National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

En bloc Championship relegation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: En bloc Championship relegation
    Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 12:24
You couldn't make it up.

All Championship clubs have been threatened with relegation if they don't sign up to Prem 2.

Sweeney is clearly a bananaing tosspot

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 12:27
Where have you seen this please?
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 13:13
I told you this is a war
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 13:40
Today's Rugby Paper front page.(extract) 

SIMON Halliday has condemned the threat by RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney to relegate the 11 Championship clubs if they fail to sign up to the “Premiership 2” franchise plans in the PGP deal, as not only outside RFU regulations, but also probably illegal.

As the gridlock between the Championship and the RFU intensified going into the new year, Halliday told The Rugby Paper: “We are asking whether it is legal for us in the Championship to be relegated en bloc to the top of the unfunded community league pyramid because we disagree with some RFU administrators about our future.”

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 13:53
I do not believe we have seen anything in black and white, but the press reports are that the RFU will set up Premiership II with whoever applies, and there will be no funding for those that don't - so no change there then.

If the RFU wants clubs to apply, then they will need to send clubs - and any other potentially interested parties - a detailed proposal. I think that the Guardian report said that would come in February.

They have said it will be based on facilities, and if they require a capacity of 5,000 - I believe only Coventry, Doncaster and Ealing qualify. If there has to be a plan to increase to 10,000 then that list could drop to the Knights.

Outside the Championship, Darlington Mowdem Park - if the arean can pass a safety inspection.

If Premiership II gets sponsorship, a TV deal and a salary cap that makes it viable, I would expect Soccer or League clubs to apply. As they have suitable stadia already - so 'just' need to recruit or partner with a team.

If the RFU does not create a viable commercial offering, why would any Rugby club apply.

Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:48
Actually this wouldn't be a bad idea if (a big if) a new governing body could take control of English rugby from National League down. Leave the morally bankrupt Sweeney and his almost bankrupt clubs and pointless franchises to implode in Premierships I and II well away from the sport of rugby.

And no I couldn't care less about the England national team.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 18:31
If this threat is carried out, the sport will be a laughing stock.
Our 13 a side cousins will be rolling on the floor with laughter.
Looking forward to new beginnings.
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 19:16
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Actually this wouldn't be a bad idea if (a big if) a new governing body could take control of English rugby from National League down. Leave the morally bankrupt Sweeney and his almost bankrupt clubs and pointless franchises to implode in Premierships I and II well away from the sport of rugby.

And no I couldn't care less about the England national team.

Spot on ClapClap
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 21:21
Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

You couldn't make it up.

All Championship clubs have been threatened with relegation if they don't sign up to Prem 2.

Sweeney is clearly a bananaing tosspot

Ding ding, lawsuit! 

If this is true, Sweeny really has declared war on the English rugby pyramid and meritocracy. 
Breakdown View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breakdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 22:51
Camquin,

PII won't get sponsorship if nobody knows who is going to be in it, nor a TV deal. My understanding is the Prem clubs are deadset on stopping the reappearance of the clubs which went bust, so it will be an odd league - one or two who crumble in the fact of RFU pressure, but if it's a 5K capacity criterion, then only Knights is a possibility. Then what? DMP maybe - Sweeney called them out by name before Christmas, but I've heard the guys who dug DMP out of their recent hole are not very enthusiastic about the plan unless it's very well funded. 

It's not looking very good for the plan right now. Maybe they will pull a big rabbit with diamonds on its collar out of the hat at the last moment. 

Broken down. Beyond repair.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 09:07
Originally posted by Breakdown Breakdown wrote:

...so it will be an odd league - one or two who crumble in the fact of RFU pressure, but if it's a 5K capacity criterion, then only Knights is a possibility. 

You do realise that at least three other Championship clubs 'qualify' on that particular criterion?
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 09:18
It is the "intention to join the premiership" that could rule out Coventry, Ealing and Bedford. 
As far as i know, none have a viable path to a 10,000 seater at their current location - not due to lack of ambition, but due to lack of council backing.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 09:33
Yes, Camquin.
But can you say that's so for Cov? I can't comment on the other two.
From where I'm sitting, Coventry City Council are supporting the club in their planning requirements. You may wish to consult with Nick Johnson if there are still doubts on that score, as he is dealing with the issue.

(My comment addressed that sole mentioned erroneously-applied criterion btw. I'm quite aware of the ongoing requirements, ta).
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 10:07
Happy to be corrected. Hopefully Coventry will grow organically to the point these developments are needed every week.

There are probably solutions that could be made to work for other clubs.

Ampthill could move the 10 miles to Stadium MK (10 miles)
Cambridge could move to the Abbey stadium (3 miles)
Nottingham could move to the County Ground (<1 mile)

But, I cannot see the upside. You are adding rent and probably losing the revenue from wet sales. 
Not to mention splitting the first team away from the club and losing atmosphere.
Sweeney Delenda Est
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 11:37
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Yes, Camquin.
From where I'm sitting, Coventry City Council are supporting the club in their planning requirements. You may wish to consult with Nick Johnson if there are still doubts on that score, as he is dealing with the issue.

(My comment addressed that sole mentioned erroneously-applied criterion btw. I'm quite aware of the ongoing requirements, ta).

I realise that of course Coventry are ambitious to progress but as a supporter would you want to gain promotion to Sweeney's dream?
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 11:38
I quite agree. Clubs need their own grounds and to control their revenues.
It didn't work for Nottingham before.
Our City,
Our Club
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 14:15
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Yes, Camquin.

I realise that of course Coventry are ambitious to progress but as a supporter would you want to gain promotion to Sweeney's dream?
I'd hope that by the time Cov are in a position to be promoted, Sweeney is nowhere to be seen.
Our City,
Our Club
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 11:56
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Where have you seen this please?

Going back to the 31st December 2023 when this question was posed. 
Why has there not been any reportage from any reputable news hound regarding this 'alleged' proposal to relegate any Championship club who does not accept the RFU terms?
It seems incredulous that there has not been a single response to this. I know that rugby is a minority sport and especially so at any level below the Premiership but this news, if true, would be worthy of a few column inches, if only to question the morality and legality of any such threat.
If this had appeared on 1st April I think that we all would have rumbled a good April Fools joke.

Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 13:11
It was all over The Rugby Paper last week

Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 13:47
Is it possible to paste a link to the article?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic