National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Return to the Championship via Franchises

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 14:01
The tripe that started this discussion was written by Gavin Mairs so it really isn't worth taking seriously.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 14:18
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

The tripe that started this discussion was written by Gavin Mairs so it really isn't worth taking seriously.
I do hope you are correct,  if the 3 clubs in question wish to start up again they can start at he bottom of the ladder.
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 13:56
The Championship (or Prem 2) does not need 'brands' like Worcester and Wasps. What it needs is some rugby clubs that run with financial competence complete with a ground, some coaches, players and support staff. That, along with some fervent supporters and a beer tent with fine hand-drawn ales, is all that is needed. Bish, bash, bosh.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 16:31
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

I do hope you are correct,  if the 3 clubs in question wish to start up again they can start at he bottom of the ladder.

Totally agree but not worth worrying about until a more credible source reports it.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2023 at 19:40
Originally posted by Greg Greg wrote:

The Championship (or Prem 2) does not need 'brands' like Worcester and Wasps. What it needs is some rugby clubs that run with financial competence complete with a ground, some coaches, players and support staff. That, along with some fervent supporters and a beer tent with fine hand-drawn ales, is all that is needed. Bish, bash, bosh.

Well said that man
Clap
HookerPaul View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 08:45
I posted something similar to the following on the Pirates SN site:
Looking at this in black and white, (stoopid, I know), can we really expect to see 3 teams, 2 without a ground, all with no players, coaches or support staff, nor a financial backer.  Not having played a game of competitive rugby for at least 1 season, to come along at the begining of 24/25 or even 25/26 season and say: "Hi, we're the new Wasps/Warriors/Irish and we're here to brighten up your Prem 2 league.  Oh, and by the way 3 of you must drop down to the lower league to make room for us, 3 from that league must also drop, and so on down the pyramid."
I don't think the RFU/PRL would have the money or wherewithall nor backbone to defend a joint action that would undobtedly be taken by quite a few clubs.
Realstically I can't see it happening, so it probably wil!
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 10:29
Forgive me for trying to look onto the Minds of the RFU (Difficult I know) but there could be a perverse logic coming out which is:-
  1.  Prem 2 is a "New League"
  2. All clubs can apply to join based on the following criteria;
  3. their ground capacity.
  4. Their brand name will bring in good sponsorship.
  5. They have a large support
  6. They have a large internet footprint.
  7. They have a 10 year plan 
Only clubs with the the above can apply. The championship will remain but will at level 3 in the pyramid as the top of the community game with no financial support. Nat 1 becomes level 4 and split into two leagues.

Edited by workerbee - 01 Jul 2023 at 10:31
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 10:30
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Forgive me for trying to look onto the Minds of the RFU (Difficult I know) but there could be a perverse logic coming out which is:-
Only clubs with the the above can apply.

In other words the plan for Rugby League.
HookerPaul View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookerPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 12:15
Only clubs with the the above can apply. The championship will remain but will at level 3 in the pyramid as the top of the community game with no financial support. Nat 1 becomes level 4 and split into two leagues.

You make a good point Workerbee.

Some things there will need definition for sure:  Ground capacity: seating, standing, combined?
Brand name:  I presume you mean a National sponsor who may well be familiar with the likes of Wasps, Warriors, Irish.  What about the rest of us local yokels, "The Cornish what?, Ealing who? and yes I know where Jersey is, but it's not in England, is it?" etc. etc.  Apart from the three obvious there are just not enough well known names below the Prem to attract a big sponsor, unless one is willing to cover both Prem 1 & 2?
They have large support: Coventry and Bedford probably tick that box.
Internet footprint:  How is that even measured?
10 year plan:  I hope that applies to prem 1 as well because reading that could be a giggle.
Wink
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 16:45
IN which case, what would stop Manchester United or Chelsea applying?
Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 16:51
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Regional - more likely Aston Villa than Manchester Pig

and Racing for the Jersey franchise - Rennes, Roazhon Park 30 000 seats 

Edited by FHLH - 01 Jul 2023 at 17:00
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 21:37
Possibly why not Manchester Warriors, Chelsea Wasps or Fulham Irish
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 22:45
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Possibly why not Manchester Warriors, Chelsea Wasps or Fulham Irish

Certainly have some competition issues in M'cr, Sale Sharks, Sale FC top of Level 3, Sedgely Park looking to get back into the Championship having been culled last reorganisation.

Lots of toes to tread on in the name of progress.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 09:25
Progress or futility?? 
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 14:15
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Common sense?
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 18:25
Took my 8 year old on a stadium tour at hazelnutnal as part of his birthday and although the tour is quite reasonably priced at £25 & 20 it’s the merchandising that gets you in the shop and it was absolutely heaving. I bought a shirt and after putting the name and number it was £108 and £28 for shorts, now as a one off it’s bad but what was surprising was the amount of parents with 2,3 even 4 shirts. In our group of 4 we spent close to £450 and we were by no means big spenders looking at others. The money they must be turning over makes your eyes water and unfortunately I don’t think we in rugby would come anywhere close hence the desire (not from me) for big name franchises
So many Christians not enough Lions
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 18:42
Buy them in China before they are shipped over, probably only a few pence there judging by the average quality
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 23:50
Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

Buy them in China before they are shipped over, probably only a few pence there judging by the average quality

£8 allegedly
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 09:24
Originally posted by Geoff DC Geoff DC wrote:

To be fair, the Hummel Coventry City ones are much praised by the fans.
Not all Chinese-made stuff is tat.
Priced for profit, agreed.
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic