National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Challenge Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 12:12
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Just saw a statement feom Jersey that they have not applied to the Challenge Cup, which is at odds with previous reports. I am sure someone on here could comment.

I think Mark Morgan says it all as far as Jersey is concerned:

‘Jersey Reds have not applied.‘The cost of travel would be prohibitive unless there was significant funding attached to participation.‘There are also minimum ground standards to be met which we would not meet at this time.’Morgan added that any participation in European rugby could also have an impact on the 2023/24 Championship league season.‘There are three issues here,’ he said. ‘One is the money, two is the minimum ground standards and the third is how does it fit within our own fixture list?‘It is all very well us saying “we’ll play” but we are already committed to the Championship for next season and the Championship is not built around the European schedule.‘It would be romantic [for the Reds to play in Europe] but it is not practical.’

Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 12:15
I think the same would apply to the D2 sides, as they have a 16 team league.

So they will either need a smaller competition, or more sides from the second tier countries - who would need help with travel.
Sweeney Delenda Est
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 13:48
The minimum ground size is an obvious issue in Jersey's case and its worth setting out a few relevant figures:
  • The resident population of Jersey is a bit over 100,000.
  • The local support for rugby in Jersey is probably above average but despite winning the Championship last season they only managed to record a crowd of above 2K a couple of times.
  • The practical method of getting to Jersey for visitors is by sea and air and the annual arrivals by these two options was about 800K or just over 2K each day.
  • There are about 7K tourist beds in Jersey but at peak times they are often well used by the tourism & finance industries.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 15:56
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Just saw a statement feom Jersey that they have not applied to the Challenge Cup, which is at odds with previous reports. I am sure someone on here could comment.

So, clarification from Jersey about not having applied to take part in this comp. Have the other clubs mentioned in the original report clarified their positions?
SK 88 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SK 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 16:13
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Bedford Bear Bedford Bear wrote:

Personally I'd love to see any of the three Championship teams play in Johannesburg at the Ellis Park Stadium v the Lions with a capacity 62,567 crowd. Where the funding for airfares and hotels come from is a mystery to me with some Premiership teams complaining this year of the costs involved Thumbs Up

With a party of 50 players and support staff it's about £1,000 per head return assuming flights £650 (economy, but with a 11 hour flight and larger bodies will be more, premium economy £1,300, Business £1,900 First £4,500), hotels £350 (depending on occupancy - assumed double).

With ≥ £50,000 at risk, I wonder what % of gate is payable to the away team?

50% occupancy of Ellis Park would yield c. £1.0m (Argentina tickets £10-£50) so why are Premiership clubs moaning? More than 50 going, all in First Class? Even then it would be hard to not break even!

Nil.

You don't share gates in the European Cup, you earn your money in the home leg.  That's why clubs don't like it, they'd get the same for an Italian team and the travelling for the return leg be a fraction of the cost.

The SA teams also sell their tickets for £2 (about R80) and get about 15,000 attendances.  So everything in that post is just way off.
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 16:59
A very optimistic expectation of gate money for travelling teams to Johannersburg. This season Ellis Park ticket prices ranged from £10.50 to £100 (full hospitality package). The average season attendance was 6,321 for the URC and Challenge Cup. The games I've watched, the stadium has been 80% empty against top opposition. I doubt 50% of the gate money would be anywhere close to the £1 million quoted FHLM
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 00:51

A very optimistic expectation of gate money for travelling teams to Johannersburg

OK I'll start again....... wow, who'd want to be in the Challenge Cup?

I'll take this as a learning experience Smile

Edited by FHLH - 26 May 2023 at 00:52
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 04:59
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

My initial thought when I read this was ‘rugby league’?! LOL

Which sounds more realistic an ambition in some respects. 😂
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 13:51
No problem, just a reflection of the season in SA - FHLM

Edited by Bedford Bear - 27 May 2023 at 13:52
BlueButHappyReturns View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueButHappyReturns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 21:00
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Personally I'd love to see any of the three Championship teams play in Johannesburg at the Ellis Park Stadium v the Lions with a capacity 62,567 crowd. Where the funding for airfares and hotels come from is a mystery to me with some Premiership teams complaining this year of the costs involved Thumbs Up

The Saffas would have a huge culture shock in the return leg!

To be fair though, many Championship sides have a reasonably sized culture shock when we have to go to Coventry or Ealing (Jersey is more like a weekend break to somewhere with foreign street names). 
Only dead fish go with the flow..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic