National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

So, 2023/24 fixtures?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So, 2023/24 fixtures?
    Posted: 17 May 2023 at 09:54
Any ideas when they're likely to be out.   Planning to do, you see.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:09
Well, as Wasps might be in there somewhere, and of course, London Irish are also now in the running, I am guessing the fixture list will not be released for sometime yet. I often wonder if my team, Ampthill, have ever regretted getting promotion to an under-funded league where the only place they can go is down.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Cov kid 42 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cov kid 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:11
Planning !!! I refer of course to the RFU, PRL etc.
Fixtures, we have no idea of the format for the Championship, so heaven only knows when fixtures might be out  Unhappy
John Butler
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 12:04
The RFU have at least set a deadline for LI and Wasps to find their elbow with both hands and a map.
What odds on them extending it?
Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 12:35
Originally posted by Cov kid 42 Cov kid 42 wrote:

Planning !!! I refer of course to the RFU, PRL etc.
Fixtures, we have no idea of the format for the Championship, so heaven only knows when fixtures might be out  Unhappy
Pretty sure the PRL will not have anything to do with the Championships fixture list, I think the Arrrrrgh F U make a mess of that all on their own.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 12:41
I believe the words used regarding London Irish is suspending - does that not mean to temporarily prevent from continuing. As such I do not see mention of "but we will slot you in to the Championship for a season"
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 13:15
Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

Any ideas when they're likely to be out.   Planning to do, you see.
This is for France d2 of course?

WinkLOL
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 14:05
The 'surely the fixtures will be out soon?' question is traditionally asked every year at around this time...

Experience suggests they won't be with us soon. Over the last 10 seasons they've been issued 6 times between 22-25 June. There was one early year (2017 - 9 June) and one late one (2016 - 8 July). The other 2 years were Covid-affected: no summer announcement at all in 2020, and a late one (21 July) the following year.

On top of the trend above, there are quite a few uncertainties at present, as others have mentioned. All we've had so far is dates for the Prem/Champ Cup - 5 weekends starting 2nd w/e of Sept - and an indication the league will start on w/e of 21 Oct.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 16:00
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

Well, as Wasps might be in there somewhere, and of course, London Irish are also now in the running, I am guessing the fixture list will not be released for sometime yet. I often wonder if my team, Ampthill, have ever regretted getting promotion to an under-funded league where the only place they can go is down.

Regrets? When you have played your town cousins Blues in competition?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 16:33
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

True. That is a positive. A packed Goldington Road. Oodles of atmosphere. Yet Sky, or anyone else, cannot sell it. Meanwhile, on their cricket channel, they will happily show every single ball bowled in a five day test match between West Indies and Sri Lanka, where there are more players on the pitch than there are in the crowd. I have heard that NASA want to hire some of these cricket grounds to train their astronauts. Seemingly it is perfect due to their lack of atmosphere……
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 16:38

Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

True. That is a positive. A packed Goldington Road. Oodles of atmosphere. Yet Sky, or anyone else, cannot sell it. Meanwhile, on their cricket channel, they will happily show every single ball bowled in a five day test match between West Indies and Sri Lanka, where there are more players on the pitch than there are in the crowd. I have heard that NASA want to hire some of these cricket grounds to train their astronauts. Seemingly it is perfect due to their lack of atmosphere……

LOL LOL LOL
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 16:43

I think it's more that globally more people want to bet on West Indies v Sri Lanka than do on Bedford v Ampthill. On that basis it's got nothing to do with how many spectators are in the ground - the Sky Cricket channel will make its money from syndicating the broadcast.
keep the faith
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 21:50
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

I think it's more that globally more people want to bet on West Indies v Sri Lanka than do on Bedford v Ampthill. On that basis it's got nothing to do with how many spectators are in the ground - the Sky Cricket channel will make its money from syndicating the broadcast.

Think the clue is in the name - CRICKET channel - I would suspect the rights are not very high.

However, considering they have no domestic RU rights I would have thought the Championship ought to be able to sort out a deal. With Sky - any extra income would be good.

Oh sorry, forgot the RFU control the rights and pocket any income.
RAID ON
Happy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 17:17
So wasps to the bottom of the pyramid......that should make things interesting 
Ealing Exile View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ealing Exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 17:28
So Richmond stay up?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 17:33
We do not know, though we believe that the Prem cup needs 24 teams.
Which would imply they do.

In which case Esher should stay up - and so on.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 17:47
Shouldn't Rams go up and Richmond go down? Smile
Enjoying life!
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 17:53
Or they re-vamp the prem cup thing and make it for 20 teams instead which, with London Irish int he precarious position they're in, might come to fruition.

Crikey.  11 in the Champ and 9 in the Prem...
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 18:37
Originally posted by Jester10 Jester10 wrote:

or alternately the RFU could give a Championship place to a different club with no ground and no players that is currently a figment in Laurence Dallaglio's imagination.
Exiled_Scots View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exiled_Scots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 18:55
Originally posted by Jester10 Jester10 wrote:

Totally -  a team that wins 22 league games and losses out on point difference for promotion. RFU must promote a proper rugby club. Wink
Watch Out - The Scottish Phoenix Club is on the Up!!

Seven down one to go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic