National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 02:37
So Bill wants more geographic spread.
12 clubs only goes so far.
Bit radical, no silly cups. But 16 team league.

Cambridge is the furtherest East club in the region. London Irish henceforth Norfolk Irish (helps Bill spread out issue). Wuss, might be best in Worcester.

Mystery club in North.

Wasps in Kent.

There we go Bill, just slip £10 behind the bar when you come to town.

Looking forward to new beginnings.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 14:27
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Cambridge is the furtherest East club in the region. London Irish henceforth Norfolk Irish (helps Bill spread out issue). Wuss, might be best in Worcester.

Mystery club in North.

Wasps in Kent.

if Bill wants a greater geographical spread perhaps he could move his office to Ulaanbaatar? 
Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 16:37
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Mystery club in North.

Wasps in Kent.

There was me thinking English Rugby revolved around Bill
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 16:39
It seems we are in the realms of 'if you build it they will come'

What makes people think Wasps would be viable in Kent when they weren't in previous existences?
RAID ON
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 17:08
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

What makes people think Wasps would be viable in Kent when they weren't in previous existences?

I cannot see how. That area they're proposing does not have the infrastructure to support a 30k stadium nor will the Kentish men and Men of Kent (and women) back it because this is very much Sarries/Quin's established territory and local clubs will not want something that will likely take away their match going crowds right on their doorstep. Wasps Wanderers have no roots here and are not wanted by the county's rugby community.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 17:13

Probably the same approach that made them think they would be viable in Coventry.
Paul10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 17:26
Originally posted by JAB87 JAB87 wrote:

Interesting figure quoted in TheTelegraph advising that out of the total of 110 starts at inside centre in this season’s Premiership matches, 57 have been made by players who are not qualified to play for England.  In fairness, the figure of 57 includes 4 by a player who has moved to Japan mid-season.

Ollie Lawrence injured. Ojomoh called up.

Who's plugging the gap?

Got to be Slade, hasn't it?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 00:05
What would we want for the Championship?

Better coverage, ideally on Terrestrial TV
But given that there are Premiership games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, any live coverage offered is likely to be mid-week.

Could we schedule a week, when the TV company wants games on Mondays or Thursdays?

How much would your club need to move two home games to one of those days, and provide sufficient lights and camera positions.
I think it might be possible for a club to move their televised game or swap their games if the opposition has better facilities.

And would that differ if we were on BBC2, E4 or Talk Sports

I am sure that if we were on BBC TV, then BBC radio would mention us in the sports bulletins. SO I think that is worth much more.

If we were not offered live coverage, would we accept a weekly round-up programme - Rugby Special style - on Sunday or Monday?

Again, what could we offer, and what would we need?

And in either case, how much extra do we think we would get from our individual club sponsors by getting their logos on TV?

Talking of sponsors, what about a league sponsor.

How much would we sell that for - given the RFU may well cut their funding to match.

Of course, we are in a catch 22, the more eyes on the Championship, the more it is worth to a sponsor.
But we cannot run a marketing campaign without sponsorship money.
We are also going to find it easier to get sponsorship if we are on TV, and more likely to be invited onto TV if we have sponsors and larger gates.

I hate to give Bill any credit, but to some extent I know what he means by wanting an investable league.
If the Championship contained 12 clubs with large crowds, it would be much easier to sell.

Unfortunately that is not where we are, and you can only start from where you are, not where you want to be,

But, where I disagree, is that I do not see revivifying dead brands as a route to success.
And I blame lack of investment by the RFU over the last 20 years -and more importantly, the lack of coverage - as being at the root cause of the decline.

Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 12:25

Stupidity in the case of most who do and borderline criminality in the case of one or two of the rest I'd say. 
IainS View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 13:56
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I hate to give Bill any credit, but to some extent I know what he means by wanting an investable league.
If the Championship contained 12 clubs with large crowds, it would be much easier to sell.

Unfortunately that is not where we are, and you can only start from where you are, not where you want to be,

But if the Championship is currently not investible surely that's the fault of the RFU and they should blame themselves not the clubs.

If you create prohibitive rules for getting promoted from the second tier so that only one team can realistically go up (and for many years that being the team that just came down with a parachute payment) why be surprised that with no real promotion battle public interest is limited?

Until its recent belated interest in the second tier, the RFU has shown no interest in encouraging Championship clubs to prepare for the top level. If anything it has appeared to regard those who want to go up as a bit of a nuisance. 

The MSC rules put top tier rugby out of reach for all but maybe a couple of clubs. Lack of rules for the Championship mean almost anyone could join. No wonder therefore that the Championship comprises:

- Clubs who might in theory might want to go up but for whom reaching the required standards is at best a long-term aim.
- Clubs who have ruled out going up because they've had their fingers burnt before.
- Clubs who are glad to take advantage of the lack of barriers to second tier rugby (and good luck to them) but who would never aspire to go higher.

If, as Bill Sweeney now seems to say, they want more Exeters and more teams at tier 2 wanting to be the next Exeter, the logical thing would be to have ground criteria at Prem level that are reasonably achievable for those in the tiers below, while having some rules or incentives to clubs joining the Championship to provide decent spectator facilities as a stepping stone to the top tier.

Such a system might boost crowds through a combination of real promotion battles every year to create public interest, encouraging existing Championship clubs to develop their facilities and making clubs like, say, B/Moseley and Plymouth A who do have decent stadiums and potential to attract big crowds better able to attract investment and climb back up.

As it stands, the Championship's weaknesses are the result of two decades of RFU neglect and its strengths due to the efforts of the clubs in adversity.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 15:22

What would we want for the Championship?

Better coverage, ideally on Terrestrial TV
But given that there are Premiership games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, any live coverage offered is likely to be mid-week.

Could we schedule a week, when the TV company wants games on Mondays or Thursdays?

How much would your club need to move two home games to one of those days, and provide sufficient lights and camera positions.
I think it might be possible for a club to move their televised game or swap their games if the opposition has better facilities.

And would that differ if we were on BBC2, E4 or Talk Sports

I am sure that if we were on BBC TV, then BBC radio would mention us in the sports bulletins. SO I think that is worth much more.

If we were not offered live coverage, would we accept a weekly round-up programme - Rugby Special style - on Sunday or Monday?

Again, what could we offer, and what would we need?

And in either case, how much extra do we think we would get from our individual club sponsors by getting their logos on TV?

Talking of sponsors, what about a league sponsor.

How much would we sell that for - given the RFU may well cut their funding to match.

Of course, we are in a catch 22, the more eyes on the Championship, the more it is worth to a sponsor.
But we cannot run a marketing campaign without sponsorship money.
We are also going to find it easier to get sponsorship if we are on TV, and more likely to be invited onto TV if we have sponsors and larger gates.

But, where I disagree, is that I do not see revivifying dead brands as a route to success.
And I blame lack of investment by the RFU over the last 20 years -and more importantly, the lack of coverage - as being at the root cause of the decline.

There was discussion a couple of years ago about a TV deal that would have seen 1 game broadcast every Thursday evening. There were issues around this - not only the likelihood of fewer supporters wanting to attend, but the knock-on effect on player welfare, as clubs playing on a Thursday couldn't be expected to play the previous Sunday, and even a Saturday game would have necessitated a 5-day turnaround. No doubt some technical challenges too. After a few months the idea was canned.

With only 10 teams left in it at present, you wonder if the Prem might give up the Friday evening or Sunday afternoon slot, thereby freeing it up for second tier games - that's what happens in France, with all ProD2 games played on Fridays with the exception of one that shifts forward 24hrs to Thursday evening. Just one of a legion of examples of how the French game operates on a whole different level to our's...
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 15:33
In my mind all of this is hogwash. The Premiership is not investable as a business so on what basis could the Championship become investable.

Rich people with big egos and admittedly also a love for rugby pitched into professional rugby. Some of the smarter guys eventually found a way to stem the losses by either giving their 'business' away for a nominal £1 or admitting defeat and going to the wall. How many of the current 'investors' who are locked into their Premiership 'investment' would repeat the experience again?

Most of them cannot pull out for fear of the social opprobrium they would face.....and they suffer continuous heavy annual losses with no real prospect of any recovery.   

Rugby Union isn't football it is a niche sport with the sword of Damocles hanging over it in the shape of the concussion issue. 

I think King Billy is bonkers if he believes professional rugby outside of the international sphere is 'investable' ......of course if you offer an investor a CVC type deal where they get a top slice return from the broadcast turnover without taking the cost risk associated with that broadcast revenue then they all would be in. 

However even King Billy wouldn't be daft enough to offer that kind of deal .............or would he?

As an addendum I would add that in my experience when a business sector is properly established (normally after say 5 or 6 years an perhaps up to 10 years........ Professional rugby in England has being going for 20 years) and the whole sector is still making pretty horrendous losses then what it says is that the sector isn't about winners and losers....it is all losing and it is un-investable!

After 20 years what is going to change the financial fortunes of professional rugby.....nothing as far as I can see. Professional rugby is not investable.

Edited by Big Eddie - 24 Jan 2024 at 16:52
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 16:24
Islander - I was not expecting the Premiership to lift their little finger to help the Championship.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 17:30
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Probably the same approach that made them think they would be viable in Coventry.

Agreed, although moving to Coventry they had the stadium and more local rugby fans.
RAID ON
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 19:36

Islander - I was not expecting the Premiership to lift their little finger to help the Championship.

I'd say that was the only rational way to view the Premiership... altho' surely they'll have to make some concessions, won't they? Sweeney's interview with BBC Cornwall implied there wasn't as big a gap between the factions as was being made out, but then again it may have been yet another case of him living up to his initials...
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 23:07
The RFU has made its position pretty clear. They are not going to restore funding to pre-Covid levels, as they promised to do when cutting it, but will provide small sums to reimburse the cost of clubs taking on Player Development Pathway players - i.e. young players who the Prem clubs may or may not have to shed because of the need to cut their own costs. 

The key word there is "reimburse" because obviously it costs Championship clubs to have young players as part of their training group and it is not clear if the Championship clubs would have responsibility for paying these young players a wage as well as training costs. Nor has the RFU spelt out how many PDP players the Championship clubs are expected to take on, nor whether they would be attached to the Tier 2 clubs for long spells or, like London Scottish with Harlequins, Ampthill and Saracens, they drop in and drop out and the Champ DoRs never know who they are getting till the last minute. 

If the idea of this PDP is that every Championship club becomes like London Scottish, I really doubt many of them would be interested in participating. Certainly not for 1/12th of £1m as "reimbursement".

The only other sum of money on offer from the RFU is a sum of I think £1.4m which Twickenham will spend as it sees fit on "marketing" and other central costs. The clubs will get £1.6m to share but will have to pay their insurance costs of about £600K from that, so it's £1m between 11 or about £90K per club. Less than the £150-160K they have had this season. It's all in this piece.  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/01/10/championship-clubs-hit-back-sweeney-ultimatum-premiership-2/ 

The article also mentions, which maybe Nat 1 club folk on RM can confirm, that Mr Sweeney has been visiting NCA clubs to see if they want to apply to join the new Tier 2. I know he was at Rosslyn Park recently and told the press before Christmas that he had been to Richmond v Rams the previous week. So maybe while all this jaw-jaw goes on, the RFU's real aim is to circumvent the existing Championship clubs and construct a league of their own devising. The big question then is how would they apply Minimum Standards to that league without disqualifying the likes of Chinnor or Rams who don't have proper covered stands at their grounds. Park's ground wouldn't pass muster either, would it? 

The RFU are past masters at creating chaos, but this time they are looking to outdo themselves. 
Broken down. Beyond repair.
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 07:42
Yup Breakdown…. all smoke and mirrors and chicanery from King Billy. He must think rugby people are too stupid to see through his spin and dissembling bol**cks
''The future isn't what it used to be''
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 10:21
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

Yup Breakdown…. all smoke and mirrors and chicanery from King Billy. He must think rugby people are too stupid to see through his spin and dissembling bol**cks

To be honest, rugby has been in this bind since 1995. The RFU should have gone straight to professionalism based on the Divisional sides rotating round the grounds of the (then) leading clubs - but they didn't.

Having not grasped that nettle they should at the very least have linked minimum standards off the pitch to promotion (incrementally, obviously) up and down the levels - but they didn't really do that either. 

So we've ended up with this complete horlicks where ideally you want investment on and off the pitch - some, like Donny and Cov, have managed it*. Other models have been pursued like renting other grounds and having assets that basically amount to a training ground and a squad - if that. Which leaves very little wiggle room if the taps turn off. 

Meanwhile Plymouth and Mose to name but two relentlessly invested in their facilities and infrastructure at the expense of the squad - leading them both to leave eventually through the bottom with great grounds but passed by very very good teams/clubs with little to speak of off the pitch. 

As a Mose fan that's not special pleading, it's just a recognition that our different approach to gambling didn't pay off either - IIRC we were supposed to move to fully professional the season after we got relegated, but the relegation put paid to that - a fully professional Mose in a good modern ground would have been a very different proposition to what we'd been for a long time...

And now we've got premiership clubs disappearing, or tottering. Level 2 is hitting the wall of the lack of logic that the RFU have left it with for about 20 years (without even getting into the looming issue of zombie 'clubs' linked to the level one pro sides, which is blatantly the end game here), and even trapped in the division below we can at least enjoy a more entertaining league as we rattle around our needlessly (now) expensive facilities - it almost feels like a lucky escape.

*we all know that Pirates haven't been able to pull it off, but not for want of trying, so honourable mention
keep the faith
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 10:41
To me we come back to the hypocrisy of the Premiership, 70% of which are in there because of Promotion, yet want to deny that right to others. 

None faced having to meet to minimum standards when they were promoted but were allowed time to bring their grounds up to standard by either developing their existing ground or moving. Something else they deny the opportunities for others to do. 

Until we break this monopoly and restructure to allow automatic promotion and relegation and time and space for new entrants to develop to a minimum standard which suits them - both crowd and finance wise, everything else is just rearranging the deck chairs. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 11:16
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Until we break this monopoly and restructure to allow automatic promotion and relegation and time and space for new entrants to develop to a minimum standard which suits them - both crowd and finance wise, everything else is just rearranging the deck chairs. 

Agree, but a laddering of minimum standards up the levels would have meant that no one was arriving at lever 2 and having to put in place pretty well *everything* though. Access to level 2 with nothing very much more onerous up to that point then 'have you got a fence round the pitch?'* is also an issue

*obviously I exaggerate for effect but you know what I mean. We've basically got a system where there are really very few off the pitch hoops to jump through from levels 9-2, and then an absolutely massive one. I'd agree that the minimum standards for the Premiership should be relaxed (10,001 + seats for a start as the price of admission is bonkers), but equally no one - I'd argue - should for example be in levels 4-2 without floodlights. 

Level 1 standards are far too high, level 2 and below standards are far too low. 

And here we are in consequence.
keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
  Share Topic