National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Half way for most

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Half way for most
    Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 16:05
1Chinnor
2Rams
3Plymouth Albion
4Sedgley Park
5Rosslyn Park
6Birmingham Moseley
7Darlington Mowden Park
8Richmond
9Blackheath
10Bishop's Stortford
11Cinderford
12Sale FC
13Taunton Titans

14Leicester Lions

Edited by tigerburnie - 18 Dec 2023 at 16:12
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 16:33
Well the table might take forever to post due to some most odd software on this site, but it doesn't lie, we are where we are.
Have to say looking at it and the results so far, it sure is a tough, but open and competitive league, anyone can beat anyone on their day and indeed most have.
From my point of view I had hoped the Lions would have settled in and maybe picked up a few more points, but it is clear, it is a big step up for first time new boys, a steep learning curve. The head coach seems to be bullish about the second half, will be interesting, when looking up and down the league, there are no easy games that's for sure.
Did we expect Sedgley in the top 4, did we expect Sale FC in the bottom 4? Only two games where a side didn't trouble the scorer and  only 4 games where a side didn't score a try. 
No side is really breaking away yet either at the top, nor is anyone really adrift at the bottom either. Last season went to the wire at both ends of the table, looks like it could happen again.

Edited by tigerburnie - 18 Dec 2023 at 16:34
sedgley dave View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sedgley dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 17:33
League rugby has achieved what all its supporters hoped, 35 years ago. There were those who feared an explosion of violence and unpleasantness, and that has not happened at all.

What has happened, is that now clubs play match after match against teams of similar standard, within the framework of normal cycles of performance, and the games are great to watch, and must be fun to play.

Taking on the challenge of a higher league is always exciting, and a bit daunting. Are we really good enough? At Sedgley we got off to perhaps a lucky start, sneaking the game against Richmond, and four of our six home wins have been by 7 points or fewer [and 8 points, in the case of Lions]. Oddly, our three biggest wins have been away from home, as was our one heavy defeat.

Perhaps the most telling stat is that our for-and-against points difference currently stands at exactly zero.

One question. Are Blood & Sand actually enjoying themselves in the Championship? And could there be some promotion avoidance results at the end of this season? [Two questions!]

Edited by sedgley dave - 18 Dec 2023 at 18:21
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 18:11
We do not get enough games. Not helped by Jersey going bust.

We do need a win. It is coming, but it has been a long wait.
We should have beaten Amptill and Nottingham and it was galling that Coventry relied on tried from our old boys to beat us.

But I do think National 1 was a better league. And as a fan, I preferred the 16 team version, though I can understand it put a lot of stress on the players.

Crowds are up, we are getting over 1200 - and lunches have sold out.
SO from that point of view it is better.

And there is a huge difference between going to Ashton Gate instead of Hull. Even if we had a better result at Hull.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 12:47
Well if I’m honest I would like to be a couple of places higher and other than our Chinnor game when we didn’t turn up against the best side we have played we have been in most games until late on. The recent little blip has been disappointing but hopefully that’s it and we go into the second half and kick on. I think but haven’t checked that we have more home than away games and get both long away games out of the way in Jan (rearranged Sedgley Park & DMP) so they aren’t looming  in the background. Still it’s great to be back and this league doesn’t disappoint in the quality of opposition and sportsmanship even though we all want to win.

Happy Christmas everyone & let’s look forward to a great New Year
So many Christians not enough Lions
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 10:38
Happy Christmas  and prosperous New Year.
Cauliflower ear.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 11:39
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

We do not get enough games. Not helped by Jersey going bust.

We do need a win. It is coming, but it has been a long wait.
We should have beaten Amptill and Nottingham and it was galling that Coventry relied on tried from our old boys to beat us.

But I do think National 1 was a better league. And as a fan, I preferred the 16 team version, though I can understand it put a lot of stress on the players.

Crowds are up, we are getting over 1200 - and lunches have sold out.
SO from that point of view it is better.

And there is a huge difference between going to Ashton Gate instead of Hull. Even if we had a better result at Hull.
Well, you got your win - and richly deserved.
BTW, you should be happy for your 'old boys'. I'm always pleased to see ours do well at the top levels in England, Scotland, Wales, and France.
Merry Christmas!
Our City,
Our Club
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 21:51
Originally posted by sedgley dave sedgley dave wrote:

.........and could there be some promotion avoidance results at the end of this season? [Two questions!]

As with Camquin, I preferred National One, more rugby and it was comfortable, like an old pair of slippers !Wink

Championship has brought challenges in the full time / part time squad disparity and the D/R madness.

Having said that it's a good lesson to learn.

PS Promotion need not be accepted (I believe) but not sure if that's correct and the ramifications 
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 22:17
Delighted that Cambridge beat the empty vessel that is London Scottish ( that included 10 quins). I am sure they will build with here, as especially as no relegation this season.

Chinnor have splashed the cash and that mirrors their league position, Rams have been so consistent since they came into Nat 1 . . I cannot see any further than either of them for the title . . then a season in the Championship before the farce of Prem2.

I see no obvious contender for relegation, LL are hit and miss and need to string a few results but they have beaten the best. Not sure anyone from 8th downwards is safe yet. 

Nat 1 is such a briliant advert for rugby and hugely competitive, I would rather watch any NAt 1 game than the Premiership.
Run with it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic