National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Eddie Jones - Big in Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eddie Jones - Big in Japan
    Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 22:44
Australia head coach resigns following early Rugby World Cup exit

Eddie Jones has stepped down from his position as head coach of Australia.

Australia went out in the pool stage of the Rugby World Cup, the first time in the tournament's history that they had failed to reach the knockout stage.

Jones began a second spell in charge of the Wallabies in January and will officially step down on 25 November.

In a statement, Rugby Australia thanked Jones for his "commitment to the Wallabies in 2023" and wished him "the best in his future endeavours".

The statement added that an announcement over the future of Australia's caching staff would be made "in due course".

Australia were upset by Fiji and lost heavily to Wales in a disappointing 2023 campaign, eventually finishing third in their pool.

They won only two of their nine Tests after Jones' return, those victories coming against tier-two nations Georgia and Portugal at the World Cup.

The announcement comes after Rugby Australia had led an independent review into the team's performance at the World Cup.

Rugby Australia chief executive Phil Waugh is set to hold a media conference on Tuesday to address the fall-out from Jones' upcoming departure.

Chairman of Rugby Australia Hamish McLennan, who played a key role in getting Jones to return to the side for a second stint, said he will not quit following the disappointing World Cup campaign leading to Jones' resignation.

McLennan told the Sydney Morning Herald: "I came to rugby to find a way to fix it when it all fell over and despite the sad Eddie situation, this is another hurdle we'll overcome."

Edited by Steve@Mose - 13 Mar 2024 at 13:19
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 07:23
What's the difference between Eddie J & a box of Swan Vestas?
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 09:04
You get more matches out of a box of Swan Vestas?
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 09:18
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

You get more matches out of a box of Swan Vestas?

Clap
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 11:04
I can’t believe that the RFU kept Eddie on for so long. Something else Sweeney has to answer for!
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 11:24
He should've been kicked into touch after the last world cup. 
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 13:14
I didn't mind Eddie destroying Aussie rugby but I really hope he doesn't do the same to Japan.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 15:23
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

I didn't mind Eddie destroying Aussie rugby but I really hope he doesn't do the same to Japan.

I don’t think Eddie destroyed Aussie rugby. He went with the view get rid of the old boys Unfortunately the young ones he brought in weren’t good enough. Perhaps he should have stuck with Quade Cooper, Foley and Michael Hooper as Borthwick has done with England. Probably would have made semi final as well. 
Borthwick hasn’t got anyone offering him a new job. Eddie Jones supposedly has. He will be a very wealthy man after everyone has put their faith in him but may not be welcomed back to live in retirement in Australia. Not that I think he would give a toss

Edited by tulip - 31 Oct 2023 at 15:32
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 16:17
For the first time in my life I tend to agree with Ugo Monye, this stinks, the Aussies must be livid.
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 19:27
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

For the first time in my life I tend to agree with Ugo Monye, this stinks, the Aussies must be livid.
My son in law is from Melbourne. He didn’t even know who Eddie Jones was.
You’ve got AFL,Cricket, NRL,Soccer and then Rugby Union. 
The small minority of Aussies who support Rugby Union will be bothered but it won’t be big news

Edited by tulip - 31 Oct 2023 at 19:29
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 20:30
It does amaze me how a nation that dominated rugby 25 years ago fell so far and got surpassed by so many sports.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 06:37
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

It does amaze me how a nation that dominated rugby 25 years ago fell so far and got surpassed by so many sports.
Are you referring to England?
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 09:27
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Are you referring to England?
Don't remember England dominating World Rugby 25 years ago
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 10:00
Are we talking Australia. 
Cauliflower ear.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 18:57

It has always been the poor relation amongst those sports
RAID ON
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 08:15
Departing coach says he has no regrets over Wallabies exit

Eddie Jones insists he has no regrets about resigning as Australia head coach after less than a year in charge.

The Wallabies failed to reach the knockout stages of the recent World Cup, a first in their history.

"I went in there with a plan and the contract reinforced the plan and the commitment of both myself and Rugby Australia to fulfil obligations and we had a bit of discourse in the obligations," said Jones.

"So why should I have any regrets?"

"Post the World Cup there was always going to be a decision to be made whether we were going to change Australian rugby or not," said Jones.

"I went in with a plan and had a commitment from Rugby Australia what that looked like.

"When the unity of where we were going wasn't the same, not because of the lack of desire from Rugby Australia, but there's other forces at play, then the only thing I could do was resign.

"The results are disappointing, but I went in there with a plan to change Australian rugby, which not only involves the team, but the system to put it together.

"When you've had 20 years of unsuccessful rugby that's because of the system and the system needs to change.

"I went in with a plan of how to change the system and that's unable to be changed. I felt my job would be compromised for the next four years, which I wasn't prepared to do.

Jones continued: "The disappointing thing was I had a vision about what needed to be done and the two parties weren't able to come to an agreement on what needed to be done.

"I don't want to work for someone like that again because it's so hard. When you're a smaller [rugby] country like Australia, you need to have everyone working together.

"It makes it very difficult and you're relying on chance, on a couple of freak players to come through. You've got to be more purposeful about that."

Jones continually insists he does not have another job lined up. Last month it was reported that he was interviewed by Japan, whom he coached from 2012 to 2015, days before the World Cup started.

"I think it is a red herring," he added.

"Look at Australian rugby, over the last 20 years we have had no success, limited success and we needed to change things.

"Now we are trying to say a supposed interview was the reason why Australia had a bad World Cup. That is a load of rubbish."

Jones has ruled out the idea of coaching the British and Irish Lions on their 2025 tour of Australia.

"I have moved from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere," he said.

"I had my go with England, I loved coaching England, and I wouldn't want to be involved in the Lions. Not at all.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 09:36
English media are obsessed with him.

I have a friend who is a sports editor at a broadsheet.

As far as clicks go, Eddie Jones basically is rugby for him.

I explained I couldn't care less, EJ is just a coach. Give me more about matches.

He said, doesn't matter. The web traffic doesn't lie.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 12:14
A real shocker... 

Eddie Jones: Japan appoint former England coach for second time - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67703042 ;
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 12:42
Does that mean the RFU have to reappoint him next.
Sweeney Delenda Est
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 13:02
Only if he flukes a win against South Africa. Then we will pull out all the stops to get him without any proper interview process. We will then talk loudly about building towards something.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic