National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedPremier/Championship Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 11:04
Newcastle to Exeter isn’t a problem travel-wise, there’s a direct flight.

The change in the draw was nothing to do with us.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 11:30
Bedford have some nice local derbys against Sale, Newcastle and Caldy to look forward to, including away trips to the first 2. Not sure the income from our home games (which clash with England RWC games) will cover the travel expenses…

Who came up with this tosh? Another incredible display of ineptitude by the RFU. I think everyone involved would rather have had pools done geographically than seeded. Feel like Bedford and Doncaster could’ve agreed to an “operational swap”

How difficult would’ve it been to do

Sale
Newcastle
Doncaster
Caldy
Nottingham 

Leicester
Northampton
Bristol
Bedford
Ampthill
Coventry

Exeter
Bath
Gloucester
Hartpury
Pirates
Jersey 

Saracens
Quins
Ealing
London Scottish 
Cambridge 

Not ideal for Nottingham, Cambridge or Bristol (and nothing convenient for Jersey), but it’s considerably better than what we’ve been given.

Edited by Bluesman11 - 14 Jul 2023 at 11:38
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 12:50
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Bedford have some nice local derbys against Sale, Newcastle and Caldy to look forward to, including away trips to the first 2. Not sure the income from our home games (which clash with England RWC games) will cover the travel expenses…

Who came up with this tosh? Another incredible display of ineptitude by the RFU. I think everyone involved would rather have had pools done geographically than seeded. Feel like Bedford and Doncaster could’ve agreed to an “operational swap”

Sale
Newcastle
Doncaster
Caldy
Nottingham 

Leicester
Northampton
Bristol
Bedford
Ampthill
Coventry

Exeter
Bath
Gloucester
Hartpury
Pirates
Jersey 

Saracens
Quins
Ealing
London Scottish 
Cambridge 

Not ideal for Nottingham, Cambridge or Bristol (and nothing convenient for Jersey), but it’s considerably better than what we’ve been given.
So Bluesman, you've managed in five minutes to produce something 100% better than what has been actually delivered. What has been actually delivered is nevertheless, 100% better than just playing the Championship Cup (again).
TAS63 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TAS63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 12:53
Perhaps it's easy to moan, but I am just pleased to see it finally happening. And there is always the chance to improve with experience.

I see someone said Pools were based on League finishing position, with a couple of agreed "swops". Reckon that's as decent an approach as any. I understand the sentiment for a regional arrangement, but lets be honest after a couple of years we will all be moaning we keep playing the same teams.

Some bits we will be good, some bits will be crap - but, at least, Premiership squads [I am going to hestitate to say teams] will be playing Championship teams.

Edited by TAS63 - 14 Jul 2023 at 12:54
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 15:10
Originally posted by Mark Smith Mark Smith wrote:

Newcastle to Exeter isn’t a problem travel-wise, there’s a direct flight.

The change in the draw was nothing to do with us.

‘Us’ being Newcastle? Or Newcastle and Exeter?
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 15:16
I agree with those who’ve flagged the positives of this, but also think the no home fixtures v Prem sides for LS & Camb, based on last season’s performance, is a pity. What were Camb meant to do - finish higher than 1st in Nat 1?

Those accusing the RFU of mis-organising this competition are missing the point - it’s organised by Prem Rugby & invites have only been issued with strings attached. Not perfect, but those are the cards that have been dealt.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 15:43
No issue for Falcons travelling to Exeter, well it is if you are a fan, which sort of sums up the problem!!! And strangely Falcons desperately need fans
Run with it
Mark Smith View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 16:07
“Us” meaning Newcastle.

And the direct flight is also open to fans.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 16:39

“Us” meaning Newcastle.

Thanks. Reason for asking was that perhaps Exeter requested the switch… not that there’s any guarantee we’ll find out, or that it really matters…
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 17:10
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Sale
Newcastle
Doncaster
Caldy
Nottingham 

Leicester
Northampton
Bristol
Bedford
Ampthill
Coventry

Exeter
Bath
Gloucester
Hartpury
Pirates
Jersey 

Saracens
Quins
Ealing
London Scottish 
Cambridge 

No doubt the Burrow will show the England games, not sure if the Marquee has a TV. Does Scrum Hall still have a Telly?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 17:58

“Us” meaning Newcastle.

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 17:59
One day I'll learn how to delete post
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 18:32
I'd imagine players at Caldy and Amptill are looking forwards to playing at Welford Road and it will be like old time when the Tigers go to Goldington Road.
Mark Smith View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

aka 'Ramshackle Smith'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 18:39
Think you’re getting warmer there, Islander Wink
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 19:02
As this is a Cup competition, I assume gates are being split 60%/40% as is normal Clown
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 20:34
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

As this is a Cup competition, I assume gates are being split 60%/40% as is normal Clown
That's a good one - straight from Monty Python.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 21:08
It has been pointed out Quins play the Barbarians and Nottingham at the same time.
Well 15 minutes apart.

Sweeney Delenda Est
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 22:41
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

That's a good one - straight from Monty Python.

Well it was in 2005!!! They don't make cups like they used to! WinkWink

Edited by FHLH - 14 Jul 2023 at 22:43
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 00:02

It’s probably 90%/10% to the prem side, regardless of who’s at home…
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 08:52
I believe all tv money is going to the PRL sides, no idea about gate money, you'd hope the Championship sides keep theirs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic