National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Next season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 09:19
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Not too sure where this payment thing has sprung from, what I have heard is the RFU will only be funding Prem1 and 2, Nat 1 and 2 will get no funding hence the additional leagues to negate any travelling expenses. My understanding is the whole idea is a cost saving exercise, the first instalment was Nat 2 West, when all travel payments ceased due to less travel.........well at least the RFU seemed to think there was less travel.

Sorry but its done nothing for travel and its diluted the leagues and the standard.
You have sides in National 2 now that are just not good enough

The one thing that was not broken was the ladder from Nat 1 downwards.
But they had to mess about with it. Adding 3 leagues at level 4 and adding 2nd xv's lower.

So so wrong 

Times have changed, the RFU will not pay for travel or overnight accommodation anymore, Lymm were promoted fair and square but could not take on the huge travel and associated cost of Nat2 West and have seemingly been able to stay in the North. Leicester Lions were level transferred South, lost all their local derby games which swelled the coffers and travelled the length and breadth of southern England, without the funding to assist wit travel, the Lions might well have struggled. Last year in West league we had a taste of having to fund those costs, this may well have given the club an idea of sustainability in Nat !.
I do not like this talk of watering down, you are insulting clubs and their teams, you are proposing ring fencing through the back door, a thing we all dislike about the Premiership. To use travel as a base for league structure may seem the wrong way to do it, but with rising costs, the need to be more environmentally aware and travel less, maybe it is the logical way. A Nat1 North and a Nat1 South will need time to bed in, but I am sure that if there was a playoff for who went up into Prem 2 it would provide exactly the level of competition we all desire.
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 10:12
Thumbs Up

Edited by WILD BOAR - 05 Jun 2023 at 13:11
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 10:35

Not too sure where this payment thing has sprung from, what I have heard is the RFU will only be funding Prem1 and 2, Nat 1 and 2 will get no funding hence the additional leagues to negate any travelling expenses. My understanding is the whole idea is a cost saving exercise, the first instalment was Nat 2 West, when all travel payments ceased due to less travel.........well at least the RFU seemed to think there was less travel.

Sorry but its done nothing for travel and its diluted the leagues and the standard.
You have sides in National 2 now that are just not good enough

The one thing that was not broken was the ladder from Nat 1 downwards.
But they had to mess about with it. Adding 3 leagues at level 4 and adding 2nd xv's lower.

So so wrong 

Times have changed, the RFU will not pay for travel or overnight accommodation anymore, Lymm were promoted fair and square but could not take on the huge travel and associated cost of Nat2 West and have seemingly been able to stay in the North. Leicester Lions were level transferred South, lost all their local derby games which swelled the coffers and travelled the length and breadth of southern England, without the funding to assist wit travel, the Lions might well have struggled. Last year in West league we had a taste of having to fund those costs, this may well have given the club an idea of sustainability in Nat !.
I do not like this talk of watering down, you are insulting clubs and their teams, you are proposing ring fencing through the back door, a thing we all dislike about the Premiership. To use travel as a base for league structure may seem the wrong way to do it, but with rising costs, the need to be more environmentally aware and travel less, maybe it is the logical way. A Nat1 North and a Nat1 South will need time to bed in, but I am sure that if there was a playoff for who went up into Prem 2 it would provide exactly the level of competition we all desire.

Nobody is talking of ring fencing anything 

I am saying stay as we are one National 1 and back to 2 National 2
Top go up 2nd in play off.. bottom 3 from Nat 1 go

The RFU have not put a penny in National 1 for the last 6-7 years..

And yes, National 2 has been watered down..

Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 12:06
The idea of splitting National 1 into two Leagues has been discussed by the Clubs themselves and received cautious, but not unanimous approval. It has been fed back to the RFU that National 1 Clubs must have 13 meaningful home matches per season. That would mean a minimum League size of 12 teams (for example) with 2 home matches in play-offs. The RFU have accepted the fact that National 1 Clubs (and Championship/Prem 2 Clubs) need meaningful home matches for income generation.

There is an RFU Travel Fund to which Clubs can apply for long-distance journey costs. At National 2 trips to Guernsey are part-funded and can be added to through that Fund. 

If the RFU were to fund National 1 and 2 I would expect it to be through infrastructure investment - improved Clubhouse facilities, better stands and artificial pitches. Those improvements would make it easier to attract and retain players, recognising that there is already a group of players (still the minority) who seek to play for money and not for friendship.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 12:42
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

You miss my point.. My point being National 1 is and has always been top of the tree for Semi Pro rugby in England.Why split that into 2 divisions ? and have 28 clubs playing instead of 14. There is no point.
Just like there was no point in doing what they did to National 2.. The removal of the play off is a shame..

I think the point is that the RFU don't want payments to be made to players outside of the top two leagues. 

Yet they were/are happy to turn a blind eye towards those who organised the financial cheating at the top level of the game for years and years. 

The hypocrisy is yet again breathtaking.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 12:58
Halliford with the greatest respect,"recognising that there is already a group of players (still the minority) who seek to play for money"

Id say the majority play for fees at Nat 1 and 2, being it match fees, win bonus, signing on fee or retainer or in some cases employment
Even you own club is throwing adverts out for players offering some if not all of the above.

Now thats no slight, but I wonder how much income you will lose if Nat 1 goes to 2 leagues and Nat 2 4.
I think and its my view the whole lot will be devalued

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 13:22
It can be the majority of the players in National - and even regional leagues - but a minority of all players.

Going back to 2/4/8 is a retrograde step. In order to reduce overall travel, you need fewer teams in the pyramid, not more.

National league clubs are the minority, so the solution should work for the majority, though it is going to be a compromise. And of course, there are two problems:

- not all the clubs want the same thing
- those clubs that feel the new solution is worse for them will shout loudly, while those who think it is 
  slightly better will quietly get on with life.

Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 14:46
The thing is we're all getting excited about something we little or no knowledge of, we may know more soon........................maybe.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 15:44
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

You miss my point.. My point being National 1 is and has always been top of the tree for Semi Pro rugby in England.Why split that into 2 divisions ? and have 28 clubs playing instead of 14. There is no point.
Just like there was no point in doing what they did to National 2.. The removal of the play off is a shame..

I think the point is that the RFU don't want payments to be made to players outside of the top two leagues. 

Yet they were/are happy to turn a blind eye towards those who organised the financial cheating at the top level of the game for years and years. 

The hypocrisy is yet again breathtaking.

The RFU don't control the Premiership, that is the PRL self policing, so no hypocrisy. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 15:50
Such is the off season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 15:50
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

The idea of splitting National 1 into two Leagues has been discussed by the Clubs themselves and received cautious, but not unanimous approval. It has been fed back to the RFU that National 1 Clubs must have 13 meaningful home matches per season. That would mean a minimum League size of 12 teams (for example) with 2 home matches in play-offs. The RFU have accepted the fact that National 1 Clubs (and Championship/Prem 2 Clubs) need meaningful home matches for income generation.

There is an RFU Travel Fund to which Clubs can apply for long-distance journey costs. At National 2 trips to Guernsey are part-funded and can be added to through that Fund. 

If the RFU were to fund National 1 and 2 I would expect it to be through infrastructure investment - improved Clubhouse facilities, better stands and artificial pitches. Those improvements would make it easier to attract and retain players, recognising that there is already a group of players (still the minority) who seek to play for money and not for friendship.

One NL1 club told me it made no sense to travel long distance to play a club in front of a few hundred fans when a similar standard club was a short trip down the road and would draw four times the attendance. To them there was nothing practical in being called a National team, it pushed up costs without any any additional revenue.

I can't imagine they are the only ones who feel like that. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 16:21
If there are similar standard clubs nearby.
Which might be the case for the clubs around the M66, but there are a lot fewer down in Cornwall - though Redruth now have a local derby against Cambourne. Tynedale to Darlington is not a quick jaunt.

If the travel is uneconomic for a club, there is an easy way out, simply curb your recruitment, and you will be in a lower league soon enough

But how many people watched the Sheffield derby? Or the last Hull derby?

Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 16:21

Halliford with the greatest respect,"recognising that there is already a group of players (still the minority) who seek to play for money"

Id say the majority play for fees at Nat 1 and 2, being it match fees, win bonus, signing on fee or retainer or in some cases employment
Even you own club is throwing adverts out for players offering some if not all of the above.

Now thats no slight, but I wonder how much income you will lose if Nat 1 goes to 2 leagues and Nat 2 4.
I think and its my view the whole lot will be devalued

Yes, the majority play for fees but they don't seek to move for more money. None of our National 1 squad have left because we are playing National 2 next season and so paying lower fees. It's only a minority who play mainly for the money - that was my point.
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 17:06
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

If there are similar standard clubs nearby.
Which might be the case for the clubs around the M66, but there are a lot fewer down in Cornwall - though Redruth now have a local derby against Cambourne. Tynedale to Darlington is not a quick jaunt.

If the travel is uneconomic for a club, there is an easy way out, simply curb your recruitment, and you will be in a lower league soon enough

But how many people watched the Sheffield derby? Or the last Hull derby?

There will always be outliers due to the shape of England. Unfortunately, you won't devise a structure which pleases everyone so you have to work on a structure which pleases the majority. 

I don't know the answers to your question but I will say the Travel costs were lower for each and probably higher attendances than TyneDale v Luctonians. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 18:28
Tynedale  to Mowden could t be easier. A69 and A1M - 45 minutes on a Saturday. 
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 22:08
Well I would like to point out the drop from Nat 1 to Nat 2 E last season saw a drop in our home attendances of between 2-300 every home game. Yes we played more local derbys but the crowds were far lower (350 when we played TJs). Even in a bad season when we were relegated our average crowd was around 600 last season it was around 350. Luckily every time we played away our opposition had their biggest crowd/lunch and never played better so I suppose it was good when we visited. So more local derby don’t mean bigger crowds
So many Christians not enough Lions
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 22:37
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Well I would like to point out the drop from Nat 1 to Nat 2 E last season saw a drop in our home attendances of between 2-300 every home game. Yes we played more local derbys but the crowds were far lower (350 when we played TJs). Even in a bad season when we were relegated our average crowd was around 600 last season it was around 350. Luckily every time we played away our opposition had their biggest crowd/lunch and never played better so I suppose it was good when we visited. So more local derby don’t mean bigger crowds

But isn't the comparison in this case where your local derbies attendances higher or lower on average than the non local derbies? 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Toulouse View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toulouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 09:04
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

A 10 team Premiership with a 14 team Championship gives 24 clubs for a Prem/Champ Cup = 4 groups of 6 with semi-finals and finals.

All that is needed is some foresight and a decision
The RFU want a 10 team premiership, 10 team Championship and National 1....10 team south and 10 teams north. Another RFU Clusterf**k on the horizon!
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 09:28
Originally posted by Toulouse Toulouse wrote:

A 10 team Premiership with a 14 team Championship gives 24 clubs for a Prem/Champ Cup = 4 groups of 6 with semi-finals and finals.

The RFU want a 10 team premiership, 10 team Championship and National 1....10 team south and 10 teams north. Another RFU Clusterf**k on the horizon!

This isn't what I am hearing. 

Remember Wakefield RFC
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 09:35

Originally posted by Toulouse Toulouse wrote:

This isn't what I am hearing. 
I'm hearing so many things I've put my fingers in my ears (figuratively).
Still... what are you hearing?
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic