National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship Cup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Forum LockedPremier/Championship Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 08:55
Reminds me of the old merit tables in the amateur days looking at those pools, a few different teams there and some famous ones missing.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 09:20
Legalized money laundering. As anything to do with the Prem seems to be.
Our City,
Our Club
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 09:51
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Legalized money laundering. As anything to do with the Prem seems to be.

Don't know about that.

Last time I used a laundry I left with all the clothes I put in at the start.
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 10:29
Since when was the Premiership Cup interesting or worthwhile? Other than the eventual winners who appear to parade the Cup around as though it was all in their grand plan? Nobody actually cares. If Jersey or Ealing do well against whoever's second team/academy team/anyone else the Prem team can find to play who cares?

Pointless stocking filler

Edited by Jasper99 - 15 Jul 2023 at 10:29
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 10:44
Originally posted by Jasper99 Jasper99 wrote:

Since when was the Premiership Cup interesting or worthwhile? Other than the eventual winners who appear to parade the Cup around as though it was all in their grand plan? Nobody actually cares. If Jersey or Ealing do well against whoever's second team/academy team/anyone else the Prem team can find to play who cares?

It's a lot better than simply playing the same teams as in the league. I think it will generate a lot of interest. For example, when Pirates play Bath a lot of people will come out to watch, even if the Bath squad is not their first team. 
*Stalwart
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 10:53
Begs the question about player burn out - similar to 16 team leagues. Premiership fixtures at Home will be a draw - if you have one 😎

Edited by FHLH - 15 Jul 2023 at 10:54
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 12:20
Looking at the Premiership boards, it seems to have generated a fair bit of interest and support.
Different teams to play and different grounds to visit.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 13:33

What a sad post - I for one certainly care and the players I know care and will relish the opportunity. When Pirates play Jersey both teams will care - they always do when they play each other. The format and structure of the competition is well short of ideal but its something to build on for the future. I hope every Championship side put out their best available team in this competition and will cheer every point they score against the entitled premiership teams.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 15:25
I certainly have more interest than playing the same teams over and over again!

The one home game against tigers will generate a lot of income.

Just a shame TNT isn’t showing a champ v prem game every televised match.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 15:36

This season it feels like a preseason friendly event.

Which at group stage it is, to allow clubs to tick over before October.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 15:56
The last couple of seasons without promotion and relegation has seen both leagues become quite stale. It’s far from ideal (groups of 5 with home and away would have been great, one of the many downsides of the loss of Wasps, Irish and Worcester) but this certainly puts some variety into the mix for fans and I am sure the Champ players will relish the opportunity to show what they’ve got against a Prem outfit. If the Champ can get a few turnovers against Prem teams that will be brilliant for the profile of the Champ and will inject some much needed interest and kudos. 
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 16:51
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

I certainly have more interest than playing the same teams over and over again!

The one home game against tigers will generate a lot of income.

Just a shame TNT isn’t showing a champ v prem game every televised match.

My lads under 13s might even make it over for that.

It will mostly depend on RWC clashes to be honest.
Jasper99 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 06:47
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

What a sad post - I for one certainly care and the players I know care and will relish the opportunity. When Pirates play Jersey both teams will care - they always do when they play each other. The format and structure of the competition is well short of ideal but its something to build on for the future. I hope every Championship side put out their best available team in this competition and will cheer every point they score against the entitled premiership teams.

Hahaha CorporalC the sad thing is that you can't see past your nose! The Premiership Cup Mishmash doesn't extend your audience when Prem sides aren't invested in it and scrabble around BUCS and Nat 1 teams last minute to assemble some sort of side. If you welcome pyrrhic victories that's fine, but fundamentally it's not extending your audience if the competition is hollow, unfairly weighted and ill thought through.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:00
The reality is that this format will only last for one season until the new league format is set up with the two premier leagues of 10. 
The sad thing is that we are now 6 weeks away from the start of another season with no knowledge what we are playing for in Promotion or relegation.
  • Promotion , yes if the club can meet the criteria and win a play off with the bottom club of Premiership.
  • Relegation - will the league be a 10 club league with applications from Franchise clubs to enter.
  • Definition of Franchise club will need to be identified- can a Nat 1 club which meets the criteria apply?
  • This will be the third year that clubs have entered a season without knowing the end. so much for stability at the top.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:33

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Hahaha CorporalC the sad thing is that you can't see past your nose! The Premiership Cup Mishmash doesn't extend your audience when Prem sides aren't invested in it and scrabble around BUCS and Nat 1 teams last minute to assemble some sort of side. If you welcome pyrrhic victories that's fine, but fundamentally it's not extending your audience if the competition is hollow, unfairly weighted and ill thought through.

I’m with CC on this one. The competition is 100 times better than the old Championship cup. More importantly, we have been banging on about how we should be given the opportunity to compete against the cartel and this is now our chance. Ok, the international players will be at the WC, so if the Champ sides are put to the sword it provides the RFU & PL with all the ammo that they need. However, if a few of the Champ sides turn them over, then it adds a huge amount of weight to the argument against ring fencing.
This is our chance, we have to take it.
Tackle Low!!!!!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 16:18
Magic pool:

Leicester
Northampton
Coventry
Nottingham
Bedford
Ampthill

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 17:06
What will really devalue it is if we get a situation where a prem team is playing a champ team fielding 10 DRs and loan players from a Prem side.

Going into another season without knowing the future structure is again absurd. When will there be a vote of no confidence!!
Run with it
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 18:03
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

What will really devalue it is if we get a situation where a prem team is playing a champ team fielding 10 DRs and loan players from a Prem side.

Going into another season without knowing the future structure is again absurd. When will there be a vote of no confidence!!

They're in a different pool
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 18:19
I can assure that at least one Premiership side will be fielding their strongest sides, getting them ready for the league to start, blooding new signings as after the World Cup there are rest weeks to be completed, there will be no National league players in the side I have in mind. Sure there will be a string of internationals missing, but you will not find many names that you have not heard of before.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 19:18
Runitback

To get a vote of no confidence, you need to get the junior clubs to submit requests, as there are not enough senior clubs.

So you have to find an issue they care about.

Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic