National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

League Positions 23/24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 00:03
Cambridge's chairman is trying to get some clarity from the RFU, because if we can get confirmation there is no relegation the season might be long, but would not be quite so stressful.

We do not want there to be another season going to the last weekend needing to win and Caldy to lose.
Sweeney Delenda Est
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 21:54

Sure, I'll throw one out here.

Tier 1 - Champions

1. Ealing - The key here is whether or not they can be more than the sum of their parts. I'd like to see if they recruit any coaches after the world cup cycle ends.

Tier 2

2. Coventry - From what I've seen, look really strong and have some amazing players. I don't know about their depth.

3. Bedford - Seems like they are not going to take as many dual reg players, which could lead to a more cohesive squad. Between that, and their home advantage, I see them coming in near the top.

4. Doncaster - Played Ealing very close at home, but total thrashing this last weekend. Not sure who will show up.

5. Pirates - We'll see how things go after the crowd funding, but the fact that they are taking a lot of DRs from Ealing is not a great sign. I still think that their professionalism and coaching will keep them above the other teams.

Tier 3 - These could really be any order (I honestly don't see any reason to change this from previous posts).

6. Ampthill - Solid all round team

7. Nottingham - Best backs of these teams

8. Hartpury - As always, depends on Gloucester link 

9. Caldy - Pack will ensure grind out some home wins in the winter

10. London Scottish - Better than last year

Tier 4 - Bottom

11. Cambridge - Long season.

*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 21:26
I think Bedford will probably finish above Pirates, hope I'm wrong!
*Stalwart
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 17:34
My tuppence worth is as follows:

Ealing should win the league but I expect Coventry to push them all the way. It might just come down to how they get on against one another.

I then expect Doncaster, Cornish Pirates, and Bedford to constantly represent a challenge to anyone who plays them.

And that leaves the remaining six clubs to battle it out in the bottom half of the table.

1 Ealing
2 Coventry
3 Doncaster
4 C Pirates
5 Bedford
6 Ampthill
7 Hartpury
8 Nottingham
9 Caldy
10 L Scottish
11 Cambridge

And the sad thing for me is I am not especially over-excited about the new season. It has that "same old, same old" feeling.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 15:22
Caldy have a lot of new signings as players in the North West have gravitated to the Paton Field Stadium but in general these are young players with promise rather than experienced battle hardened Championship regulars.

Yesterday's game at Falcons was somewhat of a testament to that as a lack of experience at Championship level led to somewhat of a drubbing. However, I was very pleased that across the Premiership Cup games pretty much all of Caldy's 1st & 2nd xv squad have picked up some valuable game time against full time sides.

There are some exciting talents coming through and although Caldy and Ampthill are by some distance the smallest clubs in the league I expect them to battle and compete 
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 00:11
I do not know how well Ampthill or Caldy have recruited since they were in Nat 1, but I know Cambridge are stronger than when we last played them.

The game at the fairy dell a week on Saturday will tell us a lot.

Oddly, historically, we win there.
Even in their promotion season, we won 6-13 - in the teeth of Storm David.
However, they usually beat us at Grantchester Rd.

Edited by Camquin - 09 Oct 2023 at 00:25
Sweeney Delenda Est
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 20:59

Can’t really disagree with that too much. I’m going for a 4 tier approach:

Tier 1 - Champions

1. Ealing. Should be winning every game. May lose one or 2 away to “tier 2” teams but anything but really no excuse not to win the league comfortably 

Tier 2

2. Coventry - Best of rest. May pose challenge to Ealing if can keep key players (Kvesic, Chudley, Pellegrini, Rigg) fit all season.

3. Bedford - Should have much stronger scrum than last season to complement existing exciting back line. Will be less reliant on Saints contingent than previous couple of seasons barring injuries.

4. Doncaster - Some solid signings.

5. Pirates - Partly depends on quality of Chiefs contingent.

Tier 3 - These could really be any order 

6. Ampthill - Solid all round team

7. Nottingham - Best backs of these teams

8. Hartpury - As always, depends on Gloucester link 

9. Caldy - Pack will ensure grind out some home wins in the winter

10. London Scottish - Better than last year

Tier 4 - Bottom

11. Cambridge - Long season.

Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 19:29
As now we have a bit of a “form” guide from the cup competition here is my guess for the 23/24 league positions:

Both won’t have it their own way and will lose a few along the way.
1. Coventry - I think they could do it
2. Trailfinders - Wouldn’t be surprised if they did come top

3. Blues - If we play like we did against Tigers we should be up with the top 2, but it comes down to our away form and playing the “lesser” clubs. Big game first up, home to Ealing!
4. Knights - lost a lot of good player but replaced them with a lot of good players
5. Pirates - Think they may be a little off the top 4 but clear of 6th

You can flip a coin here for the order!
6.Hartpury - dependent on who goes there
7.Nottingham - started off strong and then have faded away the last few seasons
8.Caldy - their scrum didn’t appear as strong last year but their home form will be good

9. Scottish - depends on who gets parachuted in so could be below Ampthill
10. Ampthill - could be above Scottish
11. Cambridge - could be a long season but who knows, could just survive and bonus points are key

Promoted - no one
Relegated - who knows
Date clubs to be told what’s happening in the 24/25 season - 2032 if we are lucky!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic