National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Return to the Championship via Franchises

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 20:49
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

One that is readable 

The most likely pathway would involve a move to a franchise system that will see clubs able to gain entry if they can prove they meet a revised minimum standards criteria that goes beyond having a stadium with a capacity of 10,000 but is also likely to include levels of support, strength of brand name, size of social media following and a long-term vision for growth.  

What strikes me here abotu the criteria is that they are basically the same as the ones that IMG and Rugby League are considering. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 21:27
What strikes me is the lack of “sustainability test” or survival without rich owner test. Think that is more important than Twitter followers etc!

Also who decides in how great a brand name is?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 21:56
There is also the question that, if you take away the TV coverage, can those "brands" attract a crowd. Especially after two years of no rugby. Would it be a bigger crowd than a current Championship club?

And of course, where on earth could they play?

Sweeney Delenda Est
Stoatgobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 22:55
"“We need brands like Wasps and Worcester in the Championship.."

Really? Do we?

"..and there must be a way in the medium term to bring them back more quickly by restructuring the Championship to refranchise them in the right place in the country,".

Well there we have it folks. Let's give the rules some rubbery qualities when we need it.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2023 at 22:59
I posted this on the Tigers forum seems to fit here also
For business to invest, there has to be a product that attracts them and as we have seen in three cases, no-one world wide was interested enough to sign a cheque. So a new exciting product has to come forwards, is this a new exciting product, I'm no business man, but it looks and smells malodious.
Here's a possible scenario, enter into a room a prospective investor, "oh hello, I represent a rugby club that went under leaving a trial of unpaid debts and we are planning to start again and may well do the same again, now how much money do you want to squander?................................................................why did they just run out of the room?"

I struggle to see what pipe dream can be sold to a hard headed wealthy investor looking for a return, I think this is pie in the sky, fantasy.
The PRL is part owned by CVC, I find it hard to see where they are going to get any investment from, the world economy is in tatters, recession in Germany, never thought I'd hear that, another war raging on our doorsteps, another Vietnam??
Were I a rich man, someone who might by an obscure soccer team in North Wales, or now shares in an F1 team, would I go into rugby union in England with what is going on? Property sharks picking over bones, vultures maybe, but serious investors, just can't see it, the clubs should now be looking where they begin at level 10 and see how it pans out in a few years time.
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 09:29
Very well said Tigerburnie. This is a total fantasy and shows the complete disconnect with reality from those in charge of our game.
*Stalwart
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 10:30
I get that people like Dalaglio are desperate to try and save their club, but there's responsibility to others involved here, an ex Wasps player said he was owed nearly a £100K, that's just one person, then there's all the bond holders, supporters of the club as well as other suppliers.
You cannot have a business go bust and then allow them to re-start again  without being held responsible, others will see that as a licence to do the same thing. I use Wasps because we know a lot about what happened, I'm less sure about the Worcester and Exiles situation. No business or "brand" can be allowed to treat employees and suppliers with contempt, be it a corner shop or a rugby club.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 11:25
I looked on the London Irish board, the fans there are pretty sanguine about their situation. They realise the club does not even have the proverbial pot to micturate into. And if they did, the administrator would sell it.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 11:54
Also on the Quin's forum, there is disquiet about losing home games.

The forum users are the hard core fans, who are not enamoured of the games at Twickenham, and now will only get seven home Premiership games at the Stoop, plus two in Europe and three in the cup - two of which will be against Championship clubs.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 12:40
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Also on the Quin's forum, there is disquiet about losing home games.

The forum users are the hard core fans, who are not enamoured of the games at Twickenham, and now will only get seven home Premiership games at the Stoop, plus two in Europe and three in the cup - two of which will be against Championship clubs.
Yes there are quite a lot of "fans" who seem to measure club support against what is in it for them. Clubs are in the deep and brown smelly stuff, all of them and they are going to need all the help they can find to stay in the pro game. To para phrase a well known saying it's  " ask not what can your club do for you, but what can you do for your club"
Some seem to think there's some sort of privilege they get when they buy a ticket for the season, like buying a pound of flesh and only getting 12 ounces. There will be more big clubs vanish unless something radical happens, Newcastle have begun by paying players what they can afford, Tigers also did this by asking players to take a pay cut a couple of years back, players like Manu Tuilagi walked away and took the club to court, that is not going to sustain the pro game for long.
Eventually and it might take a few years, but players will realise that the money has gone, £million pound players will be gone, less mercenaries in the game. Lets not pretend, new players join small local clubs because of a couple of reasons, their parents might have been involved in the game, or they are watching International or Premiership games on the telly. National league teams will thrive with a fully functioning top level, the game will function at International level if we have a strong top level, but someone somewhere needs to pull there necks in and realise we do not want a system like Scottish soccer(or rugby) where there are two teams and a lot of much lower grade teams to make up the numbers, it does not work.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 12:51
Looks like Blues are enhancing their brand and will give jersey's to the junior blues for free.

FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 16:56
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Looks like Blues are enhancing their brand and will give jersey's to the junior blues for free.

Small steps. Positive step to reinforce club loyalty and brand, especially if the Colts take theirs to University. Full stash to Colts would be even better to spread the word.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 17:38
Am I alone in finding it rather disquieting to read that rugby clubs, many of which are well over 100 years old, are now considered as 'brands'?
“We need brands like Wasps and Worcester in the Championship and there must be a way in the medium term to bring them back more quickly by restructuring the Championship to refranchise them in the right place in the country,” said one senior Premiership source at the time.
Brands, schmands, It's all marketing speak and means absolutely nothing in the greater scheme of things.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 23:26
Quins are asking £1000 for a new season ticket on the half way line, which is more than Chelsea for an equivalent seat but for roughly half the matches.

One does have to ask, at what point is one's club taking the mickey.

And I have been a Quins fan since 1970.

Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 06:47
Extortion!
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
BE57 REF View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BE57 REF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 07:05
With a grandson who has become obsessed with football, I have recently acquired season tickets for Burnley’s return to the Premier League. Total cost for two (admittedly both concessionaire at 65+ and U18) was £390 for 19 home Premier League games. Effectively £20 per game for the two of us - about the same as the National 2 rugby I will be seeing less of……
Just call me "Sir".
BE57 REF View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BE57 REF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 07:14
With a grandson who has become obsessed with football, I have recently acquired season tickets for Burnley’s return to the Premier League. Total cost for two (admittedly both concessionaire at 65+ and U18) was £390 for 19 home Premier League games. Effectively £10 a head - about the same as the National 2 rugby I will be seeing less of…… And I’ll save money on beer….
Just call me "Sir".
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 07:41
Originally posted by BE57 REF BE57 REF wrote:

With a grandson who has become obsessed with football, I have recently acquired season tickets for Burnley’s return to the Premier League. Total cost for two (admittedly both concessionaire at 65+ and U18) was £390 for 19 home Premier League games. Effectively £10 a head - about the same as the National 2 rugby I will be seeing less of…… And I’ll save money on beer….

please accept my condolences BE57
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 07:49
The major difference is that football clubs don’t need fans in the ground which also have much larger capacities. They get so much money from TV from around the world, so can offer the tickets cheaply, as it’s more about ensuring there is an atmosphere for the TV.

Rugby if you don’t make as much as you can on the match day you are reliant on one person to pump money in.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 08:31
Originally posted by BE57 REF BE57 REF wrote:

They'll need more than that if they're serious about buying Viktor Gyokeres! Wink
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic