National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Pirates crowdfunding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pirates crowdfunding
    Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 19:59
I am surprised that no one yet has mentioned that Pirates and Truro are doing a crowdfunder/crowd investment drive. I would have happily chipped in if it had been for S4C, but it seems to be about paying player costs. Not sure that makes sense.
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 09:15
It’s called “Burning Money”
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 10:24
Its called begging and theres far too much of it in rugby union.

Live within your means, easy.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:50
[QUOTE=Fly Half]
Its called begging and theres far too much of it in rugby union.

Live within your means, easy.
[/QUOTE
I don’t have a problem with that. Do whatever you can to make your club successful and attract better players hopefully to attract more spectators 
With the exception of a few clubs most could accommodate more spectators so try a few promotions by halving the entrance fee and make more on the add ons in the bar  Lets be fair Championship level of attendance is probably about on par if that with Vandarama football 

Edited by tulip - 17 Jun 2023 at 12:51
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 13:17
Surprised at some of the negativity about this. I'll be happy to "invest" a few quid to support the club and Dicky Evans, who has spent a staggering amount of money backing the Pirates over a long period.
Hopefully there will be plenty of others who feel the same. 

*Stalwart
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 14:43
Surely the best way to support a rugby team financially is by paying a commercially sensible price for a season ticket. I paid £150 last year for a season ticket (11 league + 3 cup matches) and £30 for 3 pre-season games against premiership clubs. Average a tad over £10 a game. The solution to the financial problems in rugby should surely start with supporters paying more at the turnstile.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 15:16
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Surely the best way to support a rugby team financially is by paying a commercially sensible price for a season ticket. I paid £150 last year for a season ticket (11 league + 3 cup matches) and £30 for 3 pre-season games against premiership clubs. Average a tad over £10 a game. The solution to the financial problems in rugby should surely start with supporters paying more at the turnstile.

Yes, but it's a delicate balance. Price too high and people simply won't pay it, and they'll find something else to do. I may be wrong, but I think this is what has happened at Exeter Chiefs - it's become unaffordable for many ordinary people struggling with the cost of living at the moment. I read recently that crowds are down 12% at Sandy park.
*Stalwart
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 15:41
It all depends, Blues have just increased their prices having frozen them for about 3 seasons. They probably operate at the highest cost in the league (anyone higher?) and have the largest attendance.

Match Day tickets (Adults)
Ground £23.50
Stand £27.50
Although they usually sell them for £2 cheaper if bought online in advance.

Season Tickets (Adults)
Early Bird
Ground £249
Stand £299

Standard
Ground £289
Stand £339

It does give 15 games, 11 league, 3 cup and friendly with Saints plus if you want to watch the Women’s team
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 16:15
I think all clubs look to find ways to get supporters who can to give them more money than just a season ticket, whether through a 100 club or through crowdfunding.

Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 16:38
Originally posted by *Stalwart *Stalwart wrote:

Yes, but it's a delicate balance. Price too high and people simply won't pay it, and they'll find something else to do. I may be wrong, but I think this is what has happened at Exeter Chiefs - it's become unaffordable for many ordinary people struggling with the cost of living at the moment. I read recently that crowds are down 12% at Sandy park.
You sum it up well mate but frankly its a sad reflection when the "going rate is a tad over £10 a match" for watching a team who ultimately won their league. Everyone wants someone else to pay for their entertainment but if they increase the rate to £20-£25 a match it would still be great value imo and raise a decent sum. What does it cost to watch a Championship soccer match?
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 17:25
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

It all depends, Blues have just increased their prices having frozen them for about 3 seasons. They probably operate at the highest cost in the league (anyone higher?) and have the largest attendance.

Ground £23.50
Stand £27.50

Season Tickets (Adults)
Early Bird
Ground £249
Stand £299

Standard
Ground £289
Stand £339

It does give 15 games, 11 league, 3 cup and friendly with Saints plus if you want to watch the Women’s team

The support Bedford get is brilliant - attracting 2/3000 for matches certainly helps with income. We were achieving those numbers when we played at Camborne, but since we moved back to Penzance our crowds did fall away. We haven't been as successful as in days gone by and this impacts on crowds as well. This is why we wanted to move to Truro and fought so long and hard for the new stadium - more central location and easier for people who live in central/east Cornwall. Cornwall is a very financially depressed region and wages are very low compared to the national average. So, asking people to pay more for their rugby is a big ask.
*Stalwart
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 17:30

You sum it up well mate but frankly its a sad reflection when the "going rate is a tad over £10 a match" for watching a team who ultimately won their league. Everyone wants someone else to pay for their entertainment but if they increase the rate to £20-£25 a match it would still be great value imo and raise a decent sum. What does it cost to watch a Championship soccer match?

Most championship football match tickets can be obtained for free via sky VIP. 

£25 for a ticket doesn’t leave many coppers for the 8 pints, pie and peas and the taxi home it makes the game almost a £100 before evening beers and late night takeaway.

If the kids are about that would be 4 x beers and 4 x match fee! Teenagers!!!!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 18:48
Originally posted by front5 front5 wrote:

£25 for a ticket doesn’t leave many coppers for the 8 pints, pie and peas and the taxi home it makes the game almost a £100 before evening beers and late night takeaway.

How much is a Taylor's Pork Pie & a pint of Strongarm?
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 19:07
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Ground £23.50
Stand £27.50

Season Tickets (Adults)
Early Bird
Ground £249
Stand £299

Standard
Ground £289
Stand £339

I tend to only go to league games, so I don’t find any benefits in a season ticket. Work schedule might mean I miss a game so 10 games would be £28.90, will stick to ma5ch by match.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 20:59
In the end it’s up to the individual if they want to support this scheme.  The Pirates have been very open in the proposal in stating that it is high risk and you could lose all of your money.
The last return available on line, June 22, shows net liabilities of 5.8 million up from 4.25 million the previous year.  I’m no expert in reading these documents but this total includes a large low interest Covid loan. 
Buyer beware etc
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 07:57
Is there even a link to it? I can't seem to find one
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 08:57
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 09:22

Strongarm - now there’s a blast from a debauched past ! (For the rest of the country a Ruby red bitter brewed by Cameron’s  in Hartlepool. Don’t know whether it is still brewed).

Edited by Neasham - 18 Jun 2023 at 09:22
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 15:17
Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Strongarm - now there’s a blast from a debauched past ! (For the rest of the country a Ruby red bitter brewed by Cameron’s  in Hartlepool. Don’t know whether it is still brewed).
Groan the hand pulled Strongarm in the Buck at Sadberge was worth getting the bus home for. Back in the day Zisslers would give Taylors pies a run for their money - the lad in charge of the shop played for Darlington RFC.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 15:54

Originally posted by Neasham Neasham wrote:

Groan the hand pulled Strongarm in the Buck at Sadberge was worth getting the bus home for. Back in the day Zisslers would give Taylors pies a run for their money - the lad in charge of the shop played for Darlington RFC.

It’s Sedbergh.
And Strongarm is still brewed, albeit under different ownership. I was marketing manager at Cameron’s in the early 90s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic