National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Club photographers - issue resolved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club photographers - issue resolved
    Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 07:48
My good lady has been photographer at Wharfedale RUFC https://www.flickr.com/photos/128183691@N04/ for the past 10 years, during this time she has barely missed any games home or away in both Nat 1 and Nat 2 and has never had a single issue taking photographs pitch side of the fence. 

Yesterday at LYMM  RUFC she was told by the 4th official (doing the job for the 1st time) that he would have to get permission from the team of three for her to do so. This was an RFU 3G pitch, but identical too many that she has photographed on in the past. Hi Viz top and studded boots were in place, but when the 4th official eventually managed to speak to the assistant referee, apparently he said no.

Photography in Rugby it's all about getting low to the action with an unobstructed view, impossible from outside the fence. I'm wondering if there is any new instruction from the RFU about photography? But to me it is absolutely pathetic, the game is crying out for good PR.   Photographs are a terrific way of getting across what the  game is about.
We had a round trip from our home of 240 miles yesterday and it felt like a stab in the back for volunteers.

Edited by backrowb - 17 Sep 2023 at 19:35
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 07:57
No there is nothing new regarding photographers
So many Christians not enough Lions
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 09:06
At lower levels it's common for refs to insist no-one comes inside the fence (rope) except first aid.

It's fussy refereeing but I get it when the ref can't tell who's who and literally anyone could be the first aid.

Experienced refs would let it slide. A new ref asked the question and the only answer was no-one inside the fence.

Hopefully it's a one off.
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 10:13
I imagine the key would be to approach the referee either as he/she arrives at the club (chance to think it over) or as he/she emerges from the dressing room to warm up. Gives an inexperienced referee the chance to consult with their assessor/coach
We were level 5 last year and regularly had visitors who bought an "official photographer". Every referee last season was fine with the obvious photographer. Level 6 this year and no visiting photographer yesterday.
We have a self funded 3G pitch and have footwear regulations to adhere to in addition to any restrictions the referee may impose
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 12:38
Most clubs I've been to, it's been as long as they don't interfere with the match, they can go wherever they like as the refs don't really mind. The only time I've seen it happen at community level where the ref has enforced that "no coming inside the rope" rule was a RFU Intermediate Cup national semi-final as I suspect they had to as RFU reps were there. 

Likewise for 3Gs, the photographer for our club knows and always wears studs when visiting a club that has one. But that being said, whenever I have gone to 3G clubs, no one has ever actually checked or challenged it when people go on without the right footwear.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 12:51
All it really takes is a bit of common sense surely?
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 13:21
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

All it really takes is a bit of common sense surely?

One would have hoped so
pen 15 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pen 15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 09:18
I have taken a few snaps over the years ,and only once been told to go the other side of the barrier .Darlington MP.Never had a problem otherwise ,I always ask who does the opposition press and ask if they would like any pictures if I get a good one of their lads ,tell the ref where the pictures will be posted, and offer any of them in action if they pass on an email,i post mine on FB as well and its a small world when people start sharing them, and have had messages from people in NZ OZ AND SA.They must be a bit odd in Lymm
is it stours year yet
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 10:46
Originally posted by pen 15 pen 15 wrote:

I have taken a few snaps over the years ,and only once been told to go the other side of the barrier .Darlington MP.Never had a problem otherwise ,I always ask who does the opposition press and ask if they would like any pictures if I get a good one of their lads ,tell the ref where the pictures will be posted, and offer any of them in action if they pass on an email,i post mine on FB as well and its a small world when people start sharing them, and have had messages from people in NZ OZ AND SA.They must be a bit odd in Lymm

I would hope the ref and his two assistants weren't from Lymm!
MikeGC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 11:18
I doubt that the referee and/or his/her assistants were from Lymm
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 06:50
She got asked for her press accreditation by security at Darlington MP.
Our then Chairman soon put them right LOL

Press accreditation.....FFS

Edited by backrowb - 07 Sep 2023 at 06:51
Neasham View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 11:53
To be fair the Arena is a properly licensed sports stadium where a different criteria operates. It’s not although you can duck underneath a rope to stand on the touchline. 
BruceElliott View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BruceElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 13:21
I've never had an issue at any level 5/6 Club for a normal league fixture and I've been our club photographer since 2004, covering over 300 first XV matches. 

I applied for accreditation when we played the intermediate cup final at Twickenham, and was granted it. 

I walk the sideline, but I tend to be about 20m ahead of play, and back off to the fence if the play is approaching faster than I can move up. 

There's a degree of common sense involved in how you do the job, but if you're halfway sensible there's no reason any ref should direct a photographer to move behind the fence.

I would be royally hacked off. 
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 19:37
Official guidance was asked for and RFU has come back with :

1. the photographer is officially appointed by the club which i
believe Wharfedale is
2. the photographer wears a distinctive top / bib to indicate their
role which i believe Wharfedale's does!
3. stays well away from players, medics and match officials

Apparently this guidance should be sent to the clubs and the NCA.

Well done the refs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic