National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Premiership II plans announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 19:53
Thanks for your insights. You say there may be insurance available, but that it would be prohibitively expensive. With all due respect, if you don't know whether or not it exists, how can you say that it would be uneconomical?
Big Eddie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 20:09
Originally posted by Se7en Se7en wrote:

Thanks for your insights. You say there may be insurance available, but that it would be prohibitively expensive. With all due respect, if you don't know whether or not it exists, how can you say that it would be uneconomical?

Because I am not involved in the operations of Caldy or any rugby club I don't know if there is such specific insurance available regarding match postponements. However I have considered insurance for other one off weather dependent events .....we never took the insurance offered as it was restrictive and too expensive.

''The future isn't what it used to be''
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 21:40
We also have Pirates recent experience of an abandoned match at Ealing owing to a serious injury to a player caused (allegedly) by a high tackle from a home player (has a disciplinary committee reviewed this?). We are faced with another 550 mile round trip for the rearranged fixture.
Covered by insurance? I’ve no idea.
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 22:39
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

We also have Pirates recent experience of an abandoned match at Ealing owing to a serious injury to a player caused (allegedly) by a high tackle from a home player (has a disciplinary committee reviewed this?). We are faced with another 550 mile round trip for the rearranged fixture.
Covered by insurance? I’ve no idea.
There’s nothing on the RFU disciplinary findings webpage so it appears to have been considered a ‘rugby incident’, albeit a very alarming one for all involved and present.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 07:32
At the risk of bringing this thread back on topic (and yes Se7en your query should have been posted separately - tut! Wink)...

The Champ Clubs Podcast is invariably worth a listen and some interesting stuff on latest episode from CCC NED Simon Cohen - LINK
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 08:12
Reading all of this I understand people’s outrage, and yes I feel that way too, but what gets me is ‘is this even legal’? And does it sit within the governance / regulations that define the structure of our game?

If it is legal then we are likely screwed, if not then surely we need to take this to court?
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 08:29
I am going to be very interested if this goes ahead how they are getting the master plan of Wasps etc back in at this level.
Se7en View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Se7en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 09:08
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

At the risk of bringing this thread back on topic (and yes Se7en your query should have been posted separately - tut! Wink)...

The Champ Clubs Podcast is invariably worth a listen and some interesting stuff on latest episode from CCC NED Simon Cohen - LINK

Ah Islander, good to hear from you. I thought you had gone AWOL after the unfortunate demise of your club Jersey Reds as I hadn't seen you on here for a while. It might be that I wasn't looking hard enough though. And point taken, that's a fair one as I was straying off topic back there!

Have you taken to following Jersey RFC now? They are an impressive team, currently walking Regional 2 and all but guaranteed promotion to Level 5, and then who knows, maybe the National Leagues. Hope you're well.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 09:15
I was looking at stadium costs, as I had no idea. My numbers come from reports on Wikipedia. I would take them with a pinch of salt. If someone has better numbers, please correct me.

It seems that Rotherham and Shrewsbury built 10,000 seater stadiums about 10 years ago and each came in around £10 million. But Brighton's 30,000 seater cost nearer £100 million.

I do not know how much is higher land prices in the south, the requirement for more land both for the larger stadium footprint and for parking, the complexity of the Brighton site itself, and how much is the fact that it is a double-decker structure and therefore intrinsically more complex?

But, most of those would apply to Wasps, and we also know there has been significant inflation.

So if they were to build a 28,000 seater, I suspect they would be looking at possibly £200m, if they could borrow over 20 years at moderate interest, financing costs in the region of £20 million a year.

Which essentially means you need to fill it at every match at £30 a ticket to cover the building costs. With running costs, make that £40, plus VAT, so almost £50.

And even at that, you need the sponsorship and f&b sales to pay for the team costs.

That might make sense for Leicester, who have got that sort of fan base, built up over the years, but I just do not see it working for a new side in a new location.

But, if they were to go for the more modest stadium, you possibly only need 5,000 fans at £25 a ticket.

I do wonder if it is a bait and switch. Initially propose a 30,000 seater, and then when people object to the size, graciously offer to go for the smaller 15,000 seater, possibly with only one 5,000 seat stand built initially and others added as needed.

Sweeney Delenda Est
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 09:27
Leicester Lions new club house cost over £2 million for a quite modest building and they owned the land under it, financed by selling the old first team pitch for housing, I cannot begin to think what it would cost for a premiership ground.
rugbychris View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugbychris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 10:11
I don't know about the financial aspects of building a stadium but the length of time spent to secure land, planning and then construction takes a very long time. Brighton last played at the Goldstone in 1997 and first moved to the AMEX in 2011. Wimbledon last played at Plough lane in 1991 and first played at new stadium in 2020. Wasps would be better served getting behind their amateurs and creating a phoenix.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 15:48
Originally posted by rugbychris rugbychris wrote:

I don't know about the financial aspects of building a stadium but the length of time spent to secure land, planning and then construction takes a very long time. Brighton last played at the Goldstone in 1997 and first moved to the AMEX in 2011. Wimbledon last played at Plough lane in 1991 and first played at new stadium in 2020. Wasps would be better served getting behind their amateurs and creating a phoenix.

Brighton spent a long time getting planning permission for the Amex, kept looking at alternative sites but eventually got permission for the ground on their original first option.

Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes as MK Don's, a fledgling club was started which eventually went to current ground.

Wasps have no money, no players and no stadium.

Who in their right minds would lend them money to build a stadium costing in excess of £100m when they owe tens of millions from their past life which they appear to have no intention of repaying?
RAID ON
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 17:10
Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

F

I find it to be one of the biggest sporting injustices ever!

Take a look at Rugby League from 2025 onwards

"IMG Grading for the Rugby Football League is a set of proposals set out in 2022 by the British Rugby Football League's new strategic partner IMG, in which all clubs playing in the professional levels of the British rugby league system will be graded, with their rank determining which division each club will play. The proposals were accepted by a majority vote of British rugby league stakeholders in 2023 with implementation starting in the 2024 season.

The grading in the new system will see:

Grade A clubs will be guaranteed a place in Super League, and will be exempt relegation.

Grade B clubs will be eligible to participate in Super League, and the highest ranked Grade B clubs will occupy the remaining slots.

Grade C clubs will be illegible for Super League thus can only compete in the Championship and League One.

Grades will be reassessed annually. London Broncos despite a Super League club have been assessed as a Grade B - but at the bottom of that group."

IMG, originally known as the International Management Group, is a global sports, fashion, events and media company headquartered in New York City.

The company manages athletes and fashion celebrities; owns, operates and commercially represents live events; and is an independent producer and distributor of sports and entertainment media. It has been owned by Endeavor* since 2013.

* Endeavor Group Holdings, Inc. (formerly William Morris Endeavor and WME-IMG) is an American holding company for talent and media agencies with its primary offices in Beverly Hills, California, United States. The company was founded in April 2009 after the merger of the William Morris Agency and Endeavor Talent Agency. Endeavor represents artists in film, television, music, theater, digital media, and publishing. It also represents the NFL and NHL. Endeavor owns Professional Bull Riders (PBR) and is majority owner of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) through TKO Group.n collegiate athletics Endeavor-Learfield IMG represents The American, A10, Big 12, Conference USA, Horizon League, MAC, MEAC, OVC, SEC and WCC

Edited by FHLH - 12 Jan 2024 at 17:15
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 17:19
Well just to let you know the cost of land in the south East Blackheath are in the final throws of completing the purchase of the freehold for our Well Hall(Eltham)ground and as sitting tenants we have got it for the knock down price of around £1.3m, it has a sports covenant on it. For those that don’t know it has 2 rugby pitches, 2 football pitches and a 3G pitch reasonable size clubhouse and stands. There is no way you could build a premiership stadium on the site.
So many Christians not enough Lions
Nat1 View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 17:51
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Big Eddie Big Eddie wrote:

F

I find it to be one of the biggest sporting injustices ever!

Take a look at Rugby League from 2025 onwards

"IMG Grading for the Rugby Football League is a set of proposals set out in 2022 by the British Rugby Football League's new strategic partner IMG, in which all clubs playing in the professional levels of the British rugby league system will be graded, with their rank determining which division each club will play. The proposals were accepted by a majority vote of British rugby league stakeholders in 2023 with implementation starting in the 2024 season.

The grading in the new system will see:

Grade A clubs will be guaranteed a place in Super League, and will be exempt relegation.

Grade B clubs will be eligible to participate in Super League, and the highest ranked Grade B clubs will occupy the remaining slots.

Grade C clubs will be illegible for Super League thus can only compete in the Championship and League One.

Grades will be reassessed annually. London Broncos despite a Super League club have been assessed as a Grade B - but at the bottom of that group."

IMG, originally known as the International Management Group, is a global sports, fashion, events and media company headquartered in New York City.

The company manages athletes and fashion celebrities; owns, operates and commercially represents live events; and is an independent producer and distributor of sports and entertainment media. It has been owned by Endeavor* since 2013.

* Endeavor Group Holdings, Inc. (formerly William Morris Endeavor and WME-IMG) is an American holding company for talent and media agencies with its primary offices in Beverly Hills, California, United States. The company was founded in April 2009 after the merger of the William Morris Agency and Endeavor Talent Agency. Endeavor represents artists in film, television, music, theater, digital media, and publishing. It also represents the NFL and NHL. Endeavor owns Professional Bull Riders (PBR) and is majority owner of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) through TKO Group.n collegiate athletics Endeavor-Learfield IMG represents The American, A10, Big 12, Conference USA, Horizon League, MAC, MEAC, OVC, SEC and WCC

No!! Don't get him started FHLH, there was an almighty back and forth ding dong about the RFU, Governance and the future of all things rugby union on another thread the other day 😀 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 09:42
Seems the EPCR are surprised that Championship sides did not apply for the three vacant slots in the European Cup to replace the three lost Premiership clubs, the RFU didn't bother telling them they could.
Also

The Times are running a similar story.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 22:32
The Rugby paper had a story on funding.
According to the Nottingham chairman, Prem II is being offered £4m.
Of which £1.4 will go to the new organising body.
£1m will go to player development - though it is not clear what that means.

Leaving £1.6m for the clubs.
However, the RFU will no long supply insurance, so £600k goes on that.
Leaving £80k per club - or less than the cost of having an ambulance on site.

As Mr Gow of Nottingham points out, that is a 50% funding cut.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 22:46
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Of which £1.4 will go to the new organising body.
£1m will go to player development - though it is not clear what that means.

T'he £1.4m will be spent either by the new organising body, which could mean PRL or the RFU or something new we don't know about. It will go on marketing and other centralised costs and while the clubs may benefit from that spending, they will not be able to influence it.

The £1m will be paid to clubs for taking a significant number (more than 10 per club) of young players who the Prem clubs have to get off their squads urgently, but there are strings attached to that, such as these young players being only available at times chosen by the Prem clubs. The clubs are objecting to this because of the lack of detail but also because the apparent model for all clubs is London Scottish. No club (I suspect not even London Scottish) wants to be in that boat - it would be what one of the Championship bosses called a "zombie league".

But obviously that £1m, divided between 11 clubs, will have a cost attached too, that is to say having to train and look after (to some extent) these young players. 
Broken down. Beyond repair.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 22:55
Hopefully it will be 12 clubs by then.
So it is another £80,000 per club.

So it might just come to the current funding.
Which does not sound like it would permit a fully professional league.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 23:08
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Hopefully it will be 12 clubs by then.
So it is another £80,000 per club.

So it might just come to the current funding.
Which does not sound like it would permit a fully professional league.

Well, it's a model for a fully zombie league, but not for a fully professional, independent league. 

Every day that passes, I feel more and more sure we are heading for a British league and a top English league consisting of those 2-4 Prem clubs that don't make it into that, the top 6-8 current Championship clubs, maybe one or more of the "brands" and perhaps the one or two of the more ambitious Nat 1 clubs prepared to try and maintain a professional model. It might work. 
Broken down. Beyond repair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>
  Share Topic