National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedCup Final Predictions, Team News etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: In a knockout match at Vallis Way who will win?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [47.62%]
11 [52.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 16:09
Congratulations EailingClapClapClap nice end to the season. Very unlucky Jersey great effort this season. Try and enjoy your evening Islander. Wink

All the best 

ST 
Give him one with handles on
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 17:59
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

By not showing the Championship Cup Final live on TV, I think that the RFU, Championship Rugby and, perhaps Ealing, are showing this tournament the contempt that most of us think it deserves!

I love this competition.  It is a few more weeks of rugby and todays game was very entertaining.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 18:40
A truly exceptional game today, the best vs the best. Jersey were outstanding for 60 mins and the game hinged on the try/no-try given by the linesman. From my vantage point in front of the bar it was 50/50. The game seemed to open up for Ealing after that point and Jersery scored a couple of late tries to make it a tense finish but what a finale to the season. Shame it wasn’t streamed for those who couldn’t be here. I’m hopeful that the new Prem/Champ cup will ignite interest, especially for the neutral. Well played all, enjoy the well deserved break. #UpTheChamp
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 22:21
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

A truly exceptional game today, the best vs the best. Jersey were outstanding for 60 mins and the game hinged on the try/no-try given by the linesman. From my vantage point in front of the bar it was 50/50. The game seemed to open up for Ealing after that point and Jersery scored a couple of late tries to make it a tense finish but what a finale to the season. Shame it wasn’t streamed for those who couldn’t be here. I’m hopeful that the new Prem/Champ cup will ignite interest, especially for the neutral. Well played all, enjoy the well deserved break. #UpTheChamp

Fully agree mate a cracking match with genuine quality and a real contest. The Championship has moved up a gear this season and with several other clubs upping their game the signs are very positive going forward. Today's match would have made a great Championship playoff final first leg between the top two teams. Imagine the supporters interest in seeing a second leg at St Peter if promotion hung on it. The RFU would probably stream that one.

A few postscripts:
  • Thanks to everyone at Ealing for the hospitality and banter. The quality has got better every year and the supporters are growing in numbers and in passion. The lad with the huge drum reminded me of the old South Stand at Leeds and should definitely get a free season ticket for his efforts. 
  • I hope the young flyhalf recovers from his injury - he looks a real asset for the future and using LD to take the pressure off his kicking is a masterstoke.
  • Great sign off by TJ Harris with a try in his last game for Jersey - could one of the clubs post it on the highlights please.
  • Brilliant match reaction from Ben Ward - a real Ealing rugby man to his core and a credit to the Championship - in any other season your squad would have won everything mate.
  • It remarkably took me less than an hour to travel by foot and public transport to LHR T5 - there cant be an eeasier ground to visit from Jersey.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 14 May 2023 at 09:19
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 11:26
A great game & have to echo the regret from many that it was unavailable to watch. I realise there was an overlap with 1st 15 mins of Prem SF, but with little other rugby being played except the County Champs I’m sure there’d have been an audience…

You could look at the scoreboard & say ET won it by 5 conversions (inc some very well-struck efforts) to 3 (with 1 of the misses a 79th-min rushed drop-kick)… but that would deny the nature of a game in which Ealing dominated territory & possession. But for some errors & the quality of the Reds’ defence they would have won by more, in the same way that the Reds could/should have achieved a bigger score line than 19-13 in the Champ decider 3 weeks earlier. But in both cases it was all about the win & most seemed to feel both winning teams deserved it on the day… 
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 15:14
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

Fully agree mate a cracking match with genuine quality and a real contest. The Championship has moved up a gear this season and with several other clubs upping their game the signs are very positive going forward. Today's match would have made a great Championship playoff final first leg between the top two teams. Imagine the supporters interest in seeing a second leg at St Peter if promotion hung on it. The RFU would probably stream that one.

A few postscripts:
  • Thanks to everyone at Ealing for the hospitality and banter. The quality has got better every year and the supporters are growing in numbers and in passion. The lad with the huge drum reminded me of the old South Stand at Leeds and should definitely get a free season ticket for his efforts. 
  • I hope the young flyhalf recovers from his injury - he looks a real asset for the future and using LD to take the pressure off his kicking is a masterstoke.
  • Great sign off by TJ Harris with a try in his last game for Jersey - could one of the clubs post it on the highlights please.
  • Brilliant match reaction from Ben Ward - a real Ealing rugby man to his core and a credit to the Championship - in any other season your squad would have won everything mate.
  • It remarkably took me less than an hour to travel by foot and public transport to LHR T5 - there cant be an eeasier ground to visit from Jersey.
It was excellent to share some of the banter with you and meet in person finally CC. A few final thoughts from me as well as the season comes to an end:

* Vallis Way is one of the easiest grounds to access in Rugby in terms of public transport thanks to its location adjacent to a rail station, walking distance from the Elizabeth line, and frequent bus links from several transport hubs. I hope that the RFU keeps this in mind when reviewing the ground before denying us promotion opportunities again next year.

* It was an entertaining contest yesterday, with great visiting fans, and I was extremely happy to have another weekend of rugby to watch. Although the final received no promotion or support from the RFU, was not televised, required a flight for the visitors, and there was only one week's notice, the crowd was still 1200+. Not an amazing crowd, but there was a high proportion of 'new' fans yesterday who hadn't been to a first team game before, many of which have their kids in the mini's, so the cup did at least some good.

* Keeping in mind what I just said, I don't think that anyone will miss this competition when it is gone. This season it happened to serve a bit of a purpose by providing the rubber between Ealing and Jersey, but we really do need to see some variety.

* Less than 4 months to go until the Premiership Cup kicks off on 8th September!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 06:58
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 07:32
It's worth staying tuned in the above package - or scrolling through if you are really short of time - until 30ish secs from the end - the final try is a corker!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 08:31
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

It's worth staying tuned in the above package - or scrolling through if you are really short of time - until 30ish secs from the end - the final try is a corker!
It was - and nice to see a Cov player finishing it off Wink
What a shame a few more didn't pay to see it on the day. I wonder what Ealing have to do?
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic