National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Challenge Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Challenge Cup
    Posted: 22 May 2023 at 22:10
Apparently, Ealing, Jersey, and Cov have applied to play in the challenge cup.

Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 22:13
Watch the protectionists close ranks again
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 22:36
It'll never fly.
Would be nice though.
Our City,
Our Club
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 08:25
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Apparently, Ealing, Jersey, and Cov have applied to play in the challenge cup.

Key word that, "apparently".  Be interesting if true though.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 08:50
Applying is one thing, Europe might decide to bringing three teams in from the minor nations to help develop rugby there.

What am I saying, they will take whichever teams generate most money this season.
Sweeney Delenda Est
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:00
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Applying is one thing, Europe might decide to bringing three teams in from the minor nations to help develop rugby there.

What am I saying, they will take whichever teams generate most money this season.

I would also assume that the Pro D2 teams might cry foul. They are probably, in general, higher standard than the Championship clubs.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:40
My initial thought when I read this was ‘rugby league’?! LOL
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:52
Gerg_861
They might, but with a 16 team league, so 30 matches plus play-offs, I am not sure that they could take on the extra games.

Whereas, the Championship sides look to have 27 games. Which is not to say that fitting in at least four extra matches for three teams would be easy, as it disrupts the season for everyone else.

But it would really make the Premiership look silly if their grounds are good enough for the Championship, for the Premiership Cup, and especially for Europe, but not for the Premiership.

Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 15:33
Cue Lawrence Dallaglio wittering on about how Wasps are too big a club not to be in the Challenge Cup.
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 15:45
Personally I'd love to see any of the three Championship teams play in Johannesburg at the Ellis Park Stadium v the Lions with a capacity 62,567 crowd. Where the funding for airfares and hotels come from is a mystery to me with some Premiership teams complaining this year of the costs involved Thumbs Up

Edited by Bedford Bear - 23 May 2023 at 15:50
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 15:57
Originally posted by Bedford Bear Bedford Bear wrote:

Personally I'd love to see any of the three Championship teams play in Johannesburg at the Ellis Park Stadium v the Lions with a capacity 62,567 crowd. Where the funding for airfares and hotels come from is a mystery to me with some Premiership teams complaining this year of the costs involved Thumbs Up

With a party of 50 players and support staff it's about £1,000 per head return assuming flights £650 (economy, but with a 11 hour flight and larger bodies will be more, premium economy £1,300, Business £1,900 First £4,500), hotels £350 (depending on occupancy - assumed double).

With ≥ £50,000 at risk, I wonder what % of gate is payable to the away team?

50% occupancy of Ellis Park would yield c. £1.0m (Argentina tickets £10-£50) so why are Premiership clubs moaning? More than 50 going, all in First Class? Even then it would be hard to not break even!

Edited by FHLH - 23 May 2023 at 16:17
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 16:13

The Saffas would have a huge culture shock in the return leg!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 16:54
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

The Saffas would have a huge culture shock in the return leg!
If only someone knew a good travel agency....
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 17:45
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

If only someone knew a good travel agency....

That made me laugh.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 17:48
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

With a party of 50 players and support staff it's about £1,000 per head return assuming flights £650 (economy, but with a 11 hour flight and larger bodies will be more, premium economy £1,300, Business £1,900 First £4,500), hotels £350 (depending on occupancy - assumed double).

With ≥ £50,000 at risk, I wonder what % of gate is payable to the away team?

50% occupancy of Ellis Park would yield c. £1.0m (Argentina tickets £10-£50) so why are Premiership clubs moaning? More than 50 going, all in First Class? Even then it would be hard to not break even!

First you say you wonder what %age of gate the away side take, then you base you predictions on 50%.

I seriously doubt the away side would get that.
RAID ON
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 17:51
Imagine if Caldy could somehow reach those dizzy heights.......playing at the Paton Field Stadium would be the biggest culture shock of all
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 17:54
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Imagine if Caldy could somehow reach those dizzy heights.......playing at the Paton Field Stadium would be the biggest culture shock of all

Or Ampthill?
RAID ON
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 19:48
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

First you say you wonder what %age of gate the away side take, then you base you predictions on 50%.

I seriously doubt the away side would get that.

The 50% is the anticipated paid occupancy at the game - about 30,000 in a 62,000 seater stadium for this level of rugby. In SA that may be a conservative estimate
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:38
I gather from Twitter there is a meeting between the Champ clubs and the RFU today. Any Intel on the agenda?
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:46
Just saw a statement feom Jersey that they have not applied to the Challenge Cup, which is at odds with previous reports. I am sure someone on here could comment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic