National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Why 10 teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 16:26
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Speedway has English & Scottish teams - albeit Premiership is all English

Great night out
First meeting I ever went to (and still have the prog for) was a double header: Bees vs Exeter and Bees vs Glasgow, but that was way back in the mid sixties.
Brandon Stadium is sadly missed.

Yeah I was a regular at Coventry, sad to see the stadium like it is now. I do go when I can to other tracks nearby. Be great to see some of the old teams comeback but costs and popularity will stop that for most nowadays Unhappy
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 22:57
Can't bring myself to go anywhere else Rich.
Our City,
Our Club
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 09:54
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Can't bring myself to go anywhere else Rich.

I see Oxford have risen phoenix like from the ashes. Mid you, it probably helped that their stadium was just sitting there derelict waiting for someone to do something with it. 
keep the faith
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 09:56
Lucky some developer had not turned it into a distribution centre or offices.
Sweeney Delenda Est
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:19
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Lucky some developer had not turned it into a distribution centre or offices.

From memory it was a rare case where the speedway and dog track closed down but the council held their nerve. 

The owners came back with proposal after proposal for the site, all of which were rejected. In the end, and well over a decade after the site had closed, it came into the possession of someone who has brought back speedway and is bringing back the dogs imminently. But how often does a council stonewall a developer for 10+ years?
keep the faith
Richmids View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 15:20
That is right the council said it had to stay as a sports venue and after a few twists Oxford are back and a great success story.

Sadly not many as Coventry have gone with Swindon, Newcastle, Stoke, Rye House, Lakeside and Eastbourne and that is only recent ones. It is not looking good for Wolves, Birmingham and Peterborough.

Bit like the RFU the BSPA needs change and someone who is not a promoter of a team at the top and try and get youngsters on the terraces.
Dad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 17:54
And Reading shut quite locally (dogs and speedway) meaning fans/riders from there available as well
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 17:58
As someone who has little or no interest in any form of motor sport, can we get back on topic please!

I’m surprised that nobody has commented on Judge Jeff Blackett’s thoughts on the future of rugby union. I was particularly interested in his thoughts about giving extra funding to the Championship by saving on executive salaries at Twickenham!!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/06/19/jeff-blackett-rfu-independence-diversity-cost-english-rugby/

Edited by JohnLowe - 21 Jun 2023 at 17:59
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 18:26
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

As someone who has little or no interest in any form of motor sport, can we get back on topic please!

I’m surprised that nobody has commented on Judge Jeff Blackett’s thoughts on the future of rugby union. I was particularly interested in his thoughts about giving extra funding to the Championship by saving on executive salaries at Twickenham!!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/06/19/jeff-blackett-rfu-independence-diversity-cost-english-rugby/

Are you able to paste the whole article?
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 19:20
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 19:25
As the article is behind a pay wall, we cannot see the body of the article 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 21:43
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

As the article is behind a pay wall, we cannot see the body of the article 

The link I posted above climbs over the pay wall. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 21:59
I get a 404 error.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 23:10
If you go to the 12ft ladder web page and paste in the link, it works fine.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 23:14
"Blackett’s blueprint includes efficiency savings at Twickenham – including reducing executive staff by around 20 per cent – in order to “properly fund” the second-tier Championship as well as re-employ rugby development officers lost to previous cuts to help support and promote the grass-roots game. “There is money, it is about allocating it differently,” he added. “Money needs to be ring fenced for the community game.

“The aim should be to allocate 70 per cent (of expenditure) to elite rugby and 30 per cent to community rugby.”

Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 23:24
it used to be 50/50.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whistle watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 06:46

it used to be 50/50.
I think 70/30 is a good split.  The community could do an awful lot with 70% of the funds.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 11:07
Originally posted by Whistle watcher Whistle watcher wrote:

it used to be 50/50.
I think 70/30 is a good split.  The community could do an awful lot with 70% of the funds.

LOL
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 10:51
When reading the BBC Sport page about Jersey Reds.
Discussions with investors didn’t work.

Who will invest in a Championship Club, when potentially it might not get a franchise for the second tier.

RFU board if you have a shred of decency. Resign. 
How the hell is game going to develop when you change the goalposts every few years. Who is going to invest money in September, then despite success find you are tier 3 next season?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 16:49
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

When reading the BBC Sport page about Jersey Reds.
Discussions with investors didn’t work.

Who will invest in a Championship Club, when potentially it might not get a franchise for the second tier.

RFU board if you have a shred of decency. Resign. 
How the hell is game going to develop when you change the goalposts every few years. Who is going to invest money in September, then despite success find you are tier 3 next season?

To be honest you can ask the same question about Premiership clubs - who will invest in them if and when the current sugar daddies have had enough? No one with any sense is the answer as London Irish recently discovered.

The simple fact is that just about every professional rugby club in the country is one step from extinction and as incompetent as the RFU undoubtedly are I don't think any re-arranging of the deckchairs on the Titanic will improve the situation.

The best hope is that the whole structure implodes and we rebuild something sustainable from scratch but that would leave a hell of a lot of casualties and a serious does of realism.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic