National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Wasps in Kent - Event Date: 24 Oct 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Wasps in Kent
    Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 07:19
So Wasps are now looking to settle in Kent and build a new ground and sports complex there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67193921

Is it just me that finds this new proposal ridiculous and repulsive? They went into liquidation owing 95 million pounds! And now it seems they can just pop up again, obviously with the funds, to build a new sports complex. And unbelievably, Sevenoaks CC think it is a great idea. Are they mad?
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 07:55
Is anybody on this site from a community club near Coventry?

Interested if wasps made any impact.

Nominally, my club (in north Bucks) was in their pathway but I think that was largely ignored and everyone carried on looking to Saints.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 08:25
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

So Wasps are now looking to settle in Kent and build a new ground and sports complex there.

Is it just me that finds this new proposal ridiculous and repulsive? They went into liquidation owing 95 million pounds! And now it seems they can just pop up again, obviously with the funds, to build a new sports complex. And unbelievably, Sevenoaks CC think it is a great idea. Are they mad?

It does make one wonder if there maybe something going on behind the scenes because I know Coventry and Tigers weren't happy about Wasps Wanderers turning up on their doorstep. The fact Sevenoaks seem willing to jump into bed with them out of the blue looks a bit strange to me.

The rest of the Kent and south east London clubs are quite likely outraged and disgusted by this idea as I am. The arrogance that they can just plant themselves in Kent and gain a fanbase at the expense of the established community clubs is just beyond belief.  I always thought the RFU required them to play at least 2 years in their old "home" area in order to be considered a continuation. They are going to be a new club with no continuity, they are nothing more than the MK Dons of English rugby, a franchise to be reviled and boycotted. Why were they not looking to develop Wasps FC anyway?

I hope the RFU do the right thing and force them to start in Kent Counties 5 but I shan't hold my breath that sporting integrity will be maintained.

Edited by Robb - 24 Oct 2023 at 08:27
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 08:46
I put elsewhere Sevenoaks RFC couldn’t get planning permission when they tried to relocate about 20 years ago due mainly to local opposition so cannot see that this has changed in fact probably got worse. Any available land in that area would be snapped up by developers for housing in a very expensive place to live
So many Christians not enough Lions
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 08:46
Surely the RFU will not allow a club who went bust owing 95 million to creditors to start again in Prem 2 and use the name Wasps. 
As you say Robb I shan’t hold my breath 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 08:54
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

It does make one wonder if there maybe something going on behind the scenes because I know Coventry and Tigers weren't happy about Wasps Wanderers turning up on their doorstep. The fact Sevenoaks seem willing to jump into bed with them out of the blue looks a bit strange to me.

The rest of the Kent and south east London clubs are quite likely outraged and disgusted by this idea as I am. The arrogance that they can just plant themselves in Kent and gain a fanbase at the expense of the established community clubs is just beyond belief.  I always thought the RFU required them to play at least 2 years in their old "home" area in order to be considered a continuation. They are going to be a new club with no continuity, they are nothing more than the MK Dons of English rugby, a franchise to be reviled and boycotted. Why were they not looking to develop Wasps FC anyway?

I hope the RFU do the right thing and force them to start in Kent Counties 5 but I shan't hold my breath that sporting integrity will be maintained.

They've said that they may be based at Sixways to begin with (prior to constructing this state-of-art ground Confused) - that's a long way for Kentish clubs at the bottom of the pyramid to travel for away games...

Edited by islander - 24 Oct 2023 at 08:56
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 09:06
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

They've said that they may be based at Sixways to begin with (prior to constructing this state-of-art ground Confused) - that's a long way for Kentish clubs at the bottom of the pyramid to travel for away games...

Askeans, Greenwich and Sevenoaks IIIs aren't going to like that!
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 09:17
I just cannot see how it can possibly happen, they could not find an investor when they had a team and a ground and now think the will be able to fund a complete restart, it's not like they might entice some asset strippers, they don't have any.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 09:31
It does seem pie in the sky stuff.
*Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 09:54
Repulsive on every level. The arrogance is mind-boggling.
*Stalwart
One For The Ditch View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One For The Ditch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 12:18
I have to agree @Stalwart....Who do they think they are? A plethora of unpaid Rugby debts, a director being chased by HMRC for over half a million, and other creditors from the previous version hung out to dry. Kenny Logan was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning, he didn't reference the size of the previous failure either..............

Edited by One For The Ditch - 24 Oct 2023 at 12:22
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 12:47
I think this is just smoke and mirrors, either they will restart at 6ways and stay there or they will never start. Is Holland to be trusted? Is he just after the Worcester assets and has zero interest in Wasps? Wonder if the truth will ever come out of this sorry affair.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 12:37
I know the area where they are planning to relocate to quite well. Believe me, it is literally just off the M25 and there is absolutely nothing around there bar an industrial site across the road. West Kingsdown and Brands Hatch are about 3 or 4 miles down the road with a couple of villages in between.
If this were to happen, I am really struggling to see where their fan base would come from. Swanley, Orpington, Bromley, Dartford are all a drive to the area. There is no other way to get there and from any direction you are looking at 20/30 minutes…. Why would you bother?

Edited by Brizzer - 01 Nov 2023 at 12:39
Tackle Low!!!!!
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 12:53
Sarf Lunnon.
TV
Foolish investors.

Btw - why is this thread posted as an event? It's a complete non-event just killing time while newwasps try to worm their way around RFU regulations, as they know their money wouldn't support them all the way up the pyramid.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 13:16
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Sarf Lunnon.
TV
Foolish investors.

Btw - why is this thread posted as an event? It's a complete non-event just killing time while newwasps try to worm their way around RFU regulations, as they know their money wouldn't support them all the way up the pyramid.

Surely Wasps don't deal in their own money just other peoples. 
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 13:48
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

I know the area where they are planning to relocate to quite well. Believe me, it is literally just off the M25 and there is absolutely nothing around there bar an industrial site across the road. West Kingsdown and Brands Hatch are about 3 or 4 miles down the road with a couple of villages in between.
If this were to happen, I am really struggling to see where their fan base would come from. Swanley, Orpington, Bromley, Dartford are all a drive to the area. There is no other way to get there and from any direction you are looking at 20/30 minutes…. Why would you bother?

Wasps current thought process:

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 13:53
I thought it was more

Sweeney Delenda Est
John Butler42 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Butler42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 14:25
The sheer arrogance of this reported story to me is scandalous.
If the RFU allows this to happen then they too should hold their heads in shame, but then do they care who & what they upset.
I totally agree with a previous posting, if they do rise, then they should begin again at the bottom of the pile.
John Butler
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 09:14
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 10:25
The chances of them scamming the cash together to build that are zero, given their interesting record of looking after other people's money.
Our City,
Our Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic