National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Wasps Statement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wasps Statement
    Posted: 19 May 2023 at 00:50
You have to laugh at the comment about the huge funding difference making it hard in a play off match without the money! Incredible how when clubs are in the Premiership they don’t see an issue but when they are they see the massive unfairness.

Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 07:06
Hypocrisy, thy name is Wasps. Though, I note they title their statement "Our exit from the Rugby Football Union" so are they completely leaving or did they mean to say Premiership/Championship? If its the former, I think it makes it clear that it appears they are going to do a London Welsh and take over Wasps FC as the main club to avoid starting at the bottom.

Edited by Robb - 19 May 2023 at 07:08
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 07:30
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

If its the former, I think it makes it clear that it appears they are going to do a London Welsh and take over Wasps FC as the main club to avoid starting at the bottom.

And have they asked Wasps FC? I know some people think what LW did was heinous and not in the spirit of taking their punishment but it's a completely different situation.

Aside from the legal separation, LW was always an 'all of one club' operation - where the weekly email to supporters covered the doings of the Occies, Dragons, Druids, M&Js just as much as the 1st XV. Until the three year Oxford 'adventure' they were all playing out of the same clubhouse and on the same pitch. Even during the sojourn in Oxford it was pretty much the same faces at all the matches of all the sides, and on the committees in the clubhouse.

So, when LW 1st XV imploded they did go 'home' to lick their wounds and tbh it made complete sense for the operation to just make the amateurs the first XV and go again - there was no real sense of them being separate clubs anyway, except legally - and that legal separation in hindsight was a great move.

Wasps, on the other hand, have really nothing AIUI more than the most vestigial links with the amateur set-up and those are links of sentiment, rather than because there's any training or anything like that going on at Twyford Avenue. So it really would be a cynical takeover of another club, and more importantly a takeover that said club would have to be on board with, as they're perfectly entitled to say no. FWIW the general temperature from Wasps supporting friends is that Wasps FC are quite happy as they are and wouldn't go for it (see also Worcester FC).

LW on the other hand were a real genuine family of clubs - not clubs that happened to share a name and somehow both claim the same history.

Edited by billesleyexile - 19 May 2023 at 07:33
keep the faith
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 07:45
Beautifully put, BE!
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 08:40
The bit about equitable funding and the horrors of ring fencing is priceless!
*Stalwart
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 08:48
Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

The bit about equitable funding and the horrors of ring fencing is priceless!

isn't it just?
keep the faith
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 08:56
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

Beautifully put, BE!

I could have boiled it down to:

LW = 'bad luck boys, welcome back to ODP, been a shame waving you off to matches every week for the last three years, and it was always a bit silly, but you're us and we're you - we're all back where we belong and we'll work something out'

Wasps = 'oh, we've gone bust, where's the telephone?- hello, Wasps FC? Thirty years ago we used to be you, so we want your league place, thanks in advance'

Edited by billesleyexile - 19 May 2023 at 08:57
keep the faith
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:18
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

If its the former, I think it makes it clear that it appears they are going to do a London Welsh and take over Wasps FC as the main club to avoid starting at the bottom.

And have they asked Wasps FC? I know some people think what LW did was heinous and not in the spirit of taking their punishment but it's a completely different situation.

Aside from the legal separation, LW was always an 'all of one club' operation - where the weekly email to supporters covered the doings of the Occies, Dragons, Druids, M&Js just as much as the 1st XV. Until the three year Oxford 'adventure' they were all playing out of the same clubhouse and on the same pitch. Even during the sojourn in Oxford it was pretty much the same faces at all the matches of all the sides, and on the committees in the clubhouse.

So, when LW 1st XV imploded they did go 'home' to lick their wounds and tbh it made complete sense for the operation to just make the amateurs the first XV and go again - there was no real sense of them being separate clubs anyway, except legally - and that legal separation in hindsight was a great move.

Wasps, on the other hand, have really nothing AIUI more than the most vestigial links with the amateur set-up and those are links of sentiment, rather than because there's any training or anything like that going on at Twyford Avenue. So it really would be a cynical takeover of another club, and more importantly a takeover that said club would have to be on board with, as they're perfectly entitled to say no. FWIW the general temperature from Wasps supporting friends is that Wasps FC are quite happy as they are and wouldn't go for it (see also Worcester FC).

LW on the other hand were a real genuine family of clubs - not clubs that happened to share a name and somehow both claim the same history.
Great summary mate. The only critical point missing imo is that LW only went to Oxford to comply with the RFU's daft ground standards which no one wants and no one can afford. LW would probably have struggled in the premiership anyway but the move to Oxford was the likely major cause of the financial mess. LW could have had a season in the premiership and rejoined level two the following year. The core issue keeps coming back to the RFU's adherence to standards which have nowt to do with safety but everything to do with ring fencing the premiership. 

Edited by corporalcarrot - 19 May 2023 at 10:18
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:22

Beautifully put, BE!

I know whereof I speak - huge soft spot for LW. 

Grew up a Moseley fan, moved away, drifted away from rugby. LW pitching up in Oxford got me back into watching rugby regularly again, and helped me find my way back to Moseley where I belong. 

I think I've said before on here that I'd never been to Mose since the Reddings, and then went to Mose away with LW, in the Championship season between the two premiership ones, and I walked into the clubhouse on the Common, saw the pictures on the walls, the Internationals board, the cartoon of Sam Doble in his record breaking points year, and a thought hit me like a Proustian train - 

'Oh god, I'm supporting the wrong side.' 

Prodigal son stuff.

So I received those LW weekly emails for three years!
keep the faith
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:25

Beautifully put, BE!

LW = 'bad luck boys, welcome back to ODP, been a shame waving you off to matches every week for the last three years, and it was always a bit silly, but you're us and we're you - we're all back where we belong and we'll work something out'

Wasps = 'oh, we've gone bust, where's the telephone?- hello, Wasps FC? Thirty years ago we used to be you, so we want your league place, thanks in advance'

Not sure Wasps will be able to skip a few levels by taking over Wasps FC (assuming they are different clubs) as Worcester were told they couldn't takeover Stourbridge.

But then it is Wasps so anything might happen
RAID ON
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 12:01
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Beautifully put, BE!

Not sure Wasps will be able to skip a few levels by taking over Wasps FC (assuming they are different clubs) as Worcester were told they couldn't takeover Stourbridge.

You don't have to formally take them over, just pump money into them to buy better players etc. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 12:15
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Beautifully put, BE!

It won't even have to be be a formal takeover like Stourbridge/Worcester. Indeed all the London Welsh currently in Regional 1 South Central did was request they be allowed to play under the London Welsh name rather than London Welsh Amateur. Wasps FC don't even have to do that (unless they want to have their wasp the wrong way round!)
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 14:42
That statement makes it so sad to see the back of Wasps doesn't it?

FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 14:59
No, sorry, it's the way of the world. It just happens to be a Premiership club.

So many clubs have gone to the wall and the RFU seem to have given Wasps some time to get their house in order. If they'd been sent to Level 10 immediately, then alternative proposals across the Leven 3-10 leagues could have been made for a 12 team Championship.

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 15:20

It won't even have to be be a formal takeover like Stourbridge/Worcester. Indeed all the London Welsh currently in Regional 1 South Central did was request they be allowed to play under the London Welsh name rather than London Welsh Amateur. Wasps FC don't even have to do that (unless they want to have their wasp the wrong way round!)
I don't know why you've got such an issue with what happened at London Welsh.  The Amateurs were already playing at L9, and they were very much a part of the club, the same at the Women, Occies, M&J - we truly are one big happy family.  So when the pro team went out of existence, the Amateurs became the most senior team within the club, and effectively inherited the mantle of '1st XV'.  That meant we rebuilt from L9 - one level higher than the bottom of the pyramid.  The way you bang on about it, you'd think we'd taken over a L5 team and moved them into ODP just to save ourselves five years of travelling around public parks with dog mess for goalposts.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 15:45
Probably because when Richmond and London Scottish were in the top division, their amateur teams were restricted to merit leagues. So, even though their amateurs possibly were at a higher standard, they restarted at level 10.

I only went to ODP once, and the facilities were fine. Yes the main clubhouse is a way away from the pitch, I assume due to the cricket square, but there were food and drink outlets, and toilets by the main stand. The welcome on the pitch was not that friendly - it was a no quarter asked or given cup tie -  but off the pitch it was fine.
Sweeney Delenda Est
ParkBench View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ParkBench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 16:43

I don't know why you've got such an issue with what happened at London Welsh.  The Amateurs were already playing at L9, and they were very much a part of the club, the same at the Women, Occies, M&J - we truly are one big happy family.  So when the pro team went out of existence, the Amateurs became the most senior team within the club, and effectively inherited the mantle of '1st XV'.  That meant we rebuilt from L9 - one level higher than the bottom of the pyramid.  The way you bang on about it, you'd think we'd taken over a L5 team and moved them into ODP just to save ourselves five years of travelling around public parks with dog mess for goalposts.

Speaking as an outsider - LW has always come across as one club. Other clubs spout that as a mantra all the time but don’t mean it. Their renaissance has been exemplary.

On the subject of ODP I’d like to string up the Park committee that thought it best to leave there in 1956 to leasing a single pitch from a golf club. If nothing else it shows that terrible decisions are nothing new in rugby club governance. 

Edited by ParkBench - 19 May 2023 at 16:45
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 17:47

It's not an issue with them at all, its just the example I use of what can happen when a pro side goes bust and their amateur arm (that for RFU purposes is a legally separate club) is already playing at a reasonable standard so they avoid starting at the bottom.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 18:56
Originally posted by ParkBench ParkBench wrote:

On the subject of ODP I’d like to string up the Park committee that thought it best to leave there in 1956 to leasing a single pitch from a golf club. If nothing else it shows that terrible decisions are nothing new in rugby club governance. 

The merry go round of London club grounds. Roehampton (I always think Tennis, rather than Golf) was described as the "finest ground in London" when you moved, so you were up scaling, where as London Welsh were expanding from one pitch at Herne Hill to two at ODP.

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 19:11

I still try to get to ODP when Jersey are playing at the RAG - its a great RUGBY CLUB imo. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic