National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Open letter to Kathyrn Williamson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open letter to Kathyrn Williamson
    Posted: 26 May 2023 at 08:11
Dear Kathyrn Williamson

I follow and sometimes contribute to this rugby forum that discusses all things to do with the Championship rugby clubs. For some time now most of the discussions are about conjecture and sometimes downright fantasy. This is due entirely to the lack of information coming from the RFU. Indeed, the general opinion of how the RFU runs today’s game is less than complimentary. I am therefore writing to you, in your role of the Executive Director of Communications at the RFU, to make some suggestions on how you can improve the image of your employer.

At the end of this month The Premiership will be announcing a decision about the future of London Irish. Can I therefore suggest that during the first week of June, preferably before the end of next week, you release a statement about the following:

1 A full list of the clubs taking part in The Championship next season.
2 A date when the full fixture list will be published.
3 A date when the full draw for the new cup competition will be announced.
4 A clear explanation about promotion and relegation.
5 What funding will be available from the RFU to each Championship side next season.
6 A date when you are likely to announce the changes planned for the 2024/25 season.

Some of the answers to the above have been announced but the situation regarding the future of this wonderful game has become muddy and demands a snappy, concise, and informative response from its administrator.

I invite other members of this forum to add any additional comments they may have, and I also invite you to respond direct if you so wish. After all, good communications are a good thing, don’t you think?
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 08:16
Good luck.
Our City,
Our Club
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 08:29
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

Dear Kathyrn Williamson

I follow and sometimes contribute to this rugby forum that discusses all things to do with the Championship rugby clubs. For some time now most of the discussions are about conjecture and sometimes downright fantasy. This is due entirely to the lack of information coming from the RFU. Indeed, the general opinion of how the RFU runs today’s game is less than complimentary. I am therefore writing to you, in your role of the Executive Director of Communications at the RFU, to make some suggestions on how you can improve the image of your employer.

At the end of this month The Premiership will be announcing a decision about the future of London Irish. Can I therefore suggest that during the first week of June, preferably before the end of next week, you release a statement about the following:

1 A full list of the clubs taking part in The Championship next season.
2 A date when the full fixture list will be published.
3 A date when the full draw for the new cup competition will be announced.
4 A clear explanation about promotion and relegation to and from the Championship at both ends.
5 What funding will be available from the RFU to each Championship side next season.
6 A date when you are likely to announce the changes planned for the 2024/25 season.

Some of the answers to the above have been announced but the situation regarding the future of this wonderful game has become muddy and demands a snappy, concise, and informative response from its administrator.

I invite other members of this forum to add any additional comments they may have, and I also invite you to respond direct if you so wish. After all, good communications are a good thing, don’t you think?

I don't think 1 will be possible - won't we have the same performance as we've had with Worcester and Wasps, where it's clear they're not at level 1, but not clear immediately that they won't be at level 2? I mean officially...

4 I think I would add the bit in bold, simply because there seems to be a growing head of steam that somehow ringfencing the top two leagues is any better than ringfencing just the top one... To be honest, given we're about to go into 23/24, I'm not sure you can decouple 4 and 6? Otherwise National 1 won't know what they're competing for.

Edited by billesleyexile - 26 May 2023 at 08:30
keep the faith
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 08:42
Thank you, Kimbo, for your good wishes, and to billesleyexile for your suggestions.

I would like to add two additional suggestions:

7 What is actively happening about gaining sponsorship for The Championship?
8 What is actively happening about getting a TV deal for The Championship?
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 09:18
More chance of plaiting fog, but very reasonable and sensible, good luck.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 14:39

Thank you, Kimbo, for your good wishes, and to billesleyexile for your suggestions.

I would like to add two additional suggestions:

7 What is actively happening about gaining sponsorship for The Championship?
8 What is actively happening about getting a TV deal for The Championship?
It was more tongue-in-cheek at the time tbf, but it would be nice to see some positive reaction, so... good luck Wink
Our City,
Our Club
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 15:12
Kathryn Williamson was my grandmother. Long gone now but I suspect you would still have more success writing to her.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 15:14
Why do you think the Director of Communications is responsible for policy? Don’t shoot the messenger. 
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 15:29
Communication from the RFU is poor. Kathryn is the Executive Director of Communications. I am not shooting the messenger. I am asking the messenger to do her job.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 16:48
Cherub,

I applaud your initiative and I wish you well in your endeavour. More years ago than I care to remember I wrote an open letter on this forum to the President of the RFU and sent the same letter by first class post.

I received a 4 page response from the then President. I think it very appropriate for you to take the action you have and I do suggest you send a hard copy letter or an email as well.

Kind Regards

Big Eddie

Edited by Big Eddie - 26 May 2023 at 16:49
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 16:54

Communication from the RFU is poor. Kathryn is the Executive Director of Communications. I am not shooting the messenger. I am asking the messenger to do her job.
And if Mr Sweeney tells her when and what she should put out she should ignore him? 

Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 17:10
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Cherub,

I applaud your initiative and I wish you well in your endeavour. More years ago than I care to remember I wrote an open letter on this forum to the President of the RFU and sent the same letter by first class post.

I received a 4 page response from the then President. I think it very appropriate for you to take the action you have and I do suggest you send a hard copy letter or an email as well.

Kind Regards

Big Eddie

I sent her an email about 30 minutes ago. Watch this space.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 17:28

Messengers need messages to send. The understanding from the NLR AGM this week was that there are still discussions and negotiations happening about the message!
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 17:47
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Communication from theI RFU is poor. Kathryn is the Executive Director of Communications. I am not shooting the messenger. I am asking the messenger to do her job.

Messengers need messages to send. The understanding from the NLR AGM this week was that there are still discussions and negotiations happening about the message!

I am not asking for instant answers for some of my suggestions, merely dates when to expect an answer.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 14:32
I have just received the following email response from Kathryn Williamson:

Dear Peter,

The RFU is working collaboratively with representatives from the Championship and Premiership Rugby to look at the long-term future and structure of the professional game under the Professional Game Agreement.    

The RFU has committed to retaining current funding levels to the Championship until the end of the 2023/24 season, providing certainty to the clubs, while longer term discussions around the Professional Game Agreement take place.

The Championship will consist of 12 teams for the 2023-24 season with the fixtures due to be announced in late June in line with previous years. We are currently working with the clubs, who have the outline season structure, to map fixtures to their requests and availability.

For many years we have provided support in seeking sponsorship and broadcast partners, however, appetite has been limited. TNT Sports (BT Sport) will provide coverage of the Premiership Cup next season, which will include Championship clubs. The RFU is looking at continuing to provide a streaming service for the league, as it has done in recent seasons.

Best wishes,

Kathryn
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 14:57
At the Cambridge SGM last Tuesday we were told by our Chairman, that at the Championship Clubs meeting that day there was no confirmation of the funding for the 23/24 season.

So presumably it has been confirmed in the last week.
Sweeney Delenda Est
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 15:02
It's good that the Premiership Cup will be televised.
Regarding the sponsorship and broadcast partners - if we had play-offs and promotion it would be easier to attract such partners. For example, had the game between Jersey and Ealing been to decide who would be promoted to the Premiership it would have been very attractive to sponsors and broadcasters.
*Stalwart
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 15:16

The RFU is working collaboratively with representatives from the Championship and Premiership Rugby to look at the long-term future and structure of the professional game under the Professional Game Agreement.    

Well that's reassuring - tiny number of pro clubs continue to wag the tail of the rugby dog - and the other 2000 clubs will be told what's been decided by their betters in due course. Business as usual. 

If we continue to place the decisions about the top levels of rugby in the hands of the top levels of rugby then we'll come up with the same answers as always, and RU will remain in thrall to the seedy, golf-club bar, pork-barrel back-scratching that has blighted it since the days of closed fixture lists.

keep the faith
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 18:06
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

At the Cambridge SGM last Tuesday we were told by our Chairman, that at the Championship Clubs meeting that day there was no confirmation of the funding for the 23/24 season.

So presumably it has been confirmed in the last week.

Cambridge like most / all clubs have had their fair share of financial problems but I do recall a young Cambridge prop who was evicted from his rented home supplied by Cambridge RFC due to unpaid rent. He had not received monies due from the club for his front row services. 
He turned up at Ealing and was given accomodation and a job which included coaching U18'S Rugby. This was as far back as 2010 I recall. 
I hope they have all their finances in place and they are able to pay their players what they deserve at Championship level. 
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 09:28
Yes, that was the point Cambridge almost ceased to exist.
The list of donors who saved it is on the wall upstairs. You will see it if you come for lunch.
However, I believe the current committee will not make the same mistakes.
They might make different ones.

Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic