National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Let's make next season even better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's make next season even better
    Posted: 08 May 2023 at 11:29
Some random thoughts which might make next season even better than 2022/23:
  • Automatic promotion and relegation based on performance on the pitch rather than the financially wasteful ground criteria.
  • Playoffs 
  • Stream one match every round but kickoff at 12.30 so it can be screened in other clubs before their own games.
  • Stop issuing automatic yellow cards when awarding penalty tries which imo is punishment enough.
  • Limit the number of short term loan/DR players in a match day squad to six.

Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 13:12
Promotion - with clarity about how many promotion places at the start of the season
Relegation - as without this there is no promotion, under the same criteria.
A full league season, so there is no need for play-offs.
I think we get 27 games this season, 5 in the cup and 24 in the league. - which is 14 guaranteed home games. That should be enough.

We cannot do anything about the laws as issued by IRB, so the yellow after a penalty try stands. I would actually go the other way, and issue yellows even though the opposition took the advantage and scored the try - foul play is still foul play.

My pet hate is the 50:22 - introduced to make more space, which was missing because nobody played on a wide enough pitch. So I would add, every side playing on a pitch 100 by 70 metre pitch with in-goal areas at least 10 metres deep

Some central publicity about the Championship
A decent round up program, with enough marketing that people find it - even if it is only on the internet.
Scores given in the TV coverage of the Premiership.

Sweeney Delenda Est
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 13:43
I agree with corporal carrot about play-offs. They keep the season alive for longer with more meaningful games.
It should be part of whatever TV contract is devised that the Championship should be given, at the very least, a mention and not completely ignored as it is at present.

*Stalwart
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 15:17
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Promotion - with clarity about how many promotion places at the start of the season

Don't be silly Camquin. What other sport decides how many teams will be promoted and relegated before the start of the season?

Oh hang on a moment it's every single one isn't it?
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 15:27

Relegation - as without this there is no promotion, under the same criteria.
A full league season, so there is no need for play-offs.
I think we get 27 games this season, 5 in the cup and 24 in the league. - which is 14 guaranteed home games. That should be enough.

We cannot do anything about the laws as issued by IRB, so the yellow after a penalty try stands. I would actually go the other way, and issue yellows even though the opposition took the advantage and scored the try - foul play is still foul play.

My pet hate is the 50:22 - introduced to make more space, which was missing because nobody played on a wide enough pitch. So I would add, every side playing on a pitch 100 by 70 metre pitch with in-goal areas at least 10 metres deep

Some central publicity about the Championship
A decent round up program, with enough marketing that people find it - even if it is only on the internet.
Scores given in the TV coverage of the Premiership.

Cam, can I break this to you gently?
While the NCA have a professionally organised group of leagues (from an outside view). The RFU treat and run the Championship like a carbuncle.

It’s a miracle each season we get to the end and find out we have not been relegated en masse to the German second division…although I expect a joint announcement between the RFU and DRV any season now.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 16:47
I had noticed.
Sweeney Delenda Est
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 18:08

I had noticed.

😂
Looking forward to new beginnings.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 20:03

I think Northampton and Twickenham are the only pitch that size at the moment...................(but I suspect you already knew that lol)

Edited by tigerburnie - 08 May 2023 at 20:04
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 20:35
The goal line drop out is the one that gets my goat. I don’t see what was wrong before. If the attacking side are trying to score, but are held up, they still have possession, so it should be an attacking 5 mtr scrum. Likewise, if the attacking side play the ball into dead ball and it is touched down, they no longer have possession, it should be a 22 drop out…. What was so wrong with that?
Tackle Low!!!!!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 20:52
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

The goal line drop out is the one that gets my goat. I don’t see what was wrong before. If the attacking side are trying to score, but are held up, they still have possession, so it should be an attacking 5 mtr scrum. Likewise, if the attacking side play the ball into dead ball and it is touched down, they no longer have possession, it should be a 22 drop out…. What was so wrong with that?

Agreed, total ridiculous law change.

Going down to 13 if a prop gets injured e.g. fail HIA and then the next gets a yellow is equally ridiculous. 

As is getting a yellow card as a prop as you are not as good as the opponent. Penalties and Penalty tries are big enough sanctions.

Proper enforcement of the 10m when taking a quick penalty and making kickers at penalties kick at the mark and not a few metres ahead of it. You can’t do it kicking for the posts so you shouldn’t be able to steal some extra metres when kicking for touch.

FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 21:01
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

The goal line drop out is the one that gets my goat

Spot on! So weird

Small pitches

When I started a Level 10 (?) club we were lucky enough to have the use of a recreaction ground. We laid out 70w x  100m with 22 dead ball areas. I've never seen such fast flowing rugby - busy wingers. It may have been Level 10 but it was fast.

The Championship - all Levels - with maximum size pitches would be outstanding.

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 22:39
No argument from me. Fair boils my p. 

Which is nothing compared to my loathing of the current scrum put in ‘laws’. Get hookers hooking again. Angry

One Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 22:44
Originally posted by Old Gold Old Gold wrote:

Get hookers hooking again. Angry

Let's get that on a t-shirt!
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 22:54
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Originally posted by Old Gold Old Gold wrote:

Get hookers hooking again. Angry

Let's get that on a t-shirt!

LOLLOLLOL
One Club
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 08:47
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Going down to 13 if a prop gets injured e.g. fail HIA and then the next gets a yellow is equally ridiculous. 

As is getting a yellow card as a prop as you are not as good as the opponent. Penalties and Penalty tries are big enough sanctions.
Fully agree with this.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Abbotsman View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Abbotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 09:34
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

• Automatic promotion and relegation based on performance on the pitch rather than the financially wasteful ground criteria.
  • Playoffs 
  • Stream one match every round but kickoff at 12.30 so it can be screened in other clubs before their own games.
  • Stop issuing automatic yellow cards when awarding penalty tries which imo is punishment enough.

- Yes
   - play off for what if automatic promotion?  
   - No
   - Yes
   - Yes

RobC View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 15:40

Fully agree with this.

Absolutely!
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 16:24

Proper enforcement of the 10m when taking a quick penalty and making kickers at penalties kick at the mark and not a few metres ahead of it. You can’t do it kicking for the posts so you shouldn’t be able to steal some extra metres when kicking for touch.

With you on these points
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 18:04
Jersey are mentioned (in the Telegraph) as having seen a fixture list with 14 clubs and 26 fixtures despite the RFU telling them to prepare for a 13 team Championship.

Have any other clubs seen the provisional fixture list? 
BlueButHappyReturns View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueButHappyReturns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 18:17

• Playoffs 

Agree with all the above except ‘Playoffs’ - who between and for what purpose?

If in the highly unlikely event we have Promotion/Relegation without the Ground Criteria nonsense, then yes, playoff between 2nd bottom and 2nd top from division below. Premiership/Championship/ND1.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned, end Yellow cards being given to crap props. Losing scrum/giving away penalties is punishment enough. Keep them in the event of Penalty Tries if the ref deems it appropriate but NOT mandatory.
Only dead fish go with the flow..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic