National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Eddie Jones - Big in Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 13:29
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Does that mean the RFU have to reappoint him next.

Let’s hope not. He’s 63 & would I assume be aiming to go 4 years up to next RWC. Mind you, results would need to improve: 2 wins out of 9 with Wobblies this year, 5/12 with England in 2022…
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 17:41
Let's not forget what he did for England in the first three or four years as head coach. Few England supporters had any gripes then.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 17:59
Guess who Japan play next?...
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 22:04
I think Big Eddie would do well in Japan
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 10:12
In fairness to EJ, he shook up English rugby and refreshingly decided to pick players on form and not on reputation, you had to be the best player in your position in the country. Suddenly the Premiership improved as all players thought they had an equal chance . . . that lasted through to the first WC and his zenith was the semi final against NZ, the best rugby I have ever seen England play.

Then things started to change and rather than picking on form he picked on previous form . . so the likes of Billy Vunipola was continually picked ahead of numerous 8's in form etc etc so the decline began. He should have left after the first WC with a huge reputation     he is now mimicking a certain Jose Mariniho!

I hope Borthwick is brave an purely picks on form for the next 6 nations.
Run with it
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 11:50
Seems he was talking to Japan before the World Cup, never liked him, my abiding memory of 2003 is the look on his face and the Aussie PM when Martin Johnson raised the Web Ellis Cup
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 11:17
Japan head coach says 'no reason' team cannot be top-four side

There is no reason why Japan cannot become one of the world's top four teams, head coach Eddie Jones said.

Jones, 64, took charge of Japan, 12th in the world rankings, in December.

He left his previous role as Australia head coach after overseeing their worst display at a Rugby World Cup - they went out at the pool stage in France.

"We need to create a new style of play that is adventurous, that suits Japanese instincts, that is attacking," the former England boss said.

"There's no reason why we can't jump into the top four."

Jones, whose first game in charge is against England on 22 June, says he wants to bring on new talent, and find the rugby equivalent of Japanese baseball superstar Shohei Ohtani, a two-way player for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

He said: "It's about how we can make young players be really ambitious in wanting to be the best player they can and create the next rugby Ohtani."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic