National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

No Relegation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Relegation
    Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 18:29
Just seen it announced

1. No relegation from the Championship
2. ND1 champions to be promoted
3. Play-off for the winners of the Championship… if they meet the MSC!

Personally think bottom should have a play-off with 2nd top of ND1.
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 18:53
Yes I like that idea of bottom playing 2nd top in Nat 1, it would inject some extra spice and jeopardy into proceedings, and add to the overall excitement at the end of the season for the fans!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 08:53
So the Premiership/RFU still haven't learned, they're still being protectionist. Not content with the MSC unjustly blocking clubs from promotion, they want to put another hurdle behind it with a playoff. You get the feeling the Old Boys clubs really are locked away with their prawn sandwiches and completely out of touch with the realities of the situation English rugby is in.

Edited by Robb - 20 Oct 2023 at 08:53
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 12:48
Strange that there is going to be promotion into the championship as I thought that it was the intention of the RFU and PRL to create two leagues of 10 under the new professional game agreement for season 2024-25.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 12:52
Originally posted by Pirate Pig Pirate Pig wrote:

Strange that there is going to be promotion into the championship as I thought that it was the intention of the RFU and PRL to create two leagues of 10 under the new professional game agreement for season 2024-25.

I can quite see them going the rugby league route and having two leagues of 10 with entry not being linked to league positions at the time or even to clubs which exist at the time.
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 12:58
Drip feeding bits rather than letting clubs know what the hell is going on?
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 13:40
I was listening to the latest Champ Club Podcast earlier and unless I misheard, it seems that the new restructure will not now be taking place until a year later for the 2025/26 season. More kicking of the can!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 13:47
Wasps still can't find anyone to buy them a franchise then?
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 14:47
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

I was listening to the latest Champ Club Podcast earlier and unless I misheard, it seems that the new restructure will not now be taking place until a year later for the 2025/26 season. More kicking of the can!

I heard this too, and literally groaned out loud. I think that they are just planning to kick the can until the whole edifice topples over, then someone can buy Twickenham for a song.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 15:20

Yes I like that idea of bottom playing 2nd top in Nat 1, it would inject some extra spice and jeopardy into proceedings, and add to the overall excitement at the end of the season for the fans!

Riiight....

It seems to me that the solution to 2000 clubs kicking off about the clubs in the top tier looking after themselves and pulling up the drawbridge is not to buy off the most vociferous critics at level 2 by making them the right side of the drawbridge, and leaving what's still basically 2000 clubs to twist in the wind. 

You say 'jeopardy' - lovely, on whose side? The team that wins the league below, or the team with some central funding that they have to get past? It's all very well saying 'if they can't beat the bottom Championship side then they don't deserve to go up', but it isn't a level playing field. 

At least an actual ring-fence is honest and open. All that idea would do is double the number of clubs worthy of contempt for nodding it through while they're on the right side of the line.

Yes, I know it's only an idea. But it needs killing with fire, as we used to say in the fleet.
keep the faith
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 15:23
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Pirate Pig Pirate Pig wrote:

I can quite see them going the rugby league route and having two leagues of 10 with entry not being linked to league positions at the time or even to clubs which exist at the time.

Agree. It's like the dawn of Super League all over again. Clubs being really involved in setting it all up and then being told e.g. Keithley, at the eleventh hour 'we know you've won the league but you're not coming up because we need space for a new team in Paris.' Keithley and Featherstone Rovers at one point a couple of years back had figures for how much money they thought they'd been done out of by being taken round the back and shot before the first Super League season to make way for Paris and Gateshead. 
keep the faith
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 15:51
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

[QUOTE=Se7en]Yes I like that idea of bottom playing 2nd top in Nat 1, it would inject some extra spice and jeopardy into proceedings, and add to the overall excitement at the end of the season for the fans!

Riiight....

It seems to me that the solution to 2000 clubs kicking off about the clubs in the top tier looking after themselves and pulling up the drawbridge is not to buy off the most vociferous critics at level 2 by making them the right side of the drawbridge, and leaving what's still basically 2000 clubs to twist in the wind. 

You say 'jeopardy' - lovely, on whose side? The team that wins the league below, or the team with some central funding that they have to get past? It's all very well saying 'if they can't beat the bottom Championship side then they don't deserve to go up', but it isn't a level playing field. 

At least an actual ring-fence is honest and open. All that idea would do is double the number of clubs worthy of contempt for nodding it through while they're on the right side of the line.

Yes, I know it's only an idea. But it needs killing with fire, as we used to say in the fleet.

‐‐---------‐-‐-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But of course I wasn't talking about the top tier, meaning much of your ramblings are irrelevant to the point at hand. It is clear that the game is in a period of flux/evolution, which generally means that many ideas could and probably should be on the table. And they are just that, ideas, so I wouldn't let it wind you up as much as it appears to have done. 

Of course the beauty of this forum is that everyone, whichever 'fleet' they may or may not belong to, has the opportunity to put forward their opinions and suggestions for discussion, and long may that continue.

Edited by Se7en - 20 Oct 2023 at 15:54
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 16:34

Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

[QUOTE=Se7en]Yes I like that idea of bottom playing 2nd top in Nat 1, it would inject some extra spice and jeopardy into proceedings, and add to the overall excitement at the end of the season for the fans!

Riiight....

‐‐---------‐-‐-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But of course I wasn't talking about the top tier, meaning much of your ramblings are irrelevant to the point at hand. It is clear that the game is in a period of flux/evolution, which generally means that many ideas could and probably should be on the table. And they are just that, ideas, so I wouldn't let it wind you up as much as it appears to have done. 

Of course the beauty of this forum is that everyone, whichever 'fleet' they may or may not belong to, has the opportunity to put forward their opinions and suggestions for discussion, and long may that continue.

Oh I'm not wound up - if anything I was laughing at what I thought was the hypocrisy. 

However, looking back I see that I misread the post I was responding to, and that the idea is bottom playing second top, not bottom playing top. So I apologise. 

I hold my hand up to irrelevant ramblings, but not for the reason that you might have thought. In fact, perhaps my irrelevant ramblings might now make more sense - even though off target.

Have a lovely weekend.
keep the faith
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 16:35
But the consultation has taken place, frame work agreed, just the fine detail and it would be released to all, well at least that's what the RFU intimated months ago, now it's nothing for the championship apart from a team comes up at the end of the season to replace the lost Jersey Reds, well that's revolutionary. Nothing at all for Nat1 except one promotion, no mention of relegation/split leagues into North/South, so the National leagues still in the mushroom department, kept in the dark and fed manure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic