National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

England overseas player policy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: England overseas player policy
    Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 10:18
Is it time to scrap the England Overseas player non eligibility policy with the news that Henry Arundel has decided to join Racing 92?
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 10:46
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

Is it time to scrap the England Overseas player non eligibility policy with the news that Henry Arundel has decided to join Racing 92?

I wouldn't.

England produces lots of decent players.

But Arundel could've been a star at this world cup.
Almost as puzzling as the Joe Hawkins decision.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 11:06

I would, but only because English rugby is absolutely happy to raid South Africa for it's talent, but then in the same breath thinks it's too self important to allow England players to play elsewhere. 
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 12:30
With the lowered salary cap to £5 million and the rumours about Marcus smith going abroad in a years time when his contract is up at Quins could mean even bleaker times for Steve Borthwick!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 16:34
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

I would, but only because English rugby is absolutely happy to raid South Africa for it's talent, but then in the same breath thinks it's too self important to allow England players to play elsewhere. 

I think that's Scotland you're thinking of! Wink
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 18:12
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

I think that's Scotland you're thinking of! Wink

LOL I was meaning more the English league in general, rather than specifically the international team. 
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 09:59
An interesting take on the state of English Rugby

clieves View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 12:45
It seems ridiculous to me that English players are prevented from playing for their national team because of where they play their league rugby. On some level it must be close to being a restraint of trade, why shouldn't they be able to maximise their earnings during their short careers. 

Did the fact most of, if not all of their players play in Europe harm the Argentinian soccer team in the World Cup? Does it effect their league attendences in Argentina? No and no ... 

I also believe players improve when exposed to different cultures, styles of play etc Time to stop being so narrow minded ...
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 13:42
Originally posted by clieves clieves wrote:

It seems ridiculous to me that English players are prevented from playing for their national team because of where they play their league rugby. On some level it must be close to being a restraint of trade, why shouldn't they be able to maximise their earnings during their short careers. 

Did the fact most of, if not all of their players play in Europe harm the Argentinian soccer team in the World Cup? Does it effect their league attendences in Argentina? No and no ... 

I also believe players improve when exposed to different cultures, styles of play etc Time to stop being so narrow minded ...
My understanding it is the players who insist on only picking those loyal who stay in the country.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 14:09
In Wales the (similar) policy is in place to get more training time from the players.

In the middle if the 6 nations LRZ et al return to their clubs for a match in the rest weekend. The Wales based players stay in camp.

International sides are invitation only so restraint of trade isn't applicable.

Edited by Paul10 - 15 Sep 2023 at 14:11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic