National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Pirates crowdfunding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 15:57
I remember Strongarm being available in a couple of pubs in York in the mid-late 1980s...

Wikipedia says Camerons is the 9th-largest brewery in UK
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 17:10
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Originally posted by front5 front5 wrote:

Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

Surely the best way to support a rugby team financially is by paying a commercially sensible price for a season ticket. I paid £150 last year for a season ticket (11 league + 3 cup matches) and £30 for 3 pre-season games against premiership clubs. Average a tad over £10 a game. The solution to the financial problems in rugby should surely start with supporters paying more at the turnstile.

Yes, but it's a delicate balance. Price too high and people simply won't pay it, and they'll find something else to do. I may be wrong, but I think this is what has happened at Exeter Chiefs - it's become unaffordable for many ordinary people struggling with the cost of living at the moment. I read recently that crowds are down 12% at Sandy park.
You sum it up well mate but frankly its a sad reflection when the "going rate is a tad over £10 a match" for watching a team who ultimately won their league. Everyone wants someone else to pay for their entertainment but if they increase the rate to £20-£25 a match it would still be great value imo and raise a decent sum. What does it cost to watch a Championship soccer match?

Most championship football match tickets can be obtained for free via sky VIP. 

£25 for a ticket doesn’t leave many coppers for the 8 pints, pie and peas and the taxi home it makes the game almost a £100 before evening beers and late night takeaway.

If the kids are about that would be 4 x beers and 4 x match fee! Teenagers!!!!
How much is a Taylor's Pork Pie & a pint of Strongarm?
Strongarm - now there’s a blast from a debauched past ! (For the rest of the country a Ruby red bitter brewed by Cameron’s  in Hartlepool. Don’t know whether it is still brewed).
Groan the hand pulled Strongarm in the Buck at Sadberge was worth getting the bus home for. Back in the day Zisslers would give Taylors pies a run for their money - the lad in charge of the shop played for Darlington RFC.

It’s Sedbergh.
And Strongarm is still brewed, albeit under different ownership. I was marketing manager at Cameron’s in the early 90s.
Definitely the Buck Inn at Sadberge mate a couple of miles East of Darlington.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 21:12
Strongarm is still around, her and me stayed at the Pier Inn in Whitby a few years ago, 2017 I think, a Cameron's pub with Strongarm on handpull, as I remembered it from the late seventies when I lived up that way.

Mind you, the best drinking experience on that stay was Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter at £1.95 a pint, doubt that it's that price now.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 21:21
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I remember Strongarm being available in a couple of pubs in York in the mid-late 1980s...

Cameron’s bought John J. Hunt of York; they had a couple of dozen pubs in and around York when I was there, but our bitter was the core beer; Strongarm was a Teesside phenomenon.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 21:21

Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Originally posted by front5 front5 wrote:

Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

Surely the best way to support a rugby team financially is by paying a commercially sensible price for a season ticket. I paid £150 last year for a season ticket (11 league + 3 cup matches) and £30 for 3 pre-season games against premiership clubs. Average a tad over £10 a game. The solution to the financial problems in rugby should surely start with supporters paying more at the turnstile.

Yes, but it's a delicate balance. Price too high and people simply won't pay it, and they'll find something else to do. I may be wrong, but I think this is what has happened at Exeter Chiefs - it's become unaffordable for many ordinary people struggling with the cost of living at the moment. I read recently that crowds are down 12% at Sandy park.
You sum it up well mate but frankly its a sad reflection when the "going rate is a tad over £10 a match" for watching a team who ultimately won their league. Everyone wants someone else to pay for their entertainment but if they increase the rate to £20-£25 a match it would still be great value imo and raise a decent sum. What does it cost to watch a Championship soccer match?

Most championship football match tickets can be obtained for free via sky VIP. 

£25 for a ticket doesn’t leave many coppers for the 8 pints, pie and peas and the taxi home it makes the game almost a £100 before evening beers and late night takeaway.

If the kids are about that would be 4 x beers and 4 x match fee! Teenagers!!!!
How much is a Taylor's Pork Pie & a pint of Strongarm?
Strongarm - now there’s a blast from a debauched past ! (For the rest of the country a Ruby red bitter brewed by Cameron’s  in Hartlepool. Don’t know whether it is still brewed).
Groan the hand pulled Strongarm in the Buck at Sadberge was worth getting the bus home for. Back in the day Zisslers would give Taylors pies a run for their money - the lad in charge of the shop played for Darlington RFC.

It’s Sedbergh.
And Strongarm is still brewed, albeit under different ownership. I was marketing manager at Cameron’s in the early 90s.
Definitely the Buck Inn at Sadberge mate a couple of miles East of Darlington.

apologies, not come across that Buck. 
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 22:52

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Cameron’s bought John J. Hunt of York; they had a couple of dozen pubs in and around York when I was there, but our bitter was the core beer; Strongarm was a Teesside phenomenon.
My understanding was that Cameron's Best Bitter was a recipe inherited when they took over Russell's and Wrangham's of Malton, with quite a large pub estate south of the North York Moors.  It was rare to find Strongarm and Best Bitter in the same pub, they were marketed at distinct areas.  When the Lord Raglan opened in Middlesbrough in the early eighties with both on tap it was quite a novelty, albeit a welcome one for me at least.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 09:00

Strongarm was a Teesside phenomenon.

Except for that couple of decades(?) when Camerons was owned by Banks's - which saw 'Strongarm Taphouses' turning up all over the West Midlands. My local in Kidderminster at the time was one. You could have anything you wanted, as long as what you wanted was Strongarm, or Banks's Mild. 

Cameron's is on the very very short list of breweries that Banks's bought then sold again - no one else has escaped the borg. Ruthless lot they are - when they bought Marstons they decided it was the better brand, so changed their own group name from Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries to Marstons...
keep the faith
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 09:45
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

Strongarm was a Teesside phenomenon.

Except for that couple of decades(?) when Camerons was owned by Banks's - which saw 'Strongarm Taphouses' turning up all over the West Midlands. My local in Kidderminster at the time was one. You could have anything you wanted, as long as what you wanted was Strongarm, or Banks's Mild. 

Cameron's is on the very very short list of breweries that Banks's bought then sold again - no one else has escaped the borg. Ruthless lot they are - when they bought Marstons they decided it was the better brand, so changed their own group name from Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries to Marstons...
Pedigree was half decent back in the day. Didn't Marstons do some deal with Carlsberg a couple of years ago?
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:25
Info from my golf partners yesterday 
. Strongarm is on at the Buck in Sadberge because the bloke who now owns Cameron’s lives in the village.
Strongarm last sampled by mate at West Hartlepool where it was apparently as good as ever. Hopefully on when Stockton play there this season 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:28
Yes, they set up a Joint Venture. But we are now several hundred miles off topic.
Sweeney Delenda Est
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:35
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Yes, they set up a Joint Venture. But we are now several hundred miles off topic.

That's true!
*Stalwart
HookerPaul View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 13:18
Should any of the aforementioned breweries be interested in The Pirates Crowdfunding appeal I am sure we would welcome them with open arms.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic