
I believe the player eligibility rule in the U20 County Championship was a complete and utter clusterf...

Looking at the final tables I think 11 County's got docked points and several walkovers.....

Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 11:01
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

If you read the message again properly, you'll appreciate that both sides were indeed littered with Nat 1 AND Nat 2 playersย Wink. I haven't got an issue with it a all but it should be consistent across the counties to make for a good competitive competition.

Totally agree - how does a county reach the top division if they cannot field any of their better players?

Any player level 3 and below should be allowed to represent their county irrespective of which division the county is in
RAID ON
RedPete View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 11:31
I think there were at least 2 Taunton players who really wanted to play for Dorset but could not as they were level 3 players, I expect they could have played for Somerset but they were Dorset born & bred so didn't really want to
Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conmen.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 15:42
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

If you read the message again properly, you'll appreciate that both sides were indeed littered with Nat 1 AND Nat 2 players Wink. I haven't got an issue with it a all but it should be consistent across the counties to make for a good competitive competition.

Totally agree - how does a county reach the top division if they cannot field any of their better players?

Any player level 3 and below should be allowed to represent their county irrespective of which division the county is in

There was an article in TRP a month or two ago saying at the CC are being re-organised. If I remember correctly out goes promotion and relegation and each season a county will be able to 'decide' which level it wants to play at based on the quality of the players available.  I think - although I may be wrong - that all players in the Community game would become eligable - regardless of the level they are playing in.
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
SmilingD View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmilingD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 19:02
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

If you read the message again properly, you'll appreciate that both sides were indeed littered with Nat 1 AND Nat 2 players Wink. I haven't got an issue with it a all but it should be consistent across the counties to make for a good competitive competition.

There was an article in TRP a month or two ago saying at the CC are being re-organised. If I remember correctly out goes promotion and relegation and each season a county will be able to 'decide' which level it wants to play at based on the quality of the players available.  I think - although I may be wrong - that all players in the Community game would become eligable - regardless of the level they are playing in.

That was more or less the position this year, Richard. CBs were asked what level they believed they could sustain based on the clubs that were in their area. Some CBs rightly (for them) want to pursue the highest level they can and they are mostly in Division 1 where they can play anyone registered at National 1 downwards.

In Eastern Counties we have chosen to spread our net more widely: in Division 2 we are only able to select from Level 5 down (which is hard lines on players at Cambridge, Bury St Edmunds and North Walsham - who are excluded even if they are not in the first team squad) - but does mean that we have 15 different clubs represented in our squad this season. We are determined to rebuild the connection between the players across our patch and CB representative rugby.

And with Cambridge going up to the Championship and therefore not even eligible at Division 1, I doubt we will be changing our position for next season.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 15:27
SmilingD, but no players from Level 5 clubs (Colchester, Sudbury, Shelford) are represented...perhaps those players from Level 6, 7 and below feel connected to the CB, but clearly those above do not!

SmilingD View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmilingD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 17:47
There are players from all three of those clubs in the squad for tomorrow's match. And there were players from all three of those clubs in last week's squad. Along with another twelve clubs represented in our championship squad.

Of course we would like more players to put themselves forward, but the bottom line is that we are picking from players who want to play enough to make themselves available - we aren't twisting anybody arm to extend their season reluctantly.
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 15:42
First part of the double header at Doncaster Yorkshire Women 19, Leicestershire Women 40.

Remember Wakefield RFC
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 16:41

First part of the double header at Doncaster Yorkshire Women 19, Leicestershire Women 40.

Half time men's game Yorkshire lead 42-5.

Remember Wakefield RFC
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 16:53
May 13.
East Midlands 23 North Midlands 21.
Cauliflower ear.
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 17:25
Kent 43 Somerset 7 I think 
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 17:35

Half time men's game Yorkshire lead 42-5.

Full time Yorkshire won  87-19.

Remember Wakefield RFC
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 20:02
I believe Yorkshire's win was their biggest in terms of both points scored and winning margin.  The top 10. 

Sat 13/05/2023 Cheshire 87 19
Sat 07/12/1996 Staffordshire 77 15
Sun 23/04/2000 Leicestershire 76 10
Sun 07/05/2023 Hertfordshire 70 19
Sat 14/12/1996 North Midlands 69 17
Wed 04/11/1987 Cheshire 68 8
Sat 17/05/2003 Durham 62 0
Sat 20/05/2017 Eastern Counties 61 15
Sat 04/05/2019 Northumberland 59 3
Sat 15/12/1990 North Midlands 57 4
Sat 05/05/2007 North Midlands 57 19
Sat 23/05/2009 Warwickshire 56 3
Sat 21/05/2011 Warwickshire 54 10
Sat 13/12/1997 Staffordshire 52 7
Sat 07/05/2022 Northumberland 52 40
Wed 14/10/1970 Universities Athletic Union 51 8
Sat 10/04/1999 Staffordshire 50 0

Remember Wakefield RFC
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 08:21
Yorkshire pretty much smashed Cheshire off the park. Sam Pocklington (scrum half) bossed it and scored some sublime tries. An entertaining afternoon.

The Yorkshire ladies did very well against Leicester Tigers ladies. Although the Tigers fitness shone through in the later stages to allow them the win. Rumour has it that the Tigers will soon get a berth at the Premiership 15s table (potentially 24/25 season) so watch out the other counties this could be the team to beat.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Sedge Tiger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 11:47
castleparknight wrote: 

(Yorkshire pretty much smashed Cheshire off the park. Sam Pocklington (scrum half) bossed it and scored some sublime tries. An entertaining afternoon.) quote 

Itโ€™s a reality check time next week at Park Lane for the Mens  White Rose Squad.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚I wish I hadnโ€™t said that now๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

All the best 

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 14 May 2023 at 14:03
Give him one with handles on
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 11:53
I think Leicestershire woman have already lost to Lancashire women so not sure they'll be the team to beat?
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 22:07
Originally posted by Sedge Tiger Sedge Tiger wrote:

castleparknight wrote: 

(Yorkshire pretty much smashed Cheshire off the park. Sam Pocklington (scrum half) bossed it and scored some sublime tries. An entertaining afternoon.) quote 

Itโ€™s a reality check time next week at Park Lane for the Mens  White Rose Squad.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚I wish I hadnโ€™t said that now๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

All the best 

ST

I presume you will be at the game on Saturday? I am coming across to hopefully see you eat humble pie ๐Ÿ˜Š

Remember Wakefield RFC
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 14:43
Lovely sunny day here a Park Lane a decent crowd gathering for a  much anticipated Red Rose victory Big smileLOL

Joking aside should be a great game

All the best 

ST

Edited by Sedge Tiger - 20 May 2023 at 14:44
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 14:53

Originally posted by Sedge Tiger Sedge Tiger wrote:

castleparknight wrote: 

All the best 

ST

I presume you will be at the game on Saturday? I am coming across to hopefully see you eat humble pie ๐Ÿ˜Š

My favourite type of pie Richard ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 15:05
You were saying!!! Lancashire 7 Yorks 0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic