National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Who makes up the numbers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 15:15
Yes I would. Whilst any club at any level going under will have ramifications for others in that league, i would suggest that this will be amplified depending on the level that club was playing at - ie the losses Prem clubs absorbed when Warriors, Wasps and Irish went under, will dwarf those that Cambridge, Caldy...or to answer your question, those in Nat 2E would suffer in the unfortunate event that Guernsey folded one day. Yes I'd be the first to say that it is of course all relative depending on the league a particular club is playing in. 

To clarify, no one is suggesting that clubs are unaffected by losing a fixture during the season, the point is that the effects of this will differ significantly depending on what level that club is playing at.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 16:38
I think
The RFU should enter a team, pay for it and manage it and see how much it costs them!!!!!!
Run with it
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 16:56
Jersey have suffered an insolvency event so they are out for this season and theoretically down to Level 10 assuming they can resolve their administration. Best solution is to back Jersey Amateurs

Contrary to my previous post, any manufactured team would mean that there would be no relegation.....or would the 10/10 plan cause chaos in promotion and relegation?
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 19:34
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

London Welsh died in 16/17, and everyone in the Championship except Scottish lost a game.
On the bright side, Cambridge were not relegated that season due to London Welsh's demise.

Old Elthamians demise was 21/22, having managed to complete the covid restricted 19/20 season with second string players, and then there was no season in 20/21.

Technically we also had Scottish deciding not to play during Covid.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 19:39
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I assume travel insurance may repay the cost of not going to jersey.
Given the extra cost of going to Jersey, if you can get that money back, it softens the blow considerably.

But, whether in National 1 or the Championship, it is a loss of £15k to £25k of match day revenue
Some clubs have backers who will turn round and fill that, others don't - and the national 1 sides are manly in the latter camp.

I suspect the cost of insuring against that would be too high for most clubs to take on.

Although season tickets are still sold, at Blues you’re looking at more like £60k lost revenue from all the hospitality and ticket sales. I imagine they will probably get Cambridge Uni in or somehow fill the void. Even if it is a Saints A team which would attract a lot of Saints supporters too.
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 11:03
Bill Sweeney waffling on about England winning six nations and world cups today. The man is deranged and deluded. Like he is sitting in a bunker moving long dead troops around on an ever shrinking map… meanwhile the game he is custodian of is imploding. What even is Premiership 2? Does anyone know what it will look like? Jersey didn’t and that’s why they couldn’t get investment right? He says the RFU will talk to the Govt in Jersey to support Reds. I thought the govt in jersey just voted not to support the reds?!? What is going on? Why has there not been a vote of no confidence in him?
Forever Green.
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 12:06
Originally posted by Woody Woody wrote:

Bill Sweeney waffling on about England winning six nations and world cups today. The man is deranged and deluded. Why has there not been a vote of no confidence in him?

There is a Petition on Change.org - Petition For Bill Sweeney to resign as RFU CEO

Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 14:16
Signed and shared.

Since my post Jersey have announced liquidation which is tragic.

Why then, was Mr Sweeney only yesterday saying the RFU was going to talk to the Govt next? The ship had sailed.
Why did the RFU not know about the financial situation at Jersey if they had recently had talks with them about European rugby? Is there no check to be passed for that like there is for the Perm?
Claiming ignorance and appearing to help after the horse has bolted is not big or clever.
We see you Bill. Do the decent thing...
Forever Green.
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 14:34
Signed and shared.

Since my post Jersey have announced liquidation which is tragic.

Why then, was Mr Sweeney only yesterday saying the RFU was going to talk to the Govt next? The ship had sailed.
Why did the RFU not know about the financial situation at Jersey if they had recently had talks with them about European rugby? Is there no check to be passed for that like there is for the Perm?
Claiming ignorance and appearing to help after the horse has bolted is not big or clever.
We see you Bill. Do the decent thing...
Forever Green.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic