National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Open letter to Kathyrn Williamson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 10:27
The problem is that any decisions on the future of the Premiership and Championship will have an effect on all the leagues below so it is important that these decisions are made as quickly as possible by the RFU. ( I know using the verb Quick and RFU in the same sentence is perhaps optimistic!!) If it is decided to go to two Premier leagues of 10 then that will effect Level 3, with 3 relegated and no promotion to Championship alternatively if promotion to championship is continued then it will mean 4 relegated!! Again If the RFU decide to split level 3 into North and South (to reduce travel costs, logical but again Logic and RFU rarely go together . This will have an effect on Level 4 and all leagues below. I would also expect that the RFU will try to push  cup competitions onto level 3 and 4 after the success of the Pappa Johns cup success !!  
I have always thought that if you decide to alter the league structure, the best place to start is from the top. In the last 10 years we have had several changes, each one being declared by the RFU that this would be the last one for a long time! Yet here we are again not knowing what is happening to the next season which is now 8 weeks away, Clubs cannot organise their diaries and get sponsors for home games or take booking for their clubhouse when they have away games. Do the RFU not know that off field income is the route to survival for most clubs.  
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:58
My understanding is that some sort of consultation is/has taken place, I think clubs may know something but as of yet nothing from the RFU, now this may be linked to the London Irish situation?
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 22:50
Dont criticise the RFU for being slow. I hear that trying to get the Championship Club to agree is the biggest problem.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 23:10
The Championship has struggled for an identity.

The National 1 sides are all semi-pro, some with more budget than others.

But the Championship goes from there - almost all the support you get from central funds goes on extra medical and insurance costs - to fully professional, so is probably the most diverse league in the entire pyramid.

SO I do not wonder that the clubs do not ave a single view of the world.
Sweeney Delenda Est
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 23:35
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Dont criticise the RFU for being slow. I hear that trying to get the Championship Club to agree is the biggest problem.
Don't criticize the RFU? Wrong forum. 😉
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 12:02
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

But the RFU are supposed to be in charge. They should set a date by which agreement has to be reached and if it isn't then they should make the decision for them.

Continually sitting on the fence and waiting for something to happen isn't management.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 13:35
I still believe in the way they decide on a New Pope , lock them in a room until a final decision is made, preferably one with no toilet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic