National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 09:20
Originally posted by Paul10 Paul10 wrote:

Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Perhaps now is the time for Oxford and Cambridge Universities to join. They have facilities, they have access to players and could draft in the few spots they couldn't fill (?from Blackheath in Cambridge's case via Shanners Wink)

How good are BUCS clubs when compared to Championship? Exeter, Durham, Hartpury...

That does seem likely but Ex Uni play Nat 2 West.
Is that the same team as the BUCS team?

No, the BUCS team is a different set to the League team. Joe Vajner, formerly of London Irish, started the season for the League team but then switched to the BUCS TEAM.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 09:57
Only 3 teams haven’t posted the championship response on their website/socials; Ealing, Hartpury and London Scottish. Hartpury don’t even have their team news on the website so will let them off. Not sure if anything can be read into the other 2…
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 12:54
Hartpury have been a bit short-handed on the comms front since the very sad passing of their comms man 18ish months ago - he was very efficient, not to mention a real gent. Having said that, their website has been revamped and looks pretty good...
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 08:49
If there ever was a singular identifiable reason to dismiss the RFU's hogwash and absurdity of a franchise model for Premiership 11 Caldy's win yesterday over a full time and in form Doncaster Knights is it.

Caldy's squad of part time players comprised:

- 4 players who came through Caldy's mini and juniors 
- 12 players who are local lads and have played for Caldy through the National Leagues culminating in the promotion to the Championship in 2022
- 4 lads who live locally and joined Caldy this season from lower league sides 
- 1 player from Cheshire who was playing for Jersey and has now returned home
- 2 dual registered players from Sale Sharks (1 starting and 1 on the bench)

Of the above 23 players 5 stepped up from Caldy's 2nd xv for the Doncaster game

Isn't this what club rugby is all about? Players which the local community can recognise and get behind to go on a journey based upon merit not some boll**ks franchise criteria based on branding, facilities and some other unfathomable criteria which will not include 'merit'. 

Bill Sweeney should come to Paton Field and explain to the 1,500 plus supporters who regularly attend Paton Field why their enthusiasm and passionate support isn't wanted by the rFU and they should instead support 'Wasps' or 'Worcester' or Darlington Mowden Park.

Sweeney's recent comments are patronising, insulting, undemocratic and self serving

This franchise model must not succeed!!

''The future isn't what it used to be''
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 09:07
Spot on Big Eddie, absolutely spot on. 
One Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 09:24
I am told he was at lunch at the RAG.
I do not know if he stayed for the match.
If he did, he would have seen a match played in good spirits between two well-matched sides.
Both assembled on a miniscule budget.

Scottish do not own the RAG, so I do not believe they have any plans to develop it.
Cambridge, certainly, could not bring Grantchester Rd up to Premiership standard.
So, if that is a requirement, we would both be out.

I am sure our chairmen will have made a case, possibly in more diplomatic words than I would have used.

Sweeney Delenda Est
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 09:39
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

If there ever was a singular identifiable reason to dismiss the RFU's hogwash and absurdity of a franchise model for Premiership 11 Caldy's win yesterday over a full time and in form Doncaster Knights is it.

- 12 players who are local lads and have played for Caldy through the National Leagues culminating in the promotion to the Championship in 2022

Isn't this what club rugby is all about? Players which the local community can recognise and get behind to go on a journey based upon merit not some boll**ks franchise criteria based on branding, facilities and some other unfathomable criteria which will not include 'merit'. 

Bill Sweeney should come to Paton Field and explain to the 1,500 plus supporters who regularly attend Paton Field why their enthusiasm and passionate support isn't wanted by the rFU and they should instead support 'Wasps' or 'Worcester' or Darlington Mowden Park.

Sweeney's recent comments are patronising, insulting, undemocratic and self serving

This should be a letter to the editor of The Rugby Paper. I've had much worse letters published.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 09:56
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

What a statement, couldn't have put it any better.  Well said Big Eddie
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 10:02
It's interesting that about 95% of all posters on this forum can see that the champ 2 franchise model is ridiculous from both a financial and a meritocracy angle. Yet the RFU and in particular Sweeney can't see it or refuse to see it. Perhaps it is tough to justify such a meaty pay packet on such a small professional game. Aren't all County bodies run by volunteers? At what level do paid employees from the RFU actually get involved?

To justify the big RFU wage bill perhaps they need to show that the game is growing even if it flies in the face of all logic and available evidence. Build a big stadium, set off some fireworks pre-match and watch the crowds flock in. Simple Big smile
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 10:30
It's much like the vanity project that was rugby X. A fast 5 a side game that could be played in small areas and reach a new demographic and audience perfect for inner-city schools. The problem is that 90% of all target inner-city schools don't have facilities that allow any contact sport to be played. Lots of bluster and marketing and talk of expanding the game but absolutely no research done beforehand. 

The RFU has a major issue. It fails to listen and work with its members who have built up a massive amount of hands-on knowledge. They have an idea or an objective based on their own limited understanding of issues and will not be swayed regardless of well constructed opposition. They believe themselves to be infallible. 

Rant over. Enjoy Xmas and New year.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 10:43
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

If he did, he would have seen a match played in good spirits between two well-matched sides.

Scottish do not own the RAG, so I do not believe they have any plans to develop it.
Cambridge, certainly, could not bring Grantchester Rd up to Premiership standard.

I am sure our chairmen will have made a case, possibly in more diplomatic words than I would have used.

London Scottish do seem to have a bit of a tie up with Civil Service RFC by the fact that the Scottish 2nd XV seem to have priority on the CS first team pitch and they appear to have funded a new 3G there. So perhaps there is a plan in the pipeline?

Edited by Robb - 24 Dec 2023 at 10:45
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 11:29
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

London Scottish do seem to have a bit of a tie up with Civil Service RFC by the fact that the Scottish 2nd XV seem to have priority on the CS first team pitch and they appear to have funded a new 3G there. So perhaps there is a plan in the pipeline?

A few seasons ago London Scottish did have plans to move away from RAG 
“We have identified a number of sites for a new permanent home in South West London, where we can develop all our activities, from minis and juniors and girls’ rugby, through to touch and amateur rugby and of course sustain our professional 1st XV at the highest achievable level."

They backed down from a temp move to Esher and I was told they had their eyes on an existing Rugby ground but then the news went silent. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Monkey Magic View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 13:29

London Scottish do not have a 2nd XV - only half a 1st XV LOLLOL!! That is all they have- hence an average of 11 DRs/loans per game this season.

The London Scottish Lions are a separate club hence LS had to loan a forward from them even though they are  level 7 or 8 ( who sat on the bench) to fulfil the front row criteria for the Ealing game
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 16:47
I presume LS are waiting to be told by Quins which way they should go - bearing in mind half their team are DR or Loans from Quins.

Is it possible that the PR2 will be filled with Premiership 2nd teams - they have access to qualifying grounds and need somewhere for thereAcademy players to play.

Would also mean more RFU money coming their way.
RAID ON
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 17:34
Allegedly the Premiership A league is to be resurrected to give younger players “game time”, so along with the proposed reduction in Premiership clubs’ squad size to 35 there would presumably be fewer DRa and loanees available. So “Premiership 2” clubs will need to fund their squad, invest in their grounds and facilities against as yet unspecified, but certainly expensive criteria and, before they can be accepted by the cartel, spend millions in buying Premiership shares. Meanwhile the RFU has rejected “throwing money at the Championship” as it apparently didn’t work, despite empirical evidence to the contrary.

Edited by cheshire exile - 24 Dec 2023 at 19:35
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 19:17
Originally posted by Monkey Magic Monkey Magic wrote:

London Scottish do not have a 2nd XV - only half a 1st XV LOLLOL!! That is all they have- hence an average of 11 DRs/loans per game this season.

The London Scottish Lions are a separate club hence LS had to loan a forward from them even though they are  level 7 or 8 ( who sat on the bench) to fulfil the front row criteria for the Ealing game

Same thing to me. Just a bit of legal finagling like London Welsh, Wasps, London Irish and Jersey have done in the past to get their "2nd XV"/amateur sides in the leagues.

Edited by Robb - 24 Dec 2023 at 19:17
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 09:01
Just read the original statement.

They start on the Christmas Sherry early at HQ!

So it seems every Championship Club has said no to this farce.
Now I read yesterday that a number of National One clubs want a National competition not a North/South affair. 

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 17:22
Is it not a good idea to put down in writing a template of what the Championship sides want going forward. I can start things off. Please feel free to add some ideas, mock my suggestions, and suggest amendments, but let's see if we can build up a blueprint.

I am assuming the premiership will remain a ten club outfit.

I am suggesting the Championship becomes a 14 team league, with the top three teams from National League One joining in.

TEAMS
1.     Ealing Trailfinders
2.     Coventry
3.     Bedford
4.     Doncaster
5.     Cornish Pirates
6.     Hartpury College
7.     Ampthill
8.     Caldy
9.     Cambridge
10.     London Scottish
11.     Nottingham
12.     Chinnor
13.     Rams
14.     Plymouth Albion

PROMOTION AND RELEGATION
•     There will be no play offs.
•     The team who finishes top of the Championship will be promoted to the Premiership, swapping places with the bottom team in the Premiership.
•     The team who finishes top of the Championship must have a ground capacity of 5,001 plus.
•     The two teams who finish bottom in the Championship will be relegated and replaced by the top two sides in National League One.

SQUADS
•     The squads for each Championship side cannot exceed 35.
•     Full details of the squad must be submitted one week before the first game of the season.
•     The introduction of a transfer window in January every year.

FUNDING
•     The RFU will fund each club with a minimum of £500,000 per annum.
•     A TV contract will be agreed to show live Championship matches with the monies being split equally between all the Championship sides.

Just a bit of fun really with a serious hidden side.

Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 21:53
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

Is it not a good idea to put down in writing a template of what the Championship sides want going forward. I can start things off. Please feel free to add some ideas, mock my suggestions, and suggest amendments, but let's see if we can build up a blueprint.

I am assuming the premiership will remain a ten club outfit.

I am suggesting the Championship becomes a 14 team league, with the top three teams from National League One joining in.

<snip>

The more teams in a Premiership 2/Championship means less money for each.  After the RFU spaff money on the Premiership, the rest will be sharing a farthing between them.

Reading the Twickenham tealeaves, the second tier will be a max of 10 clubs.  If the three 'brands' are to be included - and possibly Jersey, you are looking for six/seven existing clubs to fill the spaces.  Factoring in 'ground conditions' that no doubt will be included - but watered down slightly - you can easily reduce the numbers.  Maybe throw in some kind of geographical coverage and the clubs start almost to select themselves. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 22:06
The Championship teams stick together and the franchises are dead in the water and so is the RFU, this is a  war, sadly there are rarely winners in such situations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic