National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Jersey Reds - Administration???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WILD BOAR View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILD BOAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 09:28
Have Coventry been informed by the RFU that their match at Jersey on 21st October is off yet?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 09:17
Not just the Championship, it also applies to the Premiership - the Championship would kill for 7,000 crowds. And on a smaller scale, it happens further down the leagues.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 08:39
Well said Fly-Half.

Championship Clubs need to be honest with regard to their limitations re: sponsorship, support and income. They need to reduce their squad sizes (on and off the field), reduce their wage bill and stop trying to 'keep up with the jones's' by paying players with grants and subsidies that are intended to support their Club as a whole.  
All Knwoing All Seeing
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 07:49
Originally posted by Bedford Bear Bedford Bear wrote:

Not as I understood it.  There was loan funding and tax payers money used for grant funding.

Absolutely correct Bedford.

Its about time Union fans stopped thinking the world owes rugby a living. 'The Gove should write off
our debts/loans, the Council should build us a ground, our sugar daddy should give us more money etc, etc, etc.

The solution to the financial crisis in rugby is very simple. Reduce players salaries by approx 20% across the board and reduce squad and ancillary sizes by approx 20%. You then immediately have a financially sound game.

Stop pretending and protesting that we need a squad size of 50 players but a dozen coaches and analysts, stop paying £500,000 for a 20 st unfit loosehead, who plays a dozen games of 50 mins, infront of of a 7,000 crowd.

Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 17:11
Not as I understood it.  There was loan funding and tax payers money used for grant funding.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 15:50
What tax payers money into the Premiership? There were government business loans during the covid pandemic that were available to many businesses other than rugby and is now being repaid. Worcester and Wasps seem to have been badly run, not too sure about Irish as there seems to be less information there, those three clubs were on a collision course with the wall due to debts they could not repay, Premiership clubs are now making those payments, or at least I know the Tigers are.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 15:07
Originally posted by Bedford Bear Bedford Bear wrote:

Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Looking at the ‘unseen’ cost to the Island, I was in St. Aubin last night. For those who don’t know, St. Aubin’s is a very pretty village with a marina, a few hotels, restaurants and bars, which sits across the bay from St. Helier. It is about 2 miles from the rugby club and is served really well by a good bus route. After Reds games St. Aubin is normally rammed with people who have been to the game. The Traff public house is normally jumping. We were supposed to play Ealing last night (so sorry guys), but obviously couldn’t. St. Aubin was like a ghost town…. And the person who runs the Parish voted against the motion in the states. I wonder if his business owners are thanking him for that decision!!

I think you are forgetting the very 'seen' cost to the island of the hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money contributed to the club in the last few years. 

Small fry compared to the amount of UK taxpayers’ money poured into Premiership Rugby clubs to stop them going bust estimated to be £124 million which didn't stop the loss of 3 premiership clubs

Absolutely but that is of course and entirely different argument. 
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 17:13
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Looking at the ‘unseen’ cost to the Island, I was in St. Aubin last night. For those who don’t know, St. Aubin’s is a very pretty village with a marina, a few hotels, restaurants and bars, which sits across the bay from St. Helier. It is about 2 miles from the rugby club and is served really well by a good bus route. After Reds games St. Aubin is normally rammed with people who have been to the game. The Traff public house is normally jumping. We were supposed to play Ealing last night (so sorry guys), but obviously couldn’t. St. Aubin was like a ghost town…. And the person who runs the Parish voted against the motion in the states. I wonder if his business owners are thanking him for that decision!!

I think you are forgetting the very 'seen' cost to the island of the hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money contributed to the club in the last few years. 

Small fry compared to the amount of UK taxpayers’ money poured into Premiership Rugby clubs to stop them going bust estimated to be £124 million which didn't stop the loss of 3 premiership clubs
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 16:09

corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 16:56

I find it difficult to criticize the politicians mate. Your support has been epic but the attendances last season show the general level of public support was probably less than half the numbers they get at Blues & Cov in a season the Reds won the league. The numbers I assume include the 200 proper people who pay to watch & eat in the clubhouse and the average is inflated hugely by the last couple of games. If the supporters contribute only £150 for a season ticket its a big ask to look to the tax payer to contribute. I list the attendances last season as quoted on the match reports:
Tiggers 1728
Irish 1227
Bath 1202
Coventry 1112
Pirates 1385
Donny 1237
Pury 908
Mond 1074
Blues 1090
Scottish 1275
Ealing - Cup 1166
Archers - Cup 1204
Caldy 1271
Pury 1068
Archers   1242
Ealing  3032
Amps 2767
Total 23988
Average 1499
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 14:11
The buying of success is the problem with rugby and pro-sport. Wage inflation and boom and bust naturally follows. Hopefully Bill and the RFU are doing everything they can to eradicate this LOL
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 13:36
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

.......The other costs of coaches, insurance & medical support staff will increase this but only exacerbates the lack of transparency when global figures are bandied about without defining what they include or their source.

With Itoje allegedly looking for £1m there must be some Championship players who are on a premium package. If you add in car, accommodation, flights for foreign players, pension contributions etc. Nowhere near Itoje but based on my experience, surely some in the £50k + package band.

Neverless, until the RFU grab the nettle of monthly reporting - both players and current preferential creditors, PAYE, VAT, Pension, Student Loan etc, at a minimum then this situation will continue.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 13:34
Tackle Low!!!!!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 12:00
The minimum legal wage in Jersey is I believe £10.50 per hour and assuming a 35 hour week and 52 weeks a year would gross up to £19,110 which together with the standard employer social costs would result in a minimum legal cost per player of around £22K. The figure I heard quoted as the average cost of players was £26K which is a about 20% above the legal minimum but somewhere close to the living wage. I believe Jersey had 35 players which if we use the figure quoted would give a total player only cost of £910K. The other costs of coaches, insurance & medical support staff will increase this but only exacerbates the lack of transparency when global figures are bandied about without defining what they include or their source.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
IslandLife View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IslandLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 10:57
I would assume they are made up “guesstimates” based on no real information.

It does highlight one of the problems in the Championship - all the clubs basically try and pitch themselves as the “poor” one. Always claiming they are paying next to nothing, and any suggestion otherwise is untrue. I don’t know what the reality is - but that is certainly part of the problem.

There should be a requirement for ALL clubs to be transparent and publish information on what they are paying players, coaches, administration etc. along with sources of funding (including if there is a rich guy investor who could one day pull out).

Clubs go bust out of nowhere due to lack of due diligence. Step one is actually making everyone be a lot more open about their finances so everyone can see what is actually going on. 

If we get at least that we can start looking at proper rules around managing those finances and try and stop more clubs failing out of nowhere.

Edited by IslandLife - 07 Oct 2023 at 11:51
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 10:52
I have just read the document produced by Jersey Reds and any sympathy I had for them is quickly disappearing.
The proposed playing budget for the Pirates at £2M is way off the mark.
I do wonder where they got these figures or was it a desperate last throw of the dice in the hope that the Jersey government would roll over and agree to a further bail out.
These are the figures and I would be interested to hear what supporters from the other clubs think.
Ealing £4M+
Coventry £2•5M+
Doncaster £2M+
Pirates £2M
Jersey Reds £1•1M
Dalesman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 10:26
..and that Jersey case also claims Doncaster and Pirates staff costs were £2million also. Surely not?
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 10:09
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

While my sympathy for the Jersey players, staff, and supporters remains intact, I am finding it much harder to have much sympathy for the jersey management.

The statement linked below issued by Coventry rugby Club states that in the proposal to gain more funding from the Jersey State, the Jersey Reds used inaccurate comparative information about Coventry Rugby Club overstating the level of player spending by Coventry.

I obviously don't know whether the Jersey proposal was knowingly inaccurate or just mistaken, but whichever way, the factor of a 200% over assessment of Coventry spending is significant and potentially very damaging to Coventry and it's sponsors. 

It is also not clear from Coventry's statement whether other clubs were also mis-described In this way.

The days of the Trumpian Truth are certainly here to stay.
Our City,
Our Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 09:39
It looks like Jersey spent £500k more than 2 seasons ago when they were still competitive. Why on earth not cut that budget and keep the club. Although I did also hear that substantial bonuses were paid for winning the league last year. What substantial means and if true who knows.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 09:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic