National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Leicester Tigers and Norfolk: Rugby union's...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leicester Tigers and Norfolk: Rugby union's...
    Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 20:09
A pleasant story of how an East Midlands club became tied up with a (relatively) remote coastal county, or a testament to how decisions taken decades ago have stunted the development of rugby union outside of the Premiership?

Leicester Tigers and Norfolk: Rugby union's unlikely long-distance alliance

"In Norfolk, it's in our blood. We are Leicester Tigers through and through."

You don't hear that kind of sentiment, shared by Simon, a Tigers' fan who lives in Norfolk, very often. It's rare to find a community who, almost universally, support a team that play a three-hour drive and 110 miles away.

He has come along to a Leicester open training session at Gresham's School in Holt, joined by his wife and two daughters. They travel to see the team for every home game, and are not alone.

Hundreds more fans have come along to see their team train in this small town near the north Norfolk coast. One tells me the area is a "home from home for Leicester".

The county brings hundreds of supporters to each game, but has also produced some of Tigers' best players.

Freddie Steward and Ben Youngs are both from the county, came through the Leicester academy and are heading to the Rugby World Cup. Jack van Poortvliet, another Norfolk native, would have joined them but for an untimely injury.

Ben's brother Tom also became an England player and British and Irish Lion, and players like Harry Simmons, Calum Green and Charlie Clare have played key roles in Leicester's revival.

When did this unlikely alliance begin?

In the Premiership, each team has a so-called 'catchment area' to find talent and bring players through their academy.

Tigers recruit from Leicestershire and Rutland, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Staffordshire - counties that are geographically close - and then, surprisingly, Norfolk.

The areas were largely decided when the game turned professional in the mid-1990s. Why Norfolk was paired with Leicester - more than 100 miles away on the A47 - nobody seems to know.

The county is closer to the home grounds of their Premiership rivals Northampton or Saracens, and very few other clubs are that far away from part of their catchment area.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 20:48
Tigers have tie ups with rugby in China, nothing much to see here, scouts are all over the UK and beyond, it's not a very accurate piece to be honest. They have players in Australia and New Zealand and players come from those countries, although not so much NZ these days. Martin Johnson went to play in NZ and played for the junior All Blacks, these kind of tie ups have existed for decades, before the game went pro. Players guest for Premiership teams, some have done so during this seasons pre season games so clubs can have a look at players and players can have a look at the clubs. When the "A" league was being played, Leicester Lions had players turn out for the Tigers.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 21:21
What is not accurate about the post???  It is a reflection on the incredible bond between Norfolk and the Tigers...primarily down to the player pathway for some reason linking Norfolk with Tigers. (The other two counties in E Counties, Suffolk and Cambs feed into Saints, so its strange).  Trust me, if you ever came down from Scotland and visited clubs like N Walsham, Holt, Norwich, Diss et al, the support for the Tigers would surprise you...its overwhelming!
Claiming Tigers have links / scouts all over the world is not unique...all the big boys do....
I know you constantly feel the need to bring all things back to Leicester Lions, but probably most National League Clubs can lay claim to some Premiership A Team / Academy players turning out for them...especially those only a few miles down the road!
Celebrate something special rather than denegrate.
(Oh and I speak as a Saints supporter)

tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 21:47
Leicester Lions have had a tie up with the Saints as well, young Grayson had a season with them and Gradwick-Light was with them too, so well aware that clubs all over the national leagues have players moving around. I know Norfolk very well and until recent deaths, almost half my family lived in Norfolk,  I think the o.p. was suggesting the tie up might be stunting development in the area, having played against some Norfolk clubs, I am well aware of the clubs and their support. I was actually deflecting criticism rather than dissing anyone in Norfolk. I've just watched the Tigers latest video of the recent training camp in Norfolk  clear to see the bond in both directions, the fans enjoying it as were the players.
The point I was making is that Tigers are developing the game rather than stunting any development, indeed as I player I too wished to play for them, just wasn't up to the grade.  
The article makes out that it was the RFU who put Norfolk into the Tigers academy catchment, when in fact the connection with Norfolk was there before academies existed, sure you know the Youngs brothers Dad played for the Tigers, long before the RFU had any attachment, maybe my rather short reply didn't go into enough detail.                                                                             

Edited by tigerburnie - 30 Aug 2023 at 21:59
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 08:38
I took it as a good news story.
Not really a surprise that the sons of an England International are good at rugby.

I didn't see how this catchment theory stunts local rugby in the area.

We're in Milton Keynes. Nominally a wasps county but it's Saints country really.

Edited by Paul10 - 31 Aug 2023 at 08:38
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 09:45
Whatever a 'Wasps' county is...
Our City,
Our Club
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 16:15
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Presumably one that owes a shedload of money which it has no intention of paying.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 21:17
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Presumably one that owes a shedload of money which it has no intention of paying.
Sounds fair.
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic