National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

N/E/W division

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Otley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red over White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 20:51
With Wasps being sent to the bottom of the pyramid, there is now a possible vacancy in the Championship. 
If it is filled from below there is going to be a ripple effect on the leagues below. If a team is taken from National 1, then Fylde could have the opportunity to go up as the club which has won the most games across the second placed teams from our three leagues. It could also mean Lymm coming into N2N to replace Fylde.
If it isn’t filled, expect a lot of shouting from the Championship for the loss of match income.
Either way, RFU need to make a decision quickly so clubs can plan, oh pigs might fly!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 20:59
I have it on good authority that there will be no shuffle upwards. The Championship will continue with 12 teams. The outstanding question is how the Cup will be structured. Now we wait on the London Irish deadline!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 21:16
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

I have it on good authority that there will be no shuffle upwards. The Championship will continue with 12 teams. The outstanding question is how the Cup will be structured. Now we wait on the London Irish deadline!

A suggestwould be to bin the cup - Premiership sides are likely to field a lot of Academy players (as in the old Premier Cup) thus leaving a number of championship sides struggling to get 15 out.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 21:19
We will probably find out on Monday when Conor O’Shea speaks to the NLR AGM.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 22:02
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

A suggestwould be to bin the cup - Premiership sides are likely to field a lot of Academy players (as in the old Premier Cup) thus leaving a number of championship sides struggling to get 15 out.

I think this is a gross exaggeration.
Tyke View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 08:56

The RFU's principle used to be that teams were not promoted as a result of "vacancies" appearing at a higher level, rather that teams were saved from relegation. Thus Richmond, Esher and then, based on geography, Rochford would remain in their previous leagues. There would be a knock on through the lower leagues.

I realise I have used RFU and principle in the same sentence and await a ritual flogging Wink
If only Webb-Ellis hadn't given them the ball back!
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 09:02
It's a moot point whether the Wasps' news leaves a vacancy in the Champ. Yes, there was a notion of 13 clubs for next season, leaving 24 in the top 2 tiers; but on the other hand the second tier hasn't had more than 12 clubs for 15 years.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:04
The ideal situation for the PRL sides was a five-week tournament.
So four pools of six.

I am sure they will not do anything until they know what is happening with London Irish - which we should know in two weeks.

Changing the size of the Premiership means negotiating with the other European leagues.

As I remember, they said the Championship would consist of the 11 Championship sides, the promoted Nat1 side and possibly Wasps and Worcester - so that suggests no lifeline for Richmond.

And there has been talk of a Barbarians side in the Cup - though I am not sure where they could play.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:18
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

And there has been talk of a Barbarians side in the Cup - though I am not sure where they could play.

Sixways Wink
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:26
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Sixways Wink

Or they could play all games away
RAID ON
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 18:22
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Or they (Barbarians) could play all games away

exactly what I thought
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 16:53
Hearing a rumour that Lymm, on appeal, go north, Chester  west
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 17:12
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

Hearing a rumour that Lymm, on appeal, go north, Chester  west

Where from ?
Nothing on any relevant websites etc.
All Knwoing All Seeing
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 17:43
It will come out soon. RFU rejected a 15 team league that both clubs flavoured.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 17:54
Can Chester appeal the appeal?
All Knwoing All Seeing
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 18:12
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

It will come out soon. RFU rejected a 15 team league that both clubs flavoured.

Mmmmm, flavoured clubs! ;)
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 20:02
If true it will be the first successful appeal on record - I doubt it's true
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 20:39
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

If true it will be the first successful appeal on record - I doubt it's true
I've heard it from people at both clubs, both with the same version of the story.
Went to the very top, and the original decision overturned.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 22:21
"People" in a position of knowledge or "people" just speculating. If the RFU pressed their mileage calculator button and Lymm came out as having the lesser travel then how has that changed? Chester presumably then were deemed to have further to travel so on what grounds can that be overturned? Just seems mega-odd!! 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 08:54
The more I think about this "rumour" the more ludicrous it becomes!
"Both clubs favoured a 15 team league" If that is/was an actual suggestion then both clubs are being run by buffoon's (which I'm sure they're not!!)
Such a proposal would require 15 extra playing Saturdays to accommodate 1 club "resting" every week - so effectively almost a full year to complete a full league programme - never going to happen! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic