National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 11:23
Originally posted by Jester10 Jester10 wrote:

Bill Sweeney was at the Rams v Taunton match yesterday. He witnessed some great running rugby and 69 points scored in total. 

Was he there for the rugby or to help sort out the paperwork, after reading the report in TRP this morning.
Rams happy to apply for the new tier 2.
Although it is now apparent, if this is a professional league, you will need a rich, bored backer.
Minimum ground capacity. 2,000
Press rooms
TV gantries 

A lot of outlay, and paying players, coaches. From a 2,000 gate, if you get your minimum capacity ground filled. 11 home games, plus a cup competition if you’re lucky. 14 games.
So 28,000 spectators a season. £20 per head admission. £560,000 gate revenue. 

I am way from convinced this is a sensible business plan.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 11:29
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

Bill Sweeney was at the Rams v Taunton match yesterday. He witnessed some great running rugby and 69 points scored in total. 

Was he there for the rugby or to help sort out the paperwork, after reading the report in TRP this morning.
Although it is now apparent, if this is a professional league, you will need a rich, bored backer.
Press rooms
TV gantries 

A lot of outlay, and paying players, coaches. From a 2,000 gate, if you get your minimum capacity ground filled. 11 home games, plus a cup competition if you’re lucky. 14 games.

Bill Sweeney has the business sense of a brick, so no surprise there. Have a read of the damning article that explains that the CVC deal in this week's TRP.

Edited by gerg_861 - 28 Jan 2024 at 11:35
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 11:34
Another conspiracy theory; Rams are encouraged to “apply” for Prem 2, only to miraculously rebrand as London Irish.
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 12:07

Hope he paid to get in.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 12:35
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Press rooms
TV gantries 

Bill Sweeney has the business sense of a brick, so no surprise there. Have a read of the damning article that explains that the CVC deal in this week's TRP.

That's deeply insulting.

To bricks.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 12:57
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Another conspiracy theory; Rams are encouraged to “apply” for Prem 2, only to miraculously rebrand as London Irish.

Divide and rule.

P2 MSC of 800 seats by July 2028
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
JohnLowe View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 14:31
Have just read article in today’s Rugby Paper. Is there someone out there who could post a link to it so that everyone else can read please?

Edited by JohnLowe - 28 Jan 2024 at 14:32
Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 18:20
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

I can assure you, that will NEVER happen Smile
Enjoying life!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 18:45

to miraculously rebrand as London Irish.

[/QUOTE]

Irish Rams

Gloucester Old Spots
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 18:50

Press rooms
TV gantries 

Don't forget to deduct 1/6th of gate money for VAT (£93k), so £467k

Jester10 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jester10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 19:27
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

to miraculously rebrand as London Irish.

Irish Rams

Gloucester Old Spots
[/QUOTE]

If you knew anything about Rams and the history you'd know why it would never happen. But why let facts get in the way of a bit of idle gossip? 
Enjoying life!
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 19:58
Tell us about Rams........who is in charge and who makes the decision to accept the RFU Bill Sweeney proposal.

Is it the guy who wanted the club to be a limited company .

Edited by No 7 - 28 Jan 2024 at 21:19
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 00:38
Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

Have just read article in today’s Rugby Paper. Is there someone out there who could post a link to it so that everyone else can read please?

National One leaders Rams are among the clubs to have submitted an expression of interest to join the new Tier 2 League proposed by the RFU.

Reading-based Rams have gone through the 16-page Minimum Operating Standards document and are confident they can meet the mandatory requirements within the timeframes set by the RFU.

A draft copy of the document, which TRP has seen, states that the minimum total licensed capacity of the club’s principal ground should be 2,000 in time for the inaugural season of the competition, which will replace the Championship, in 2025/26.

Or Rams shuffling off to the Premiership-compliant Select Car Leasing Stadium on the other side of town?
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 08:53
With Reading FC being in the serious financial brown stuff,  who knows eh?
Getting into bed with a serial shyster of an owner may not be the best business plan though.

Edited by Kimbo - 29 Jan 2024 at 08:54
Our City,
Our Club
Toulouse View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toulouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 09:08
[QUOTE=Big Eddie]In my mind all of this is hogwash. The Premiership is not investable as a business so on what basis could the Championship become investable.

Rich people with big egos and admittedly also a love for rugby pitched into professional rugby. Some of the smarter guys eventually found a way to stem the losses by either giving their 'business' away for a nominal £1 or admitting defeat and going to the wall. How many of the current 'investors' who are locked into their Premiership 'investment' would repeat the experience again?

Most of them cannot pull out for fear of the social opprobrium they would face.....and they suffer continuous heavy annual losses with no real prospect of any recovery.   

Rugby Union isn't football it is a niche sport with the sword of Damocles hanging over it in the shape of the concussion issue. 

I think King Billy is bonkers if he believes professional rugby outside of the international sphere is 'investable' ......of course if you offer an investor a CVC type deal where they get a top slice return from the broadcast turnover without taking the cost risk associated with that broadcast revenue then they all would be in. 

However even King Billy wouldn't be daft enough to offer that kind of deal .............or would he?

As an addendum I would add that in my experience when a business sector is properly established (normally after say 5 or 6 years an perhaps up to 10 years........ Professional rugby in England has being going for 20 years) and the whole sector is still making pretty horrendous losses then what it says is that the sector isn't about winners and losers....it is all losing and it is un-investable!

After 20 years what is going to change the financial fortunes of professional rugby.....nothing as far as I can see. Professional rugby is not investable.

Absolutely spot on....I hope King Bill reads your post!!!
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 12:40
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

The leadership of the RFU are:

- deluded
- incompetent
- unscrupulous
- undemocratic

They are leading our sport over the abyss into oblivion

As I lie in bed pondering the meaning of life, I had a lightbulb moment (more like a spluttering candle).

On what basis were the RFU allowed to sign away the rights to 6 Nations income to CVC?

Was it within the authority of the Board?

Was it a decision of such profound change as to be outside the scope of their authority? (ultra vires??)

Were all clubs notified of the decision and it's impact - before or after the fact?

At what level (downward) was the decision taken?

Were Premiership clubs the only RFU members who participated in and benefited from the deal?

If outside the scope of the Board's powers, could Premiership clubs afford to repay the debt / income (I believe the clubs have shown the money in their accounts differently) as either P&L income or Balance Sheet loans)

Monday morning musings.

Edited by FHLH - 29 Jan 2024 at 12:43
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 13:54
Unfortunately, I do not believe they are acting ultra vires.
Rule 4.2 gives the Union the power to raise or borrow money "as the board thinks fit".

Of course, the board is meant to be financially competent.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 16:09
If the RFU was a PLC or even a private limited company it would need 75% of its shareholders to vote for an action as profound as selling off what is in effect a 14% top slice of the broadcast revenues from the Six Nations.

I agree with Camquin the non elected Board of the RFU has the power to pretty much do whatever it wants to in regard to raising money..............
''The future isn't what it used to be''
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 17:56
Originally posted by Steve@Mose Steve@Mose wrote:

Originally posted by JohnLowe JohnLowe wrote:

National One leaders Rams are among the clubs to have submitted an expression of interest to join the new Tier 2 League proposed by the RFU.

Reading-based Rams have gone through the 16-page Minimum Operating Standards document and are confident they can meet the mandatory requirements within the timeframes set by the RFU.

A draft copy of the document, which TRP has seen, states that the minimum total licensed capacity of the club’s principal ground should be 2,000 in time for the inaugural season of the competition, which will replace the Championship, in 2025/26.

Or Rams shuffling off to the Premiership-compliant Select Car Leasing Stadium on the other side of town?

Redingensians Irish Rams? LOL
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 20:29
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

I agree with Camquin the non elected Board of the RFU has the power to pretty much do whatever it wants to in regard to raising money..............

So to lose money is sheer incompetence, which I know we have done before. 

I'm still not convinced of CVC being out with Ultra Vires, I'll have to look up 
Ashbury Railway Carriage (1875):

"It was held that by entering into the transaction the company was in breach of its constitution, for it had no ‘competence’ or ‘power’ to make the contract and therefore, the transaction had no legal effect."Ouch

However, the Companies Act 2006 has diminished this restriction so over to the legal eagles 

Edited by FHLH - 29 Jan 2024 at 20:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
  Share Topic