National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Wasps Statement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:47
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

24/25 season there will be two leagues of ten teams, it just might come a season early for Prem 1.
I wonder if the TV & betting companies will be willing to pay as much as they did in the past to cover a smaller number of teams. The pot of money will be shared amongst fewer clubs but may not be as much in total.

I suspect we'd be looking at a lower deal anyway, even if the number of clubs remained the same - I think rugby has hit the high water mark on TV deals and the only way is down.
keep the faith
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:03

24/25 season there will be two leagues of ten teams, it just might come a season early for Prem 1.
I wonder if the TV & betting companies will be willing to pay as much as they did in the past to cover a smaller number of teams. The pot of money will be shared amongst fewer clubs but may not be as much in total.

BT pay a set amount to show x amount of games per season - as long as there are enough games each week I cannot see any justification today less - I believe this money is paid to the RFU who distribute a set amount to each team so obviously more money left for the RFU.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:05
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

I suspect we'd be looking at a lower deal anyway, even if the number of clubs remained the same - I think rugby has hit the high water mark on TV deals and the only way is down.

As BT Sports have been taken over anything could happen when next negotiation takes place - but I suspect you may be correct
RAID ON
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:08
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

BT pay a set amount to show x amount of games per season - as long as there are enough games each week I cannot see any justification today less .

Yes but the TV deal's up soon and (as RL just found out when renegotiating theirs for a lower amount) you can only sell for what someone will pay. Given the RFU/PRL/CVC need for a TV deal for level 1, they will have to take what they can get - which may well be less than they currently get even if everything else stays the same.
keep the faith
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:14
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Anyway, yes, in a new move all premiership clubs had to present their plans and their financial guarantees* for the forthcoming season back in April. 

Everyone else has.

Determined to try not to lose another club, Irish have already been given extra time to comply - that's what's running out now. 

*in terms of being able to show funds in place for completion of the forthcoming season - to avoid anyone going under once it has started. 

An impressive start and yes, it was tongue in cheek but I'm glad to see the RFU take a more robust approach 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 13:45
From BBC correspondent on Twitter:

Chris Jones BBC
@chjones9
·
8m
Understand London Irish have been given a week's extension by the RFU to get the takeover done. This will be the last chance and is dependent on current ownership meeting Wednesday's payroll.

Edited by islander - 30 May 2023 at 13:47
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 13:49
I've just been out for a lunchtime stroll and walked through Hazelwood.  There are a couple of RFU-badged cars in the car park.  A pair of fans were hanging banners to the gates and planting flags outside.  They told me that one of the players had just come out and told them 'I know as much as you do.'
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 13:54
[QUOTE=islander]There are a couple of slight inaccuracies in reporting to clear up.

Richmond and LS didn't go right to the bottom of the pyramid, they were both re-inserted at level 9 in 2000/01; I believe there was a bit of pragmatism utilised in not sending them right to the bottom - level 12 I believe at the time - because of the risk of mis-matches. 

Correct The Richmond team was basically our under 21s and originally it was to the very bottom but the refs body intervened saying as above so we were put in Herts and Middlesex 1  
Abbotsman View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 19:53
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Corporalcarrot makes a very good point. I’d like to hear from Community Clubs in the south west about the carnage when Gloucester’s development team (aka Hartpury) made their way up the leagues. 

What carnage? Hartpury have been a platform for many players who have gone on to play at premier & international level. What's wrong with that?
Money is the evil of this mess with mis-management at club & structure level.

I've said before the National League is the best league rugby to watch. Why any club wants to go up into the Championship is beyond me.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 20:16
You missed the point. Hartpury were made to start in Gloucester 3 in 2004 and then moved up the leagues hardly losing a game and giving out lots of hammerings.
Decent local clubs knew before a ball was kicked who would win the league. 
They would not want a Wasp, Worcester or Irish side ruining a season in the same way I’m sure.
That is the carnage to which I refer.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 22:29
I suspect Hartpury started from a better position than either Wasps or Worcester will. H had Uni players of good quality to draw upon while the two Ws currently can’t even satisfy the RFU by paying rugby creditors. Will Wasps start in the Midlands or will they revert to North London? As a Level 10 player I’d quite fancy a run-out on the Worcester pitch. I think the 2 Ws will not find it easy to put together playing squads that will be as dominant as H were.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 22:56
The reason why they can’t satisfy rugby creditors is because there is no law in the land that gives rugby creditors anymore preferential preference to non-rugby ones, they will be unsecured creditors. So if rugby ones are paid in full, the non-rugby ones need paying. They are also further down the order list.

Edited by The Blues - 31 May 2023 at 22:57
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 09:26
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

I suspect Hartpury started from a better position than either Wasps or Worcester will. H had Uni players of good quality to draw upon while the two Ws currently can’t even satisfy the RFU by paying rugby creditors. Will Wasps start in the Midlands or will they revert to North London? As a Level 10 player I’d quite fancy a run-out on the Worcester pitch. I think the 2 Ws will not find it easy to put together playing squads that will be as dominant as H were.

I'm guessing if they want to continue the legacy, they have to follow the RFU ruling they had to stay in the Midlands? The only way they could wriggle out of it would be if they had maintained membership of the Middlesex RFU just in case. Or they just pack the ex-pro team in completely and focus their attention on Wasps FC. 
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 10:11
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Or they just pack the ex-pro team in completely and focus their attention on Wasps FC. 

Which, as has been discussed on here before, isn't really up to them. There are basically no links other than sentiment in the minds of some of the older supporters of the former between Wasps Rugby and Wasps FC.

keep the faith
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 10:50
Any guesses on what happens to the Wasps player pathway now?

Here in sunny North Bucks our lads are technically part of that but in reality they would go to Ampthill, Bedford or Saints depending.

Edited by Paul10 - 01 Jun 2023 at 10:51
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 11:07
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

You missed the point. Hartpury were made to start in Gloucester 3 in 2004 and then moved up the leagues hardly losing a game and giving out lots of hammerings.
Decent local clubs knew before a ball was kicked who would win the league. 
They would not want a Wasp, Worcester or Irish side ruining a season in the same way I’m sure.
That is the carnage to which I refer.
Good summary mate. The "send them to the bottom of the pyramid" calls ignore completely that the space down there is already occupied by essentially social teams who have no interest in participating in "Christians v lions" mismatches. If Wuss, Wasps or London Irish are demoted common sense would suggest inserting them about half way up the pyramid and filling the gaps higher up by promoting other teams who just missed out.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 11:21
Worcester wanted to shortcut that buy taking on the Stoubridge 1st XV, which Stourbridge seemed happy to get rid of.

I got the impression that with or without the RFU acknowledging it, Stourbridge would be fielding the Lions side as their fist XV, next season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
knightandday View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Doncaster Knights

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightandday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 13:08

Good summary mate. The "send them to the bottom of the pyramid" calls ignore completely that the space down there is already occupied by essentially social teams who have no interest in participating in "Christians v lions" mismatches. If Wuss, Wasps or London Irish are demoted common sense would suggest inserting them about half way up the pyramid and filling the gaps higher up by promoting other teams who just missed out.

I still fundamentally disagree with put them in the middle approach just because of who they were. We don’t even know if they can raise a team. 

If you place them in the middle of the pyramid they may be able to attract better players than those who may have played if they had started at the bottom. Is that fair on the teams you are enforcing them to play?

In the end there is no ‘common sense’ way to do this, somebody will be put out whatever you do. They have to prove that they can viably get a team out yet. 
Winning isn't everything, it just makes the beer taste better
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 13:16
I can't speak for all of them, but most of the teams we played in our rise from L9-L6 thoroughly enjoyed their day at ODP playing in front of 500-1000 fans, regardless of the result.  And they also had sell-out pre-match lunches and 200 away fans visiting their clubhouse, so the Treasurer was invariably a happy man person, too.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 13:20
Camquin
Not according to the latest post on Stourbridge site - seems clear that they will have two teams in the league structure next season, 1sts at Level 5, 2nds (Lions) further down the pyramid - Level 9 I think
Not sure if that means the "Atlas" takeover/merger is still alive and kicking? 

Edited by Thatbloke - 01 Jun 2023 at 13:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic