National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

So, 2023/24 fixtures?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 15:21
Ten teams for the Prem 2(read Championship) is not until 24/25 season is it not?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 15:34
Yes, I am already thinking of 22/23 as last season, so 23/24 is this season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 15:47
Halliford, in 2003/4 Cambridge were a London 2 North - level 6 club.
Sweeney Delenda Est
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 16:02
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

No championship club has seen the Premiership Cup fixtures, so we are all working from the same rumours and some basic knowledge of how a round-robin has to work.
As the Premiership Cup fixtures at pool stage are single legs rather than home and away it seems likely that all games between Premiership and Championship clubs will routinely be held at the home ground of the Premiership club which will be compliant with required standards. Premiership clubs may end up with 4 home fixtures and a single away game at another Premiership club whilst the opposite could be the case for Championship clubs. 

Edited by corporalcarrot - 25 May 2023 at 16:10
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 16:22

Halliford, in 2003/4 Cambridge were a London 2 North - level 6 club.
I think my son played a few games for them around that time when based at a nearby barracks.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 16:47
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

No championship club has seen the Premiership Cup fixtures, so we are all working from the same rumours and some basic knowledge of how a round-robin has to work.
As the Premiership Cup fixtures at pool stage are single legs rather than home and away it seems likely that all games between Premiership and Championship clubs will routinely be held at the home ground of the Premiership club which will be compliant with required standards. Premiership clubs may end up with 4 home fixtures and a single away game at another Premiership club whilst the opposite could be the case for Championship clubs. 

Don't believe that assumption is correct CC... & wouldn't expect the same minimum criteria to be in place for Prem/Champ Cup as for Prem league fixtures.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 09:36
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Don't believe that assumption is correct CC... & wouldn't expect the same minimum criteria to be in place for Prem/Champ Cup as for Prem league fixtures.

Premiership sides playing all games against Championship sides at home would be totally unfair:-

1) no or little income for the Championship teams
2) lots of expenses for the Championship teams

In the spirit of fair competition the Premiership sides should play all games against the championship sides - however this causes a conundrum whereby it would be OK for Premiership teams to play at non-compliant Championship grounds in the Cup but not in the league

Sort that out RFU
RAID ON
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 10:50
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Sort that out RFU

Has there been confirmation that the new Cup will have a mix of both Championship and Premiership clubs in the initial pools? 

Edited by FHLH - 26 May 2023 at 10:51
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:20
Yes that has been confirmed- there is a seeding of sorts that was mentioned- I cannot find the article but will look when more time is available 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Mark Smith View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:46
I'm not aware of any suggestion that all the cup games would all be played at Prem grounds.

My understanding is Champ clubs would also have 'home' games.

Edited by Mark Smith - 26 May 2023 at 14:28
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:48
Originally posted by Mark Smith Mark Smith wrote:

I'm not aware of any suggestion that all the cup games would allbe played at Prem grounds.

My understanding is Champ clubs would also have 'home' games.

Only a logical assumption as championship grounds do not conform to Premiership standards
RAID ON
Mark Smith View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:35
"Only a logical assumption as championship grounds do not conform to Premiership standards"

Prem Cup games have been played at out-grounds in previous seasons anyway - I believe Sarries have played a 'home' game at Bedford, for example.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 13:41
Classic off-season RM fayre... one poster lobs in a grenade, without evidence, such as 'no Champ teams will be at home to Prem oppo in Prem/Champ Cup'... & others line up to criticise that state of affairs, even tho' it's only speculation, and may well turn out to be wrong.

Given the various demonstrations of elasticity we have encountered from the game's governing bodies, having 2 sets of regulations/ minimum standards, 1 for the (top-flight) league and 1 for the (tiers 1/2) cup, doesn't seem especially implausible/outrageous...

Edited by islander - 26 May 2023 at 17:07
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 13:58
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Classic off-season RM fayre... one poster lobs in a grenade, without evidence, such as 'no Champ teams will be at home to Prem oppo in Prem/Champ Cup'... & others line up to criticise that state of affairs, even tho' it's only speculation, and may well turn out to be wrong.

Given the various demonstrations of elasticity we have encountered from the game's governing bodies, having 2 sets of regulations/ minimum standards, 1 for the (top-flight) league and 1 for the (tiers 1/2) cup, doesn't seem especially impausible/outrageous...
Well put mate. As I suspect I had some part in starting this particular hare running I accept the rebuke. You & Mark Smith are nearer the action & much better informed.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic