National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Wayne Barnes announces retirement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wayne Barnes announces retirement
    Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 13:34
Wayne Barnes: World Cup final referee announces retirement following final

England's Wayne Barnes has announced his retirement from refereeing following his appearance in last Saturday's Rugby World Cup final.

Barnes become the second Englishman to officiate a final after Ed Morrison who took charge in 1995.

The 44-year-old sent off New Zealand captain Sam Cane for a first-half high tackle, before South Africa won 12-11.

Barnes will continue to "advocate for referees" following reports he received death threats after the final.

In a statement, he added: "I will work closely with the International Rugby Match Officials' association to ensure match officials across the globe not only have a collective voice but also the appropriate support network for them and their families, particularly as online abuse and threats have become far too regular for all of those involved in the game."

Barnes made his Test debut refereeing Fiji against Samoa in June 2006 and went on to take charge of a record 111 Tests, which included officiating at five World Cups.

"Over the past 20 years, I have been in the middle of some of the greatest rugby matches in history. I have seen some of the world's best players and worked with some of the finest coaches the game has ever produced," he added.

"My children have missed out on time with their dad for far too long and I am now looking forward to family weekends, sports matches, school assemblies and birthday parties.

"My wife, Polly, has sacrificed more than anyone so that I have been able to achieve some of my personal goals."

Barnes refereed in 17 Six Nations tournaments, three European Champions Cup finals and 10 Premiership finals.

He was also named World Rugby's referee of the year in 2019.
sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 14:24
absolutely thankless task refereeing at all levels and in all sports. Must take its toll on those involved
Megrim View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 14:25
Better than Nigel Owens for me , though probably just  past his zenith. 
Suppose technically he didn't send off Sam Cane .

Colin Richards
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 14:40
A great referee, a gentleman and a great speaker. He will be missed on the pitch.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 14:59
Good for him.

As other have noted it isn't easy being "sir".
GreenThrough&Through View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenThrough&Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 15:28
A great loss to the game. A fantastic referee in my opinion.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 16:45
A great ref with an amazing love of the game. I have been amazed over the years to see him pop up in preseason matches between Ealing and Nat 1 opponents in the recent past.
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 16:50
Top referee & nice man. I remember some good banter from him to a particularly vocal home supporter at a Richmond pre season game he reffed. 
One Club
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 18:12
Enjoy retirement. Well done.
Guest speaker at my club later this year. 👏
Cauliflower ear.
donnyladinsheffield View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyladinsheffield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 19:42

Edited by donnyladinsheffield - 02 Nov 2023 at 19:43
He's alright and he don't care; He's got thermal underwear
donnyladinsheffield View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyladinsheffield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 19:43
Originally posted by Megrim Megrim wrote:

Better than Nigel Owens for me , though probably just  past his zenith. 
Suppose technically he didn't send off Sam Cane .

I think technically he might have.  IIRC after being told of the upgrade didn't he then show the red card?
He's alright and he don't care; He's got thermal underwear
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 21:17
Originally posted by donnyladinsheffield donnyladinsheffield wrote:

IIRC after being told of the upgrade didn't he then show the red card?

Well, I saw it!
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 22:26
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by donnyladinsheffield donnyladinsheffield wrote:

IIRC after being told of the upgrade didn't he then show the red card?

Well, I saw it!

I believe that when a TMO upgrades a yellow card review to a red card the referee is obliged to signify the upgrade by showing the red card to the offending player.
SKalpy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKalpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 23:05
Come on chaps. we on here we should know the procedure. Wayne, after consulting with the TMO issues a yellow which is then refered to the 'bunker'. Said 'bunker' official then communicates to the TMO that it is a red. TMO the tells WB to upgrade yellow to red. It is NOT  Wayne or the TMO but the guy in the bunker who sent the guy off.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 07:24
A great ref going out on a high, just a shame he might not do that tradition of refereeing the first match of qualifying for the next World Cup.
Shamrose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 11:35
I don’t realise he was senior partner in a law firm

Good ref who will be missed
dumbape View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 13:20
Top Chap!!

Back in the day he was incredibly helpful at Ealing as we were developing a referee section across the Club. He attended sessions supporting Middlesex Rugby too.   He always seemed to have the knack of explaining his decisions in a way that helped players/coaches and fans understand the decision.

Just a thought though - I'd love an irregular Podcast featuring him and Nigel Owens running through the 6N and this new format competition - that could be a right laugh and informative too!
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2023 at 00:25
Wayne Barnes: Rugby World Cup final referee on social media abuse he and family faced

Former rugby union referee Wayne Barnes says people "don't see the human side of refereeing" after describing the online abuse he and his family faced following the World Cup final.

Barnes retired a few days after taking charge of South Africa's 12-11 win over New Zealand in the final in Paris.

His wife, Polly, previously said Barnes received death threats after the match.

"When people make threats against your wife and kids, they should be held to account and punished," Barnes said.

Barnes has taken charge of a record 111 Tests, which included officiating at five World Cups.

He sent off New Zealand captain Sam Cane for a first-half high tackle in the final as South Africa retained their title.

In his first interview since announcing his retirement, Barnes said he believed social media abuse was getting worse.

"Threats of sexual violence, threats of saying we know where you live. It crosses that line," he told BBC sports editor Dan Roan.

"Social media is getting worse and it's the sad thing about the sport at the moment. It has not been a one-off.

"I'm on social media for numerous reasons. One is to promote the charitable work I do and to also promote officiating and to explain what a difficult job it is and to humanise it.

"I make that choice, and with that choice comes the ability for people to send messages of hate and violence."

Barnes said while he was able to "compartmentalise" the negative side of social media, he struggled when his family were subject to abuse.

"If you're a fan at your local rugby club and you're sending vile messages to people's families and making threats, why should you be able to be involved in the rugby family?" he said.

"The bit I've always struggled with and will continue to struggle with is when that abuse comes to my family.

"I want prosecuting agencies to consider ways of doing that, I want legislation of what social media sites can do to prevent it and I also want governing bodies to consider what they can do."

Barnes describes in his autobiography 'Throwing the Book' the abuse he has received in the past, which led him to consider quitting as a referee on several occasions.

The Englishman was also subjected to abuse after sending off France captain Antoine Dupont and South Africa flanker Steph du Toit in the Springboks' defeat in Mhazelnutille last year.

Barnes says it was a moment that could have fast-tracked his retirement as the abuse became more intense following criticism from South Africa director of rugby Rassie Erasmus.

"Without doubt, it was moment where you think 'why do we do this?'" he said

"But then you sit down and talk about it and realise there is only 10 months to go [until the World Cup] and you don't want the keyboard warriors to win."
MotuIgwok View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotuIgwok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 20:05
I would like him to change his mind if only to turn out at a random level 7 fixture just to freak everyone out.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 06:47
Originally posted by MotuIgwok MotuIgwok wrote:

I would like him to change his mind if only to turn out at a random level 7 fixture just to freak everyone out.

That would be awesome!
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic